battery drain issues

1x1wraps

Reaction score
I am having huge battery drain issues. I have wifi, gps, and bluetooth turned off and brightness all the way down. I have a bbc news and weather channel widgets running, and a few other apps on the phone as well. I had a 100% charge, used dolphin browser, and I now have an 82% charge 52 minutes since unplugged. Checking battery use stats, display using 50%, dolphin using 37%, system 8%, standby 5%, core apps 2%, panda home 2%. It seems like this is an unusually large amount of battery being used up. I am wondering ig I should go to verizon and get a new battery, or there is something I can do to make it last longer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sounds like it could be the bbc widget and weather channel widget. Do you know how often they pull data? Also how long were you on the web? 37% looks like you were surfing for a while.

ShowTime

Reaction score
If you were surfing the web for nearly an hour, along with even just 2 running widgets, 18% battery use actually sounds like a bit less drain than I would expect.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I don't use Dolphin. It's a resource hog imo.I have had widgets put a load on the battery, namely an older version of Weatherbug. Pull widgets one at a time, and see if it helps. Sometimes, a factory data reset is the only way to get things running smooth again.

OP

1x1wraps

Reaction score
Of that hour, I was surfing for 30 mins max. I am not sure how often the widgets pull data, but I'll try to uninstall to see if that helps. Also, my phone usually gets about 13 hours of life if that information would be useful.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
A couple of things, first how long have you had the phone?? Second have you done a complete cycle of the battery (i.e. drain it till it shuts off then charge it completely, and then some)?

The battery is a Lithium-ion but you still have to train the power management system (i.e. the program that tracks the battery usage/life). This is why most people will notice a large increase in battery life during the first week+. Those that don't are usually coming close to following the programing procedures w/o realizing it.

Moto recommends 2 complete drain and charges to fully condition the power management system and the battery (yes, I said the battery, it's been sitting around unused for who knows how long, that's not good even for Li-ion).

If you have done this than keep an eye on what's using your power (settings>about>battery use) and see what is really draining your battery and get back to us. The news feed and weather widget are def suspects if they are syncing to often.

OyVOid

Reaction score
. I am wondering ig I should go to verizon and get a new battery, or there is something I can do to make it last longer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I thought the same. After the third day of having the phone I actually went back to Verizon store and told them I needed to replace the battery because I thought it was defective. The battery drain after a hour of use was crazy. The sales girl who owned a droid herself showed me what she did to save her charge. Then she downloaded the Advanced Task Manager for me on mine and I think it's been a battery lifesaver since. The more advanced Droid users on this forum may disagree with me, but I think you should do what is right for you as an end user. Since we all pretty much use our Droid differently, it will be difficult to diagnose the exact cause of the drain. But for me, having the task manager show me that there are 9 apps running in the background using X amount of space is enough to convince me the killer task manager is a valuable app to have.

Last edited: