Safestrap question

drevil00

Reaction score
I am new to this whole safestrap. Been using CWM for as long as i can remember when I had my Droid X. My question is can u have two stock roms and if so how would you go about installing it on the "safe" system?

Concistency

Reaction score
Ok, so yes, you can have two. I normally keep my stock ROM on the "unsafe" system and then I have the ICS4BIONIC on my other "safe" system. Basically, boot into safestrap, make a backup of your rom, because the ones in bootstrap won't work with safestrap. Then, toggle the safe system, I always like to --> wipe cache and data, format /system, wipe dalvik, just like you would flashing a rom in the bootstrap recovery. This won't effect your other system, once it's just, just boot into it like normally, it's exactly the same as bootstrap except toggling between two "systems".

OP
D

drevil00

Reaction score
Ok, so yes, you can have two. I normally keep my stock ROM on the "unsafe" system and then I have the ICS4BIONIC on my other "safe" system. Basically, boot into safestrap, make a backup of your rom, because the ones in bootstrap won't work with safestrap. Then, toggle the safe system, I always like to --> wipe cache and data, format /system, wipe dalvik, just like you would flashing a rom in the bootstrap recovery. This won't effect your other system, once it's just, just boot into it like normally, it's exactly the same as bootstrap except toggling between two "systems".

Thank you for the reply. I do get the concept of installing a second rom on the "safe" side, what i am wondering is if it is possible to have two stock roms. I have the stock. 893 loaded in the unsafe side as my backup, but would like to load another stock. 893 on the safe side so that i could start tinkering with it. I have tried the forever root way, but that just restores the whole phone. Also i tried the fastboot way and got the same result Sorry if i wasnt to clear on my op. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Concistency

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I do get the concept of installing a second rom on the "safe" side, what i am wondering is if it is possible to have two stock roms. I have the stock. 893 loaded in the unsafe side as my backup, but would like to load another stock. 893 on the safe side so that i could start tinkering with it. I have tried the forever root way, but that just restores the whole phone. Also i tried the fastboot way and got the same result Sorry if i wasnt to clear on my op. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can boot any two roms you want on safestrap, shouldn't be an issue.

km75

Reaction score
I was curious about this as well. Seems like the only thing u can do while in unsafe mode is do backups/restores. The only way I know is installing the safestrap compatible stock rom in safe mode. Then while on that rom go into unsafe mode abd back it up. But I've heard that is not a good idea to do that.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well you can make both safe and unsafe backups but they are not interchangeable.

km75

Reaction score
Right. The problem he is referring to is the fact that whatever he backed up on CMW can't be accesesd through safestrap. So unless you un-install the safestraps recovery and momentarily install CMW again to access the nandroid backup on CMW you can't have a stock rom on unsafe made. U can however toggle to safe mode with the stock rom and back it up. Which I did by the way. I just chose not to try and restore it bcuz in koush's writeup he mentions that its not good to do that because its better to keep safe/unsafe backups and what not. Currenly I have SD3 installed on unsafe mode. And liberty and rooted stock in safe mode. And I was able to go back and forth with no problem. The reason I'm concerned about this if another rom comes out I want to try in unsafe mode I can't because its not possible to install roms in safemode. No big deal but still......

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I think we are further confusing the situation. If he is on stock+root right now, and installs safestrap, you can make a backup in nonsafe mode, of the stock+root system. However, you cannot install a ROM until you activate safe mode. Then, if there was a stock+root update.zip you could flash in safe mode, you would essentially have stock+root on both nonsafe and safe modes.

If you start on a ROM and install safestrap, your nonsafe backup would be the ROM you are on when you start using safestrap. You could then activate safe mode and flash another ROM, or stock+root update.zip file.

km75

Reaction score
True. My problem is that I don't have a stock rom backed up. Call me a brave soul. I don't stress backups too much bcuz I've seen how easy and quick it is to SBF. Wish I did have one now tho. Guess I will just have to re download the stock rom on my computer and transfer it over to my SD card.
Edit: Scratch that I still won't be able to install it. Not in unsafe mode anyway.
Update. So I ended up un-installing safestrap and installed CWM recovery. Installed the rooted stock rom. Un-installed CWM. Re-installed safetsrap and backed up the stock rom. Now I have rooted stock rom and SD3 backups available in unsafe mode. And Liberty and rooted stock rom backups in unsafe mode.

Last edited:
OP
D

drevil00

Reaction score
Ok I think we are further confusing the situation. If he is on stock+root right now, and installs safestrap, you can make a backup in nonsafe mode, of the stock+root system. However, you cannot install a ROM until you activate safe mode. Then, if there was a stock+root update.zip you could flash in safe mode, you would essentially have stock+root on both nonsafe and safe modes.

If you start on a ROM and install safestrap, your nonsafe backup would be the ROM you are on when you start using safestrap. You could then activate safe mode and flash another ROM, or stock+root update.zip file.

You hit the nail on the head. I would like to know if it is possible two have two original bionic roms working with safestrap. And if it is possiible how do i install an original stock copy on the safe side. I see many possibilities with this app especially for people like me that like to tinker...lol

km75

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. I would like to know if it is possible two have two original bionic roms working with safestrap. And if it is possiible how do i install an original stock copy on the safe side. I see many possibilities with this app especially for people like me that like to tinker...lol

Yes you can. Presently I have rooted stock rom and SD3 on the unsafe side. And liberty3, hashcodes CM9 ICS, and a rooted stock rom on the safe side. Just find a stock zip and put it on your sd card and install it with clockwork recovery. Uninstall clockwork recovery and reinstall safestrap and then back up your stock rom in unsafe mode.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

drevil00

Reaction score
Yes you can. Presently I have rooted stock rom and SD3 on the unsafe side. And liberty3, hashcodes CM9 ICS, and a rooted stock rom on the safe side. Just find a stock zip and put it on your sd card and install it with clockwork recovery. Uninstall clockwork recovery and reinstall safestrap and then back up your stock rom in unsafe mode.

I already am on a srock+rooted .893 on my unsafe side and nothing on my safe side. The process u described would put me at the same place i already am at. I would like to know how, if at all possible, if you could give me a step by step so that i can have both safe and unsafe modes running stock+rooted 893. I belive i found the right file and tried installing it through safestrap by both choosing "install from sd-card" and also " install update from zip". Both attempts ended in it booting to a black screen like there was nothing for it to boot to.

km75

Reaction score
I already am on a srock+rooted .893 on my unsafe side and nothing on my safe side. The process u described would put me at the same place i already am at. I would like to know how, if at all possible, if you could give me a step by step so that i can have both safe and unsafe modes running stock+rooted 893. I belive i found the right file and tried installing it through safestrap by both choosing "install from sd-card" and also " install update from zip". Both attempts ended in it booting to a black screen like there was nothing for it to boot to.

Do you have the stock rom installed on your sd card? If so all you would have to do is go into safe mode>select install from sd card. The only difference I can think of is that I have the rooted stock rom that koush has on his sight that is safestrap compatible. Something to consider.Also you want to make sure you do a data wipe, cache wipe, and davlik cache wipe when going from one to the other.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trouble is, everyone that is responding has a D3, not a Bionic.

So you would need to find out if there is a stock rooted bionic ROM available.

If there is, it is doable.

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862