Samsung Sets Massive Goal of Selling 60 Million Smartphones in 2011

azules9780

Reaction score
They are quickly approaching the largest market for automakers, specifically GM in the world. Meaning they are selling more cars there than anywhere else in the world, including here. Almost. It says on this website that by 2010 they will would be the 2nd largest market in the world. They were already number 3. Cars produced in the world - Worldometers

The iPhone is an upmarket device, samsung makes all kinds of devices, not just top of the line. I also said SE Asia, not just China. That includes S. Korea and Japan. The point is watch, they will do big things this year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The iPhone is an upmarket device, samsung makes all kinds of devices, not just top of the line. I also said SE Asia, not just China. That includes S. Korea and Japan. The point is watch, they will do big things this year.

I just think it's ridiculously optimistic - IPhone sold @ 50M worlwide last year, I think, and are hitting low tiers of the market by selling the 3g still. But Samsungs thinks they are going from 10M in 6M to 60M in 12? I'd be shocked if they hit 40M.

Good info on the cars. Didn't realize they had grown THAT quickly.

azules9780

Reaction score
Again, you are not looking at the big picture. Your point of reference is coming from the US perspective. Nokia like the article said is the biggest cell phone producer in the world. SAmsung is #2. They want to be #1 by the end of the year. Let me ask you, how many people do you know who have a Nokia product here? I'm going to assume that you don't know anyone with a Nokia phone or very few at most. And yet Nokia is the largest producer in the world. How is this if they have very little business here? It's because there are over 6 BILLION people on earth and we don't even make up 1/10 of that population. All you see are the articles that say 50 million iphones sold last year. That's great for the American market but is tiddlewinks when you look at it from a world perspective. All I'm saying is look at it from a global perspective and you'll see where they have a real good chance of hitting that number next year. I'm not a huge fan of Samsung but I am not going to deny that they are a real world power in the phone world and Apple is not the end all and be all comparison.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Again, you are not looking at the big picture. Your point of reference is coming from the US perspective. Nokia like the article said is the biggest cell phone producer in the world. SAmsung is #2. They want to be #1 by the end of the year. Let me ask you, how many people do you know who have a Nokia product here? I'm going to assume that you don't know anyone with a Nokia phone or very few at most. And yet Nokia is the largest producer in the world. How is this if they have very little business here? It's because there are over 6 BILLION people on earth and we don't even make up 1/10 of that population. All you see are the articles that say 50 million iphones sold last year. That's great for the American market but is tiddlewinks when you look at it from a world perspective. All I'm saying is look at it from a global perspective and you'll see where they have a real good chance of hitting that number next year. I'm not a huge fan of Samsung but I am not going to deny that they are a real world power in the phone world and Apple is not the end all and be all comparison.

No, Samsung didn't say 60M phones, they were talking SMARTPHONES, and even in the US adoption is a relatively small percentage of the market.

The IPhone sold 50M IPhones GLOBALLY last year, in the US it was only 14.5M. I understand the market just fine. I understand the global perspective just fine. The market is not big enough for Samsung to sell 60M smartphones unless it triples in size, and it's not going to do that.