Samsung Had Over 300 Million Handset Sales This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-300M-sales.jpg

Samsung shared yesterday that for the first time in their company's history, they have sold more than 300 Million handsets world-wide. Their handset sale for all of 2010 was 280 Million, but by the end of last month, this year, they already sold 300 Million. Their sales numbers were bolstered by the raging success of the Galaxy S line of phones. Between the vanilla Galaxy S and the Galaxy SII, they have done phenomenally well, and in fact, their Galaxy SII also set a new sales record for the company. It generated 10 million-unit sales alone. JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business, said, "We look forward to extending this success going into 2012."

Source: Reuters

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this to be posted, I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way they sold over 300 million phones in 1 year. That would mean 5% of the world, if my math is correct, all bought Samsung phones in the last year. Now certainly there are 300 million Samsung phones out there but I have an extremely hard time believing 5% of the world all bought Samsung phones last year alone. I wonder what population of the world even has a cell phone, let alone a Samsung.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this to be posted, I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way they sold over 300 million phones in 1 year. That would mean 5% of the world, if my math is correct, all bought Samsung phones in the last year. Now certainly there are 300 million Samsung phones out there but I have an extremely hard time believing 5% of the world all bought Samsung phones last year alone. I wonder what population of the world even has a cell phone, let alone a Samsung.

*percentage of the population*

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
Supposedly about 77% of the world's population owns a cell phone.
Source

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Supposedly about 77% of the world's population owns a cell phone.
Source

wow that is far more than I ever would expect. I hate to be a doubting Thomas, it's just hard to imagine these stats being true. I think it's mostly due to the numbers being so extremely large. I mean 300 million phones in one year and 5 billion people (roughly) owning Cell Phones.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
wow that is far more than I ever would expect. I hate to be a doubting Thomas, it's just hard to imagine these stats being true. I think it's mostly due to the numbers being so extremely large. I mean 300 million phones in one year and 5 billion people (roughly) owning Cell Phones.

I would tend to believe them. I have heard this for years, but one of the reasons why cell phones are so prevalent, especially in developing nations, is due to the "relatively small" amount of infrastructure required. For example, imagine trying to lay down the infrastructure for wiring up every housing structure, big and small, with power, telephone, and data vs placing "a few" (again, relatively) strategically placed towers. I know from some colleagues who have worked in Africa, you can have less towers over flat areas with clear lines-of-sight and people don't even need power at home, they can bring they're phones to charging stations and pay to charge them. Now entire communities can have phone access without all of the required infrastructure and its associated costs.

Maybe someone can find more sources to verify or counter the one I posted.

mrmark27

Reaction score
for handset sales, is this just their cell phones or does this include their tablets as well?

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I think it's mostly due to the numbers being so extremely large. I mean 300 million phones in one year and 5 billion people (roughly) owning Cell Phones.

According to this article, the world population just recently surpassed 7 billion people, with mobile connections to have hit 6 billion by the end of November. The article even states that “China alone currently has 940 million total mobile connections, exceeding the total number of connections in Europe and the US combined.” Granted, that's taking into account more than just handsets, but those numbers are staggering nonetheless.

I too have a hard time believing that Samsung has really sold that many phones in 2011, but these numbers make it perhaps a bit easier to digest.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to this article, the world population just recently surpassed 7 billion people, with mobile connections to have hit 6 billion by the end of November. The article even states that “China alone currently has 940 million total mobile connections, exceeding the total number of connections in Europe and the US combined.” Granted, that's taking into account more than just handsets, but those numbers are staggering nonetheless.

I too have a hard time believing that Samsung has really sold that many phones in 2011, but these numbers make it perhaps a bit easier to digest.
China is just big. too many people.