Battery Died, Now Charging, but Won't Turn One (original Droid)

onlythegood16

Reaction score
My battery died completely tonight, which is to be expected because I wasn't able to charge it at any point with moderate to heavy use. I finally got to plug it in maybe about 45 minutes ago now, the charging light is on.... but the phone won't turn on at all. Obviously, this is a problem. Any help or insight? I tried searching the forum for older posts, but I was unsuccessful.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
plug it into the wall for a few hours andjust let it do its thing. it should be fine

OP
O

onlythegood16

Reaction score
I had it plugged in to my USB port.... just plugged it into the wall, and its now working. I feel appropriately ashamed and silly. Thank you!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
never try to charge a dead battery on anything but the wall charger - just for future reference :)

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Thanks - I had this same problem, and for a minute there I thought I'd lost everything and would have to get a new phone. Luckily I managed to spot this thread before I panicked too much!

Auslegung

Reaction score
Same problem, wall charger fixed it. Can anyone explain why it won't charge from empty with a USB charger? Seems strange to me.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Charging from a USB port via pc only offers 550mA of power the battery needs the 850mA that the wall charger supplies to charge fully from a dead battery. If you ever compare the charge time of a USB charge to a wall charge you will see that the USB charge time is significantly longer. This is due to the lower power supplied via USB.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Battery doesn't need 550, it'll charge fine on 500, but if the battery is too low then the charging circuit can't overcome internal battery resistance...

And I'm starting to wonder if these phones don't have a cutoff switch that you have to have the 850 at times to kick the thing into gear. Plug it into a minimum 700mAh circuit (car charger) to see if that helps. The supplied wall charger is best, however.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Had my battery go completely dead a few weeks ago when I mistakenly left the phone on overnight with a low battery.

Could not get it to charge with the car charger and I did not have the wall charger with me. Finally I did get the phone to start but it would die and boot loop quickly. Finally I got it to start long enough the get into airplane mode and turn off the GPS. Without the radio, wifi and GPS trying to start and run it finally started charging and it took a few hours but it did charge.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hey, SND, good info. :)

I've had mine refuse to boot once with a dead and a 700mAh car charger did the trick. Then again, maybe my battery wasn't as flat as yours was. Then again, "Every Droid is different!" seems to apply in almost EVERY situation!

So, onlythegood16, any luck? ;) I'd hope its charged up or had the problem solved in a month, but you never know.

chris420o

Reaction score
yeah i gotta say i cant STAND that the phone has to turn on when u plug it in...like how are u supposed to charge from a completly dead battery which happens so often bc bat life sucks on these phones when it dies complelty and u dont have a wall charger?? it makes zero sence to me im at my boys house right now flippin bc i cant charge my phone finally plugged the usb cable(all i had) into the wall adapter from an iphone and it still bootlooping....until i did the airplane mode trick just now THANK YOU for that trick ur the man