Samsung's Gear VR May Be Hitting Store Shelves on December 1st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-gear-vr-oculus-logo.jpg

The latest intel out out of Samsung-land is that their Gear VR headset may hit retail store shelves as early as December 1st of this year. That would make for an exciting holiday season of VR gaming for Samsung users. As a reminder, the Gear VR headset is designed to work in tandem with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, although Sammy is working on broader platform compatibility for the device.

Here's a quote with some more details,

The manufacturer initially did not reveal any exact information about the release date or the price of its virtual reality accessory, but a recently-leaked internal document purportedly hints that Samsung might be gearing towards a launch on December 1, at least in its home turf at South Korea. Reportedly, the Gear VR might fetch a KRW 200,000 ($187) price tag. Then again, you'd also need to spare some cash for the Galaxy Note 4 if you want to use of Samsung's VR accessory.

Which of our members are planning to pick this up as well as the Galaxy Note 4? Do you think this first solid evolution of the Virtual Reality concept will finally take off into the mainstream, or will it remain a niche product for now?

Source: PhoneArena

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
samsung-gear-vr-oculus-logo.jpg

The latest intel out out of Samsung-land is that their Gear VR headset may hit retail store shelves as early as December 1st of this year. That would make for an exciting holiday season of VR gaming for Samsung users. As a reminder, the Gear VR headset is designed to work in tandem with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, although Sammy is working on broader platform compatibility for the device.

Here's a quote with some more details,

Which of our members are planning to pick this up as well as the Galaxy Note 4? Do you think this first solid evolution of the Virtual Reality concept will finally take off into the mainstream, or will it remain a niche product for now?

Source: PhoneArena
Very niche. I'll have to check it out in store before making a decision. Even then, I can't see paying even as much as I do for an Xbox One game, but maybe I'll add it to my Christmas list if it's not outrageously priced.

Getting the phone for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nice idea but I think that manufacturers, even phone manufacturers would benefit even more if they made their "accessories" compatible with ALL manufacturers' phones. Why limit your potential buyer base to only those who have the phone from you that it's exclusive to? What if I want that device but would NEVER own a Samsung phone - especially after owning one in the past and having been disappointed it its performance or GUI? Just because I may prefer one phone over another doesn't mean I might not LOVE this appliance/accessory. By being exclusive to Samsung means I'll shop elsewhere. I'm SURELY not going to replace my phone AND buy that just to have it. YRMV

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nice idea but I think that manufacturers, even phone manufacturers would benefit even more if they made their "accessories" compatible with ALL manufacturers' phones. Why limit your potential buyer base to only those who have the phone from you that it's exclusive to? What if I want that device but would NEVER own a Samsung phone - especially after owning one in the past and having been disappointed it its performance or GUI? Just because I may prefer one phone over another doesn't mean I might not LOVE this appliance/accessory. By being exclusive to Samsung means I'll shop elsewhere. I'm SURELY not going to replace my phone AND buy that just to have it. YRMV
I get the feeling this will expand if it does decently.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gotta wonder how much of the compatibility (apps, etc) is baked into the phone's software, downloaded when you first snap the phone into the thing, or stored directly on the device.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If it works for Samsung only (and lets be honest, devs will fix that in no time) its no good. Making it for mobile devices is stupid too. I get the price is low because its only for mobile devices but having added functionality to work with a computer, TV, etc would make it much more appealing to me.

soulpatch

Reaction score
If it works for Samsung only (and lets be honest, devs will fix that in no time) its no good. Making it for mobile devices is stupid too. I get the price is low because its only for mobile devices but having added functionality to work with a computer, TV, etc would make it much more appealing to me.

The device uses the phone as the screen for the goggles. Not sure how we would fit a TV in there. LOL

Those glasses are coming from Oculus later and will cost significantly more witht he built in screens and such.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The device uses the phone as the screen for the goggles. Not sure how we would fit a TV in there. LOL

Those glasses are coming from Oculus later and will cost significantly more witht he built in screens and such.
Yup. They save a nice bit of money by not having to work in the display and etc.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Ahhhh. Now I get it. Totally missed that aspect. I thought they were stand-alone glasses with their own display and somehow used the phone as an interface.

Still, it could have been made more "generic" in the mounting system for the phone, so it could work with other models. Perhaps a "snap-in" mounthing system with "fit-kits" for various manufacturers' phones. Thule and Yakima roof racks are examples of a product that is designed to work with a myriad of configurations. They manufacture one main system and then offer literally multiple dozens of various "fit-kits" for the multitude of vehicles they can be "fitted" to.

Just sayin'....

soulpatch

Reaction score
I dont doubt that that will come eventually but the SW and design has been made for the Note 4 for the initial run.

For the virtual reality you need to have the lenses set to the screen and for the phone to project the correct items. I am not sure a "fit kit" would work initially for other sizes of phones. The lenses could probably work with other notes and phalblets that are similar size. For smaller phones you would need to either adjust or switch the lenses and recalibrate I woudl assume. That would lead to all kinds of disasters initially. With something like virtual reality the experience can drop off quickly if the lenses are a shade out of position as it ruins the immersion

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Ahhhh. Now I get it. Totally missed that aspect. I thought they were stand-alone glasses with their own display and somehow used the phone as an interface.

Still, it could have been made more "generic" in the mounting system for the phone, so it could work with other models. Perhaps a "snap-in" mounthing system with "fit-kits" for various manufacturers' phones. Thule and Yakima roof racks are examples of a product that is designed to work with a myriad of configurations. They manufacture one main system and then offer literally multiple dozens of various "fit-kits" for the multitude of vehicles they can be "fitted" to.

Just sayin'....

Me too. Well that makes it to me even less useful. Oh well, one more product that will find dust on the shelf. I'll buy one when its on clearance for 75% off.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was watching some videos of reactions to google cardboard & decided to spend the $10 to get one. Most people seem quite impressed & I'm hoping it'll give me a better idea of the draw of such a thing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I dont doubt that that will come eventually but the SW and design has been made for the Note 4 for the initial run.

For the virtual reality you need to have the lenses set to the screen and for the phone to project the correct items. I am not sure a "fit kit" would work initially for other sizes of phones. The lenses could probably work with other notes and phalblets that are similar size. For smaller phones you would need to either adjust or switch the lenses and recalibrate I woudl assume. That would lead to all kinds of disasters initially. With something like virtual reality the experience can drop off quickly if the lenses are a shade out of position as it ruins the immersion
All good points. Still I believe they could engineer a set of optics that were adjustable to address that issue.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I will have the Note 4, but I won't be buying the VR. It will be cool for ten minutes and then get stuck in the closet. Right next to that smart watch if I ever bought one.