s4 won't turn on or show charge after battery died

shiprx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
Hello all! So my battery was running real low and then died before I could get home from work and put it on the charger. Hours later it still will not turn on or show any indication that it is charging. I've searched forums such as this and tried numerous tips but to no avail. The only time it shows any sign of life is when I take the battery out and put it back in- the samsung logo flashes but that's it. Any ideas?? Thank you in advance for your time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum!

I'm no complete expert, but based on what you're describing, it could be 1 of a few things, each of which have a varying cost associated. Sorry if these are all things you've already checked through your tips and research.

I'll list them in order of cost associated with a fix. This is also the order in which I would troubleshoot.

1. Charger or cable could be bad. If you have another cable and/or phone charger that you can plug your existing cable into to try combinations of those, you can rule this one out or determine that it's the issue. Be careful of third-party chargers that you can buy at gas stations and etc, but for the most part, any OEM charger that came with a similar phone should work.

2. Battery could have bit the big one. By what you've described, it's not taking a charge, but the fact that you're getting just enough juice to flash the Samsung logo tells me that it's still got just a tiny bit of juice left in it.

3. The charging port on the phone could be damaged. Inside the port, there's a tiny tab that's easy to bend/snap if the charger is accidentally inserted in at an awkward angle and forced to go in.

If you happen to have a friend or family member that has an s4 and is willing to let you borrow their battery/charger for just a few minutes, it'll be easier to try and figure out what the issue is here, and cheaper than buying a new charger and/or battery only to determine that the port on the phone was the problem all along.

Do you, by any chance, have insurance on the device? You may be looking at taking the phone back if you can rule out charger and battery as the issues. If nothing else, you may be able to take it in to a VZW (assuming that's what provider you're with. Feel free to substitute who you actually use.) and the rep there might be willing to pull a battery/etc from a display or something to help test the issue.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Lint inside of your charging port can stop it from charging as well. It happened to me.

S4 batteries are inexpensive. As Jonny said I would borrow a battery from someone, see if it charges inside of your phone, and go from there.