Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Getting a Price Reduction

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-both-transp-backg.jpg

It looks like Samsung has decided to do something about their slightly disappointing sales of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. They plan to reduce the price of the devices very soon. Here's a brief snippet of Samsung's new strategy to improve S6 series sales:

The Mobile Business plans to firmly maintain its sale of premium smartphones by flexibly adjusting the price of the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, and launching a new model with a larger screen. Supply issues concerning the Galaxy S6 edge have been addressed. Moreover, the IM Division plans to enhance efficiency across the board, including product line-ups, marketing and R&D.

What do you think was the reason the S6 and S6 Edge to sell as well as Sammy hoped? Price? Lack of certain features? All of the above?

Here's our dedicated section for the Samsung Galaxy S6 series of phones: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Samsung Electronics Announces Second Quarter Results Samsung Electronics Official Blog Samsung Tomorrow Samsung Electronics Official Blog

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get rid of some inventory before THE next big thing gets announced in a couple of weeks?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^^^There's that

Plus, I think these OEM's really need to look at the fact that people don't need to upgrade every year, or even every other year now...The strategy of re-releasing basically the same phone with a marginal bump in specs isn't going to crush any sales records.

We've talked about it before - OEM's should really go to a 2-3 year product cycle. Release the "S6" every other year, and in between a phone that's truly different. At least offer some variety in display sizes apart from HUGE and HUGER.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
$200 lower is about the price that should've started at. It's better to make $10 profit on 5 sales than $5 profit on 1 sale.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like that they are coming around on lowering the price. They invest a lot of money into their product R&D and are usually at the forefront of new tech. I understand the need to keep that research funding rolling, but I have decided that I will switch to a two year refresh cycle.

I love having the latest and greatest. It's come to a point now where I am completely satisfied with my phones and don't need to upgrade yearly to get that new, great feature.

The only thing that gives me the upgrade itch is the new fingerprint sensor. It is now on par with TouchID which was way ahead of the swipe scanners Samsung was using. I think I can hold out another year with using my pin codes and passwords though so I will be using the Note Edge until the next release cycle.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't have any use for a fingerprint scanner, except perhaps for mobile payments/NFC down the road.

I hate entering/swiping a password, and use Locale to disable it at home, work and other places I frequent. Doubt a fingerprint scanner can be faster or more convenient than bypassing the lockscreen altogether.

I just don't do anything financially sensitive on my phone. I really have no need.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't have any use for a fingerprint scanner, except perhaps for mobile payments/NFC down the road.

I hate entering/swiping a password, and use Locale to disable it at home, work and other places I frequent. Doubt a fingerprint scanner can be faster or more convenient than bypassing the lockscreen altogether.

I just don't do anything financially sensitive on my phone. I really have no need.

It is one of those techs that amazed me and it takes a lot to do that. I have to have a locked phone. The finger print unlock beats any pin code/password option by far.

It is used for a lot of different features now on iOS. Hopefully some of them will come to Android.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The finger print unlock beats any pin code/password option by far.

I agree, and if it is as seamless and quick as just swiping to unlock your phone, then I might be interested. But like I said, I like to just click the power button and have my homescreen pop right up (and preferably even bypass that just by picking up or looking at my phone).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, and if it is as seamless and quick as just swiping to unlock your phone, then I might be interested. But like I said, I like to just click the power button and have my homescreen pop right up (and preferably even bypass that just by picking up or looking at my phone).
Me too until they implement a retina scanner. Tap the wake button and look at your phone to unlock it. If someone steals my phone I can just remote wipe it for now until they put in a remote self destruct option like Tom Brady evidently has.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I haven't tried it on the S6 yet, but on my i6 Plus it is the same as swiping. The only difference is instead of swiping you press the home button and it unlocks immediately. I have multiple finger prints saved so that it doesn't necessarily have to be my thumb that is unlocking it. Say, if it is sitting on the table in front of me.

hoffa660

Reaction score
Who would of thought making the battery non-removable, and taking away the SD card slot and leaving you stuck with same memory till next upgrade or buy another phone would not help sales. And taking away waterproofing from the s5. Just like using apples cousin phone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk