Samsung Plans to Release 'Iron Man' Edition of the Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge; Coming Next Month

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rumored-iron-man-galaxy-s6-edge.jpg

Do you guys remember when we posted that intriguing rumor that Samsung was considering making "Avengers" themed Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge variants? That rumor is one step closer to reality. According to a report from the Korean Times, Lee Young-hee, head of marketing for Samsung's mobile division, the company is definitely planning at least an "Iron Man" edition of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

Here's a quote with the details,

The new phones will reflect design aspects of Iron Man's armored suit. The character is an American superhero featured in the recently released "Avengers: Age of Ultron" filmed partly in Seoul.

"The color of the new Iron Man phones will be red. We will decide on other details soon after discussions with Marvel Studio. It will be released either at the end of May or early June," said Lee Young-hee, head of marketing for the company's mobile division.

She made the remarks after watching the movie at a theater in southern Seoul. Senior Samsung executives including Shin Jong-kyun, handset division chief, watched the movie with about 50 reporters.
Supposedly Marvel and Samsung already made a licensing partnership back in June of last year, so this could be the fruits of that team-up. So far, the main advantage for Samsung is that their products have been featured in Marvel films. This could be the reverse cross-marketing that many fans of Samsung products and Marvel comic book movies have been clamoring for.

What do you think? Would you go out of your way to pick up an "Iron Man" themed red and gold Galaxy S6 Edge?

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SPOILER ALERT

Not surprised as there was a S6 being used by Black Widow in the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Anyone else find it ironic that Robert Downey Jr. does commercials for HTC yet his movie persona is with Samsung.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Anyone else find it ironic that Robert Downey Jr. does commercials for HTC yet his movie persona is with Samsung.
Nope.

No different than Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick having a deal with beats and the NFL having a deal with Bose. You have to wear and use what your employer provides. And the rights to iron man and Tony Stark belongs to Marvel not RDJ. So no conflict of interest at all in my opinion. Now if RDJ was wearing an iron man suit or speaking as Tony Stark when doing the HTC commercial then it may been an issue.

Plus HTC was all in the movie Captain America Winter Soldier so they got their piece of the Marvel audience as well.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The real question is which carriers will carry it. Hopefully Verizon would especially since they are Big Red!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Totally awesome. When i first saw the mockup, I knew Sammy would see the potential and get this project into high gear.
I'll bet they sell a ton of them...

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
it does indeed look really cool, with the iron man color theme. I'm going to pass myself, because i'm more then happy with my nexus6 and unlimited data.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With Civil War being Marvel's next movie I am sure there will be a Captain America phone as well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
HUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLK SMAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!.. That said.. How about a deadpool version :) lol.. Actually I like the way the device looks.. I like the note edge.. But I've yet to lay hands on an s6E

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What surprised me is that R2D2 Droid device released a few years ago... It didn't really sell that well did it? We didn't hear much about it after they released it, or perhaps that's just my assumption gone awry. I would have liked to pick one up just as a collectors edition and kept it unopened and tucked away for the next 20 years.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What surprised me is that R2D2 Droid device released a few years ago... It didn't really sell that well did it? We didn't hear much about it after they released it, or perhaps that's just my assumption gone awry. I would have liked to pick one up just as a collectors edition and kept it unopened and tucked away for the next 20 years.

S5 tap'n
I actually won one and the bedside dock and everything from Moto in a Twitter contest a while back. Used it for a day or two. Liked the R2 sounds and etc, but I had already upgraded to the Droid X at that point and missed the larger screen. I tossed it up on ebay and, like an idiot, gave it a $400 Buy It Now price. Should've just let people bid against each other on it, but not a bad deal for the small amount of effort I had to put in.

As for the Iron Man phone, I enjoy the movies and characters, but I'm not a fan of that color scheme on a device that I'd own. Of course, with the right case, you still get any special edition sounds, wallpapers, and such without a red and gold phone...(but I'm not dropping my Note 4 any time soon)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think it's gorgeous and I'd be ticked off if I just bought an S6...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah...tempting to get this version of the S6 edge. Gorgeous isn't even the word.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My wife is going to kill me. Wait till she hears which phone I want now lol.