NFC tag: 1K vs 144 byte capacity

Skyrocketing

Reaction score
Since my Galaxy S3 will arrive in a day or so, I want to pick up a few NFC tags to mess around with. I'm deciding between the classic Mifare 1K byte capacity NFC sticker and the Type 2 144 bytes sticker. Obvious the 1K byte sticker can hold more data but they can not be made read-only, at least for the type I'm looking to buy. Does anyone know the difference in capability of the two stickers in terms of what I can do with them? (automating tasks, URLs, contact info, etc)

alicechong7789

Reaction score
Since my Galaxy S3 will arrive in a day or so, I want to pick up a few NFC tags to mess around with. I'm deciding between the classic Mifare 1K byte capacity NFC sticker and the Type 2 144 bytes sticker. Obvious the 1K byte sticker can hold more data but they can not be made read-only, at least for the type I'm looking to buy. Does anyone know the difference in capability of the two stickers in terms of what I can do with them? (automating tasks, URLs, contact info, etc)

Here is a comparison chart of the NFC tags. Which NFC Chip Should I Use? | BUYNFCTAGS.COM

You can use 1K, ULC, and NTAG stickers to automate tasks and encode URLS. For contact information, it is best to use the 1K tags because they have more memory.
However, since the 1K tags have more memory, they are also a bit slower for your phone to read. So you have to touch your phone to the tag a bit longer.

Using NFC Task Launcher, I can add 3-4 tasks (bluetooth toggle, wifi toggle, launch App, vibrate on) and the space required is about 70-80 bytes (depends on the tasks). The NTAG and ULC tags should do the work. The NTAGs are pretty fast tags and have a pretty decent reading range.

Hope this helps!