Sad how far behind microsoft is

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Microsoft has a very solid product in the Surface Pro and windows 8, I really like both of them. However for the Surface, the fact that the OS takes up a good +20gb is ridiculous. I doubt how much space the OS takes can be scaled down at this point, but they should really adjust the price of these things to reflect that you're getting around 40-45% of the proclaimed hdd space.

scott craft

Reaction score
I agree that it is ridiculous how much space the OS on the Surface Pro takes. However android tablets aren't really what the Pro is competing against since it's really a laptop with a 10.6" screen.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree that it is ridiculous how much space the OS on the Surface Pro takes. However android tablets aren't really what the Pro is competing against since it's really a laptop with a 10.6" screen.
I can somewhat agree with this. I think Microsoft is trying to take aim at a real computer/tablet experience in one, and if you've used either the Surface or Win8 you can see that. It's trying to eliminate the decision whether you want a tablet or a laptop, just get one device that does both. The downside to it is that alot of people see it as a tablet competitor (where it's not a straight tablet competitor to me) and then judgement comes after seeing the price tag(it's too expensive). Even compared to laptops it's a bit expensive, but the price falls in the Ultrabook range, so you're getting something a bit more portable than an ultrabook.

It really is a tough device to really justify getting especially if you're in the market for either. However, if you want both, then I think one could make an argument of how it's one heck of a deal as well. Problem is, don't think the rest of the general public is thinking that way. Imo, people want a great cheap tablet (the Nexus 7 for example) or a great cheap laptop (a $500 ultrabook isn't too bad considering what they were before) and even traditional 15" laptops can be as low as $299 starting price. I can see where Microsoft is going, or at least where I think they're going.

You also have to remember that this is the first wave of new Windows devices, I'm sure they'll drop in price one production and sales really pick up. Remember the Moto Xoom, I remember I dropped $600 on that device and now my $200 Nexus 7 does everything it did and some.

scott craft

Reaction score
Yes, I think the Pro is an ultrabook competitor also. I would like to have one because of the portability, but I think overall it's going to be a tough sell for most buyers. Like you said most will see it as an overpriced tablet.