Samsung's Gear VR Now Available for Sale at Best Buy (Online Only)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's more than just a piece of plastic with a headband strap slapped on it. It's licensing fees, R&D pricing. $200 is 30 Big Mac meals.
I was thinking that's a dozen rib eyes I'd have to forgo grilling. That's a years worth of rib eye grilling for me. No way.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If true, here's another example of why it's a good idea for Samsung to be testing out a first generation product like this with only one device: Why the Galaxy Note 4 Still Doesn't Have Android 5.0 Lollipop. It seems reasonable that it is true considering that Samsung usually updates their current generation flagships first, but the Note 3 recently began receiving the Lollipop update internationally before the Note 4.

After you translate the article, it says that Samsung is delaying 5.0 for the Note 4 because Oculus is having issues with the Gear VR software on 5.0. If Samsung was supporting multiple devices for the Gear VR, this would be a problem that would cause much of their recent lineup to see delays in getting 5.0 or if they went ahead and updated without fixing things, they'd have to deal with bad press and ticked off Gear VR customers (with the bad press being the bigger issue of the two given the limited number of Gear VR customers).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If true, here's another example of why it's a good idea for Samsung to be testing out a first generation product like this with only one device: Why the Galaxy Note 4 Still Doesn't Have Android 5.0 Lollipop. It seems reasonable that it is true considering that Samsung usually updates their current generation flagships first, but the Note 3 recently began receiving the Lollipop update internationally before the Note 4.

After you translate the article, it says that Samsung is delaying 5.0 for the Note 4 because Oculus is having issues with the Gear VR software on 5.0. If Samsung was supporting multiple devices for the Gear VR, this would be a problem that would cause much of their recent lineup to see delays in getting 5.0 or if they went ahead and updated without fixing things, they'd have to deal with bad press and ticked off Gear VR customers (with the bad press being the bigger issue of the two given the limited number of Gear VR customers).
Given that an update was required before the first few could even use the VR, the strategy makes sense, but it'd be nice if the rest of us could update and the fix could come in a separate download. I realize the odds of them warning owners of the VR to not take the update until the patch is available, but the thing seems to be causing delays left and right.

As you said, good thing for them that they decided to stick with one device while they iron things out. Bad thing for me that I bought that one device. Haha

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Given that an update was required before the first few could even use the VR, the strategy makes sense, but it'd be nice if the rest of us could update and the fix could come in a separate download. I realize the odds of them warning owners of the VR to not take the update until the patch is available, but the thing seems to be causing delays left and right.

As you said, good thing for them that they decided to stick with one device while they iron things out. Bad thing for me that I bought that one device. Haha

You and me both. Ha ha.

Actually, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Lollipop has some great features, and as an Android enthusiast I'd love to have it on my phone, but I'm extremely happy with the way the Note 4 performs as it currently is.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You and me both. Ha ha.

Actually, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Lollipop has some great features, and as an Android enthusiast, I'd love to have it on my phone, but I'm extremely happy with the way the Note 4 performs as it currently is.
Oh yeah, I'm pleased with it the way it is, but I LOVE updates. It's kind of my little obsession. Even though I have my Play Store set to auto-update over wifi, I tend to "manually" install updates more often than anything. "Hmmm. Haven't checked my apps for updates in the last few hours...OOOO! Updates!!! GIMME!!!" Haha

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just want profiles on my phone. It would be a shame to have to fire up the good ole Note 3 to be able to use them before I could on my Edge.