Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Officially Unveiled; Full Specs & Design Revealed

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think the no sdcard is a mistake... Samsung fans have always loved the swap battery thing as well... I'd like to see it in person but for me I will not consider a lock down phone again..

Tap'd by Big 6

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Surprised they went with no SD card support. Other than that disappointment, I like the s6. It looks great, the screen seems to be awesome, and overall it's an improvement. Even though it's similar to their older designs, it's more elegant. Definitely gives off the impression that it's a top tier phone.

I think the omission of removable battery and SD card will be forgotten quite soon once it's released. Yeah it's the two main differentiating factors Samsung had going for it, but I saw those two features being left out at some point. Instead we get higher quality screen, wireless Qi charging, and premium materials, I'd say it was a good tradeoff.

What I'm really interested in is the signal quality of that phone. My s4 is just about hopeless in some places and a friend of mine with the s5 has had more luck, but still compared to our friends with Moto devices, Samsung is far behind. (Yes I know the numbers of dBm and asu all differ from phone to phone, but the fact of the matter is, our Samsung devices have no signal compared to competing phones, in some cases).

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am very disappointed with no removable battery as well....I can't remember the last time I plugged my Note 4 in....I just grab a newly charged battery and pop it in! ......I fear the Note 5 is going to be the same let down

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am very disappointed with no removable battery as well....I can't remember the last time I plugged my Note 4 in....I just grab a newly charged battery and pop it in! ......I fear the Note 5 is going to be the same let down
While I do have 3 total batteries for my s4, I only find myself mainly using 2. Most of the time I just keep recharging the one I'm on. I have a brand new sealed one still.

I thought I'd keep swapping batteries, but I just find myself charging whenever I can. Only a handful of times I found myself actually needing to swap batteries. That's just me though, so it would be a feature I wouldn't miss much. I would initially miss the SD card support.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would have liked to see them stick with the removable battery as well. That is a let down. And I can't stand that either BK, the camera sticking out like that just takes away from the aesthetics so much IMO.

wardo

Reaction score
I would have liked to see them stick with the removable battery as well. That is a let down. And I can't stand that either BK, the camera sticking out like that just takes away from the aesthetics so much IMO.
Not to mention it gets scratched up like a mofo!

mach330

Reaction score
I think the removeable battery I can deal with since it has wireless charging. But no sd card sux. As long as they make 32g the new standard for 199 then I'm ok. I'll probably get the 64 gig tho. Aesthetic is good. But Dayam touch wiz. Sure they toned it down but it still looks horrible. All the material design is pretty much non existence with touch wiz.

Tap'd via Note 4...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Removeable batteries are a non-starter IF they include a large enough battery to easily last a day (after reduced lifespan say, 24 months, into service). Batteries are charging so fast now and with universal micro usb charging it's really not a big deal to have a cord at the office, a few around the house and in the car to solve the battery issue.

SD cards are somewhat a non-starter, as well, IF they giving you options for at least 128gigs internal storage. Although I side with those who say you can never have enough storage (4k video, anyone?), current micro sd cards have 128gigs so any option less than that is unacceptable.

And, really, the only justification for non-removable battery and no sd card is waterproofing. I'm a fan of waterproof, but not at the expense of storage.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I also still think the "edge" design is a gimmick in current form. When they can get it to a full 90 degree angle THEN it will be a hit with all the potential offered (give me a volume/camera zoom slider on the right and capacitative buttons on the left) while retaining the normal display we are accustomed to.

Reduced bezels are the next "leap" for phones, which will give us large screens but still easy one-handed use. The S6 still has only just over 70% display. The potential to eliminate the side bezels is clearly there. Speakers and sensors don't need much room (especially if hardware/capacitative buttons are moved to the edges) - the only limiting factor MIGHT be the curved corners, but that's probably a non-issue given 16:9 or 16:10 and leaves room for speakers/sensors...5.3" display with physical dimensions of the original MotoX = win!

creaky

Reaction score
No SD slot, no removable battery (and the one supplied is small), locked down - no thanks. I've had issues w Samsung radios and build quality so waiting to see what the lg4 looks like. However, that processor sounds very promising.