Gold Member
Reaction score

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Of the two, I like the Edge. What I don't like is $1450. for the 64G version. Seems outrageous to me.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
LOL - they're charging $225 to upgrade from 32gigs storage to 128gigs when the 128gig micro sd could be had for half that (not to mention, transferring that card in future when you upgrade your phone). That's probably the real reason they got rid of the sd slot.
Just following Apple and the ridiculous prices for 128gb...
Of the two, I like the Edge. What I don't like is $1450. for the 64G version. Seems outrageous to me.
Where did you see that price Jeffrey?

Tap'd by Big 6

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No SD slot, no removable battery (and the one supplied is small), locked down - no thanks. I've had issues w Samsung radios and build quality so waiting to see what the lg4 looks like. However, that processor sounds very promising.

I think we're kind of in a no-man's land right now with CPU and Ram. Apps and OS are a ways away from catching up, and there's not going to me much additional utility from marginal gains until they breakthrough the barrier where phones can truly replace the power need with at least mid-tier laptops. Given the power/heat requirements, I think we're talking 7nm process. But they can't stop investing to get there, and so need to roll out incremental upgrades and charge us for it.

Storage breakthroughs are already here or coming, but they're going to milk us by trickling out those upgrades VERY slowly.

Like most, I always want to have the latest. But I think it will be at least 2 more years before I can justify upgrading my Droid Turbo because I see absolutely nothing on the near horizon that will offer functionally more utility to justify the cost.

I'm hoping R&D for displays gets reallocated to cameras/lenses. Wrap around screens have potential and value, but anything over 2k resolution is just a waste probably even for tablets. Maybe take a page out of Project Aura and start thinking about swapping components to refresh an increasingly stale industry to bring some killer new feature potential.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
$200...difference... Just following Apple and the ridiculous prices for 128gb...

Where did you see that price Jeffrey?

Tap'd by Big 6
Your post above Bro. Tho PhoneArena is guesstimating $650 for the 32G S6

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I understand the glass back lights up and changes color. Can anyone confirm that?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
All of you stop it, please, you and I know that you will all be first in line for this S6 beast of a smartphone, and this coming from a Note 4 owner. Is the expandable storage a downer "a little" but you can always get one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...TVPDKIKX0DER , removable battery not so much "it is nice to have, but not a deal breaker for me, and I have extra batteries that I never use, my Note 4 has fantastic battery life" and I am sure the S6 will have even better battey life with the new more power efficient .14nm Exynos beast, not the heat missle that is known as the Qualcomm Sanpdragon, their chips do get a bit hot and that is no lie. The S6 also comes with super fast rapid charging, wireless charging, fantastic camera in all lighting conditions, fast DDR4 Ram 3 Gigs of it, a gorgeous 2.5K Super Amoled screen, better speaker, better fingerprint scanner, more premium fit and finish. Tomorrow when you all gather your senses you will realize that this is a beast of a smartphone, and no other smartphone to date comes close, including my beloved Note 4.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I am sure mophie mophie Innovation - At the Forefront of New Technology will come out with a nice battery case that will protect the camera and give everyone that extra juice that you might need from time to time.
Yeah that's a nice case / charger to have and even out the camera...

And I love fast charge...one of my favorite things about Nexus 6... Other night needed a last boost for the rest of evening so quick from 5% to 50%...

Tap'd by Big 6

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung realized that they needed to go in a different direction "design wise" , their mobile division was starting to take a major hit, and changes need to be made, drastic ones at that, that is what happens at any big corp. when things are not falling the right way, and people will lose jobs over it "as it was the case at Samsung Mobile", the big boys needed to see change, and change they got in a fresh new look at Samsung mobile and it's new design language, it started with the Note 4, and it continues with the S6, and this is just the beginning of better things to come from Samsung, and getting rid of the heat missile called Snapdragon was the first step in the right direction.
This phone will sell like hot cakes, and the marketing campaign for the S6 will be nothing like anyone here has ever seen.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I have't had a S series phone since the S3, but I usually get them for my wife. I watched the live stream earlier and waited for confirmation of the lack of SD Card and removable battery. Soon as i heard that, I knew she was not going to want this phone. Cant really blame her, either.
Battery life on my Note 4 is great. I don't have a spare bbattery (haven't really needed one since the Note 2). But, if I am hacking the phone, and something goes sideways, I prefer the removable battery. As for the SD Card slot, I don't keep any of my personal files on the phone itself. They are all on my Micro SD card. Could i use cloud storage? Sure, as i have several accounts. But to backup WITHOUT using my cellular data would require me to wait until i am on Wi-Fi or connected to a computer. Not about to do all of that. Plus, going back to hacking the phone, I usually use a Micro SD card during the process. I am sure the Devs will work inside this box and get around it, but still. And honestly, I do not really trust cloud storage, unless it's mine that i would use from my home server.
To be fair, the phone looks amazing, but I prefer functionality over form. Plus, I keep my phone in a case, so it's not like it will be fully seen anyway. Overall, not all that excited. So, no S6 in this house. Here's hoping the Note 5 won't be as pretty lol

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Samsung realized that they needed to go in a different direction "design wise" , their mobile division was starting to take a major hit

They took a pretty big hit last quarter.

I haven't seen an analysis, but I think two things are happening in mobile to really dent sales:
1) the premium market is now fully saturated and sales are probably starting to track user upgrade cycles
2) users are waiting longer to upgrade because the newer phones just don't perform that much better than phones out in the past 1-2 years

Also saw Apple makes profits hand-over-fist but Android really struggles. This is because Android OEM's still haven't figured out how much money they're wasting on R&D and marketing for too many models. The other key to the Apple model is they just continue longer production runs and fill the mid-tier market with older models while the dumb Android OEM's try to develop phones specifically for that market. The Apple model is just far more efficient, and therefore much more profitable, from top to bottom.

If I was Sammie, for example,
1) I'd be selling the S4 to the lower market with production and component costs coming down on that. I'd sell the S5 to the mid-tier, and the S6 to the premium market. With the launch of the S6 I'd be running a clearance sale on the S3, possibly mostly into developing markets.

2) I would release, at most, 4 display sizes on 2-year cycles. Then the S version launches every other year, with the mini version launching in between. At this point, I'd almost go with just the S, Note and mini on 3-yr cycles. If you're keeping score at home, by the time that phone makes its way from the premium market to the low-tier developing market we're talking 5-6 years.

I mean, I've seen "mid-tier" phones launch recently with trivially different specs from the HTC Rezound, which is over 3 years old. That approach HAS to siphon-off profits from the bottom line.