Samsung NFC Tag Alternative

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I am looking for some NFC tags for use with my GS3. I would prefer not to buy the Samsung ones because they are overly expensive, but i want the tags to work. Has anyone tried any different brand tags.
Also what size tag do i need? My first plan is to use them to send texts when i get in the car saying i am on my way home. So i don't think i need a 1K tag for that, or do I?

frank_drebin1

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this.

Anyone have any experiences/recommendations?

wcjeep

Reaction score
Tagstand sells NFC tags and has their own app. The Tagstand app is alot better than the Samsung TecTile app. They have a second app also in the Play Store that allows Text Messages to be sent without further authorization. I think I bought Type 1 tags. I agree you probably don't require large data tags at this time.

NFC tags, labels, and stickers. - tagstand

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Thanks, i have been checking those out. Did you buy one of the starter kits, or the individual type 1 tags. Cant figure out exactly what is in the starter kits.
I have found those and the Mifare ultralight that are on amazon. The Mifare seem a little cheaper, but i cant find much info on them outside of amazon. Has anyone had any experience with these?

wcjeep

Reaction score
I bought six of the type 1. I bought the Tagstand because of the recommendation from this website. Having a great app by them also helped.

alicechong7789

Reaction score
This is something I posted on another forum thread.
Here is a comparison chart of the NFC tags. Which NFC Chip Should I Use? | BUYNFCTAGS.COM

You can use 1K, ULC, and NTAG stickers to automate tasks and encode URLS. For contact information, it is best to use the 1K tags because they have more memory.
However, since the 1K tags have more memory, they are also a bit slower for your phone to read. So you have to touch your phone to the tag a bit longer.

Using NFC Task Launcher, I can add 3-4 tasks (bluetooth toggle, wifi toggle, launch App, vibrate on) and the space required is about 70-80 bytes (depends on the tasks). The NTAG and ULC tags should do the work. The NTAGs are pretty fast tags and have a pretty decent reading range.

Hope this helps!

frank_drebin1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Going to order a few and start playing around with nfc tags.

Cnet had a neat article the other day that gave me some ideas (for those interested).