Samsung Sets Massive Goal of Selling 60 Million Smartphones in 2011

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-shin-jong-kyun.jpg

According to an article from the Korea Times website, Samsung is setting their own smartphone sales bar pretty darn high for this year. Shin Jong-kyun, the head of Samsung’s mobile business division, said he expects to sell 60 Million smartphones in 2011. They are basing their numbers on the incredible sales success of their Galaxy S series of Samsung smartphones, which sold more than 10 Million just since June of last year. The article also had this to say,
Shin said Samsung will unveil a new version of the Galaxy S at February’s World Mobile Congress (WMC) in Barcelona. The handset will be powered by a dual-core processor and feature a ``super’’ active matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED)-plus display with enhanced density, and run on Gingerbread, the most advanced Andorid version designed for smartphones. He also said that the company will expand its Galaxy Tab lineup this year and promised to provide more detailed business plans at the WMC. The movement toward LTE networks will also expand business opportunities in handsets, telecommunications equipment and systems, Shin said.
Samsung is currently the second largest cell phone maker in the world, behind Nokia. According to statements made at CES, Samsung further intends to take that 'number one' crown away from Nokia. Obviously if they can hit their 'projections' that will probably become a reality.

Perhaps this might be an overly lofty goal. Yes, Samsung did an incredible job penetrating the market with the Galaxy S line of smartphones last year, and 'in a vacuum' (if there were no other factors that could hinder them), they might be able to pull it off; however, this year promises a slew of new competition from Motorola, HTC, LG and others for smartphone dominance. Even the new Verizon iPhone will slow down what Samsung is proposing. Shin did point out, "It will be important for us to establish stronger positions in regions such as Southeast Asia, China, and Central and South America instead of just relying on advanced markets," but even with this factor, in their best-case scenario it seems like 'pie in the sky' thinking. What do you guys think?

Source: Korea Times via BGR

jdellingson7

Reaction score
This really pisses me off!!! how bout some support for the phones you do have sammy!!! Galaxy S phones still on 2.1 what a shame

mdenny84

Reaction score
I can't wait to ditch my galaxy s! Never again samsung. samsung cheated their galaxy customers with lies of rich media hub experiences and android 2.2. Where are the features you advertised samsung? Samsung will just mass produce tons of phones with no support. Samsung will be the next rim I'd this keeps up.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to ditch my galaxy s! Never again samsung. samsung cheated their galaxy customers with lies of rich media hub experiences and android 2.2. Where are the features you advertised samsung? Samsung will just mass produce tons of phones with no support. Samsung will be the next rim I'd this keeps up.

Would be great if consumers do exactly what you are saying to Samsung....Send a message if you want to charge $600 retail or lock us into 2yr contracts you better support the phone for at least 2 years. I mean, we are talking PC prices now for phones. At least make a token effort at CS like Dell, someone we can at least scream at and vent frustration.

Steeeler

Reaction score
This really pisses me off!!! how bout some support for the phones you do have sammy!!! Galaxy S phones still on 2.1 what a shame

Yup. +1 Before they dominate the world, they better support what they have first.

hoppermi

Reaction score
I'm interested to see the new dual-core Orion processor up against the Tegra2.
Might be worthwhile if it comes w/ the latest OS from the start.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I'm sticking with American companies. Motorola's new Bionic and Xoom. I couldn't believe they didn't make a 10" galaxy tab to at least try to compete with the iPad. They were the first well known company to get a tab running android, and I haven't seen any numbers, but i'm sure they've got that market.... for now.

Zackbushy

Reaction score

I agree!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So...they sold 20M annualized last year and expect to triple sales this year with increasing competition? I'll have some of what he's smokin'.

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
So...they sold 20M annualized last year and expect to triple sales this year with increasing competition? I'll have some of what he's smokin'.

Jungle weed.......

I also cannot see them selling 60 mill phones even in other markets. Unless they deiced to sale a low to mid end phone, without much or any support.

IanG

Reaction score
Only way I would purchase a Samsung phone is if I see them doing updates like crazy on their current phones.

It seems like they put out a phone and just forget about updating it to the latest version of Android.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Android 2.1 on 100 million phones by end of 2011. Mark my words =op

J. Dub

Reaction score
Fawk you Sammy. I'll never buy another product of yours. Your support lacks, even in the tv segment of the market.
GTFO of the USA with your fail-support.
My galaxy S phone I have to use for work is the worst decision I ever made in picking a phone.

azules9780

Reaction score
It is a completely real and attainable goal, although lofty. Let me point out a few facts to you

1. The vast majority of the world are sheep and have no idea what they are missing and probably couldn't tell the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 if it were right in front of them. The iPhones success is a good example of how many sheep there are in the world.

2. He knows what kind of awesome devices they have coming down the pipeline that will drop this year and he can probably gauge what kind of reception these devices will meet in the market. He pays people a lot of money to find out what each market needs and wants in a phone and he pays other people a lot of money to give him success projections based on this.

3. They are going to make a massive push into the largest and fastest growing market in the world, SE Asia, more specifically, China. Yes, they are going to sell boatloads of phones. That is a market that is virtually untapped and everyone in every form of business is trying to get into that market. Because of their huge population, lack of saturation and a want for everything brand new, are larger market than anyone other country in the world.

You guys are looking at things from a narrow point of view, you need to think globally to understand because he is.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
3. They are going to make a massive push into the largest and fastest growing market in the world, SE Asia, more specifically, China. Yes, they are going to sell boatloads of phones. That is a market that is virtually untapped and everyone in every form of business is trying to get into that market. Because of their huge population, lack of saturation and a want for everything brand new, are larger market than anyone other country in the world.

You guys are looking at things from a narrow point of view, you need to think globally to understand because he is.

Sure, but the only problem is, while China may have 1B people, they make on average about 2% what people in developed countries make. How many have the disposable income for a $300 smartphone and data plan? Maybe it could be 100M, point being it's well less than 1B and, for now, a smaller smartphone market than the US.

I think estimates were IPhone sold 4M units in China last year, so that gives you an idea where that martket is at.