Samsung Gear VR Headset Now Available for $200 Online (requires Galaxy Note 4)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gear-vr-for-sale.jpeg

That headline is correct. Samsung's cutting edge new virtual reality headset, the Gear VR, is now available for purchase at Samsung's website. Samsung is calling this first consumer product the "Innovator Edition," and it is meant to showcase their new technology for Samsung devices users who fit into a specific category. Basically, it only works with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which is required to operate the device, so owners of that device fit into the proper category.

The Gear VR is surprisingly affordable at $199.99. Of course, its biggest limitation is its requirement of a Galaxy Note 4. The Oculus Rift powered headset is one of the first steps to realizing the dream of VR that was touted back in the 80's, yet never realized. Of course, even though it's quite a bit further down the road than it was before, there's still a way to go before VR truly develops into a must-have technology and becomes "mainstream."

For those who have a Galaxy Note 4 and want to have a cutting edge stocking stuffer this season, here's the link: Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
How many apps are launching with this?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
BTW... here's one of the first games that will be available for the Gear VR and it will be free for a limited time. It's called Darknet, and it is basically a "hacker" simulation, much like what was seen in movies like Jonny Mnemonic, Lawnmower Man and The Matrix.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The apps are coming through the Occulus VR store, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Still don't see the appeal.

I'm sure it's cool, but as I stated when the rumor of the price came out, I don't find this to be a good price for me.

Sure, it's VR for $200. I guess that sounds like a reasonable deal...If it didn't required another device that costs $6-700 or so off contract.

I already own the phone, but I can't see dropping $200 to be a guinea pig on this one. And knowing now that there's at least one game dev ready to ask for $10 for a game? Not a horrible price for a decent game, and the one posted above looks like a pretty concept, but I'm not seeing anything in the video that screams to me that that's worth 10 bucks.

Just my two cents. I'd really like to play around with VR. Maybe that'd change my mind on the concept, but I'm just not seeing it at this time. If I had $200 extra to burn right now, I could find plenty of other things to burn it on that I believe I'd get much more use and enjoyment out of.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I see how this could be appealing. It's just not my sort of thing. Maybe version 2.o or 3.o, but not 1.o.

The cost of the phone is necessary. You aren't going to be able to have a lag free, resolution satisfying experience with the average phone. This device takes some horsepower to run and with the exception of a handful of phones it isn't happening.

Occulus considered making an iPhone compatible one, but gave up on it due to the appstore hurdles they would have endured working with Apple. They made the right choice in partnering with Samsung and the phablet series. Other Android OEMs could jump on board too.

It would be pretty easy too seeing as how Occulus would simply have to design the phone mold to fit other devices and then rebrand the headset.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I see how this could be appealing. It's just not my sort of thing. Maybe version 2.o or 3.o, but not 1.o.

The cost of the phone is necessary. You aren't going to be able to have a lag free, resolution satisfying experience with the average phone. This device takes some horsepower to run and with the exception of a handful of phones it isn't happening.

Occulus considered making an iPhone compatible one, but gave up on it due to the appstore hurdles they would have endured working with Apple. They made the right choice in partnering with Samsung and the phablet series. Other Android OEMs could jump on board too.

It would be pretty easy too seeing as how Occulus would simply have to design the phone mold to fit other devices and then rebrand the headset.
I agree completely. It might be something I'd be interested in after a few versions and the kinks are worked out, the price comes down a little, and it can be used with other devices.

Sure, I JUST bought my Note 4, but if I'm going to spend $200 on an accessory, it better work with at LEAST the next phone I get.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It will. It should be as simple as swapping out the phone mold. Considering of course that next phone is a Sammy phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It will. It should be as simple as swapping out the phone mold. Considering of course that next phone is a Sammy phone.

I would think it'd wouldn't take much engineering to develop a re-sizable holder like some car mounts that could securely hold phones of different sizes without even having to replace an entire "mold".

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think the mold would have to be pretty for fitting so that there isn't a gap around the edge of the phone and the mold.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the mold would have to be pretty for fitting so that there isn't a gap around the edge of the phone and the mold.
True. I admit I don't fully grasp the concept beyond knowing that it splits the screen for each eye & users the sensors.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
^was supposed to read "pretty tight fitting".

I could see this being very cool. I just think that it is too early for me to get into it, if I ever do, as I am a harsh critic when it comes to my tech devices. Any lag would blow it for me. If it wasn't really comfortable to wear then it would collect dust.

That, and I would have to constantly borrow the Mrs' N4 and that definitely isn't happening. She bailed on her S5 so fast that it wasn't even funny.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
^was supposed to read "pretty tight fitting".

I could see this being very cool. I just think that it is too early for me to get into it, if I ever do, as I am a harsh critic when it comes to my tech devices. Any lag would blow it for me. If it wasn't really comfortable to wear then it would collect dust.

That, and I would have to constantly borrow the Mrs' N4 and that definitely isn't happening. She bailed on her S5 so fast that it wasn't even funny.
I assumed you were going for form fitting, so I got the jist.

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just saw a story on Android Central that the gear vr isn't working on sprint & Verizon models. Apparently the phone needs an update that's based on carrier availability.

Whoops...

Sent from my Note 4