Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Well it's not like we aren't accustomed to delays. The two companies sent out a joint announcement reading:

"Samsung and Google have decided to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be shortly announced."

Eric Schmidt did say, we shouldn't have to wait too much longer... he did promise us that it would launch by November.

Comments? Opinions?

Via: Engadget.com

Note: Some are speculating that this was done by Google & Nexus out of respect for the passing of Steve Jobs and possible funeral arrangements. If this is the case, I give props to both Google and Samsung for showing the dignity and respect they are giving by postponing the announcements out of respect for his family & colleagues..

Update:

Kim Titus from Samsung just released a slightly longer statement:

Samsung and Google have decided to postpone the Samsung Mobile Unpacked event during the CTIA in San Diego, previously scheduled for Oct. 11. Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product. We would ask for the understanding of our clients and media for any inconvenience caused. We will announce a new date and venue in due course.

Update
:

Google released a second statement:

“We believe this is not the right time to announce a new product as the world expresses tribute to Steve Jobs’s passing.”

Thanks Thundercats (Started Original Thread) and Jahmakan for the additional tip..

Last edited:
OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well we are gonna have to start fresh, I messed up and take full responsibility. I'd appreciate those who posted before, repost if they wish.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree if this was done because of Steve Jobs passing away....major props to both Google and ...Samsung...(Shadez...lol) This would be a valuable lesson for fanboys on both sides to learn from.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea I was moving posts from Thundercats thread and am not sure what happened... anyways, this is where it leaves us. Sorry again guys.. but news is news.

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah if that really is the reason they moved it, well there is really nothing to complain about at all. Nice gesture by Google and Samsung.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Jobs has to be the reason. Nice move out of respect, that's for sure. Again, Jobs started this whole smartphone revolution so everyone should be bummed that he is gone.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is going to be any change in the grand scheme of things or the over all time-line, we will just have to wait a titch longer to get confirmed specs. And on the bright side, it probably means we will have to wait less between the announcement and the release...

nikecar

Reaction score
I don't think its all altruistic though. Since jobs died this week, I'd wager the funeral is the weekend, so folks will be focused on that, and partly next week. I'm sure Google and Samsung want the thunder all on them, thus moving it back out a bit to allow the news to die down and have less competition due to the death.

I'd wager that now instead of a long lead up time between the announcement and launch, the window will be shorter, as the launch will still occur.

Hopefully its not like the Bionic and goes months without a launch

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I don't think its all altruistic though. Since jobs died this week, I'd wager the funeral is the weekend, so folks will be focused on that, and partly next week. I'm sure Google and Samsung want the thunder all on them, thus moving it back out a bit to allow the news to die down and have less competition due to the death.

I'd wager that now instead of a long lead up time between the announcement and launch, the window will be shorter, as the launch will still occur.

Hopefully its not like the Bionic and goes months without a launch

I agree, and I think within the next week we will be seeing the a new release date if not the release itself.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
UPDATE:

Update: Kim Titus from Samsung just released a slightly longer statement:

Samsung and Google have decided to postpone the Samsung Mobile Unpacked event during the CTIA in San Diego, previously scheduled for Oct. 11. Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product. We would ask for the understanding of our clients and media for any inconvenience caused. We will announce a new date and venue in due course.

Via: Droid-Life.Com

I think this kind of confirms that they are indeed postponing it out of respect to Steves family and colleagues.

Last edited:

jazzi

Reaction score
Sorry I started another thread with same topic.....didnt c this my bad. So sad NO PRIME n I was so amped!
But understood nonetheless.....respect.
Sent from my DINC2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
OK don't string me up but..... They put this on hold because of Steve Jobs's death!?? Why!???? I am not taking anything away from the guy.... He was a large part of the Technology we all use Today but, Why hold back new Technology? Something else has got to be cooking here....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK don't string me up but..... They put this on hold because of Steve Jobs's death!?? Why!???? I am not taking anything away from the guy.... He was a large part of the Technology we all use Today but, Why hold back new Technology? Something else has got to be cooking here....

Out of respect. Plain and simple. Why are you looking for anything beyond that?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's just a gesture of respect. I don't think there is anything more to it. They don't lose anything by delaying it a week or so and still have release on time.