Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Officially Unveiled; Full Specs & Design Revealed

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really hope those prices aren't going to be right. $781 for the 32gb S6? That's almost $200 more than the current phone!
Just watch, next year Sammy is going to take over the world /eyeroll

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The original s5 was not waterproof.

I'm really disappointed that Samsung went with no microSD card.
Non-removeable battery I could deal with since I was using Motorola for a couple years, but it's so much easier to replace a bad battery if it happens when you can take off the back.
I'm surprised they didn't increase the mp on the main camera and that it is 3gb ram. Hopefully that means the Note 5 will be 4gb.
Disappointed in the battery size. Hopefully the octacore processor makes that big of a difference.
Overall, not impressed with most aspects, but intrigued by the Edge version.

It is 3GB RAM, but that is their new DDR4 RAM. The phone will perform flawlessly paired with their Exynos 7.

They never confirmed nor denied whether or not the U.S. version would ship with the 810 or the Exynos 7. It's kind of strange that they sidestepped talking about that feature. So that leads me to wonder about cell radio signals. My Note Edge has the Qualcomm inside and its signal outperforms all other phones in the house.

Not to mention it gets scratched up like a mofo!

The camera lens is covered in sapphire and the metal they used is 50% stronger than current phones on the market (read:iPhones). The glass is also Gorilla Glass 4.

I'm surprised at how much these phones appeal to me. Where I am not thrilled about a non-removable battery I am preparing myself for it when the Note 5 arrives. 128GB of storage may get me by, but I already know that I will miss removable storage as well.

This is a great upgrade from the S5.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
128GB of storage may get me by, but I already know that I will miss removable storage as well..

And Sandisk just unveiled a new 200gig micro sd. But it will be at least mid-2016 before it's affordable.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
And Sandisk just unveiled a new 200gig micro sd. But it will be at least mid-2016 before it's affordable.

I saw that. They also just announced a cheaper 128GB version as well. The first company that designs one to connect via usb (or lightening port for iPhones) that molds to the bottom of the phone and has a charging through put built in will have my money.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am very impressed with the design BUT...
1. Locked Bootloader
2. Locked Bootloader
3. Locked Bootloader

Now, If I see a developer edition in that blue color then we may have a winner!

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Having a 3,900mAh Battery in the Droid Turbo makes everything else seem too small. Plus hasn't everyone learn from Apples iPhone mistakes with Glass Backs.

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung realized that they needed to go in a different direction "design wise" , their mobile division was starting to take a major hit, and changes need to be made, drastic ones at that, that is what happens at any big corp. when things are not falling the right way, and people will lose jobs over it "as it was the case at Samsung Mobile", the big boys needed to see change, and change they got in a fresh new look at Samsung mobile and it's new design language, it started with the Note 4, and it continues with the S6, and this is just the beginning of better things to come from Samsung, and getting rid of the heat missile called Snapdragon was the first step in the right direction.
This phone will sell like hot cakes, and the marketing campaign for the S6 will be nothing like anyone here has ever seen.
I disagree about the Snapdragon, but I think you are absolutely right regarding the marketing campaign. I think we will see Samsung really push hard again this year with the S6. Sammy is infamous for spending the most in marketing, and they will likely up their game to make up for the disappointing sales of the S5.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. Locked Bootloader
2. Locked Bootloader
3. Locked Bootloader

I used to root my devices, stopped doing that a while back, since I need a solid device with no issues for my day to day work, rooting is fun and time consuming, and all roms have issues "no way to slice it or dice it". If I am going to spend top dollar on a portable "pocketable computer" I need it to work without any issues. If I want to play around with roms I would just get a nice used device and play around south it. The reason Samsung and most other phone manufacturers are locking down their devices is security reasons, since many porthole use them for work and play with critical and personal information stored in their respective devices. No company is going to cars about the less than one percent of the Roming community. Samsung offers developer editions, I had signed up for the Note 4 developer edition but it took samsung 3 plus months to send me an email that the phone is available, by then I had already bought the Note 4, and I saved $250. Devices are so fast nowadays even with some of the bloat, rooting and Roming is slowly becoming a thing of the past, not saying it will dissappear.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The memory reader module in the S6 is blazing fast, just like an SSD, no external memory comes even close to the read and write speeds, reason why the S6 is buttery smooth and blazing fast from all the reports, and these are only pre production samples. Couple that with DDR4 RAM and the new Exynos SOC with the new .14nm, and you have one sweet machine.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to root my devices, stopped doing that a while back, since I need a solid device with no issues for my day to day work, rooting is fun and time consuming, and all roms have issues "no way to slice it or dice it". If I am going to spend top dollar on a portable "pocketable computer" I need it to work without any issues. If I want to play around with roms I would just get a nice used device and play around south it. The reason Samsung and most other phone manufacturers are locking down their devices is security reasons, since many porthole use them for work and play with critical and personal information stored in their respective devices. No company is going to cars about the less than one percent of the Roming community. Samsung offers developer editions, I had signed up for the Note 4 developer edition but it took samsung 3 plus months to send me an email that the phone is available, by then I had already bought the Note 4, and I saved $250. Devices are so fast nowadays even with some of the bloat, rooting and Roming is slowly becoming a thing of the past, not saying it will dissappear.

I appreciate this however,

How do you easily backup your data if your phone breaks or get's stolen? Considering this is a pocket computer with "critical and personal information stored" on the device.

How do you make your computer work the way YOU want it to? I consider the manufacturer's "suggested use" for the phone, but I still want to tweak it to my specifications. I almost went bat$ht crazy when I couldn't root my Moto X. When I finally broke through it's walls of protection, I felt like I had achieved a moment of Zen.

A pockable computer should have the same security as a portable one, like a laptop. Allow me admin access if I want, and allow me the option to change items in the environment that don't make sense to me. Allow me to backup my registry data, incase I ever need to do a factory restore.

If they want Bootloaders locked, then allow me to lock and unlock it myself. This is the $800 phone/pocket computer I bought right?

When you buy a home, and pay a mortgage, does the bank hold on to the keys until it's fully paid for?
Or do they allow you full access to your home, with the freedom to do what you want (barring not paying your mortgage of course).

This is America and I want the freedom being an American affords.

Give me a liberated bootloader or I will give you the death of a sale.

Last edited:

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I really hope those prices aren't going to be right. $781 for the 32gb S6? That's almost $200 more than the current phone!
Just watch, next year Sammy is going to take over the world /eyeroll

If they sell their phones for that price, They will fall behind LG and HTC. I am predicting these phones to hit Samsung harder than the S5.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
On the S6, I could go with something less than the 5.5" screen I'm accustomed to, I could maybe give up the removable battery but the lack of microSD added to the mix, not for me. And I like the Samsung phones in general.

I couldn't agree more with you on this.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am hoping that the Galaxy Note 5 will not go the same route as The S6. No removable back and No MicroSd is a huge mistake to me. My GNOTE4 will be my last Samsung phone. I will just hold on to it until I find a replacement.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still don't get the appeal. Why would I prefer a sloped edge to a normal flat screen? Where's the utility in forcing me to adapt to a new perspective?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Locked Bootloader
2. Locked Bootloader
3. Locked Bootloader

Quite frankly the people who care about locked bootloaders are few. Like you that would be the reason I would not buy. But the reality is there just is not enough for manufacturers to waste time caring about that. Especially when developer and Google play versions failed to sell. We had our chance to prove to manufacturers that we cared about that stuff a few years ago and the market responded by proving the oems right that not enough people care. In fact even among those that care about unlocked bootloaders we failed to show with our wallets that they matter. When it is all said and done the old saying stands that money talks....... walks.
So other than nexus devices do not expect manufacturers to waste their energy worrying about bootloaders as they know that factor has a negligible effect on sells.