[Rumors] LG Nexus 5 & Nexus 7.7 with Tegra 4 & Higher Res Displays at Google I/O

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-Nexus-5-and-Nexus-7-7-rumors-commence-higher-resolution-screens-Google-IO-announcement.jpg

The rumor-mill is amping up already this year. The latest "intel" suggests that LG will again build the next Nexus smartphone, the Nexus 5. Supposedly, this new Nexus device will come with some greatly improved specs. Here's a breakdown:
  • 5" Full HD screen
  • NVIDIA Tegra 4
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 13 MP camera
  • 3 MP front-facer
  • 8 or 16 GB of storage (price for the 8 GB versions to start at $299 again)
On top of this rumor, there is another one that LG will also be making the next Nexus tablet. Supposedly it will be the Nexus 7.7 and feature the following specs:
  • 7.7-inch 1920x1200 resolution (294ppi)
  • Tegra 4
  • 8 GB & up storage
  • Front and rear HD cameras
Finally, this rumor also claims that these devices will be officially announced at Google I/O in mid-May.

Recently at CES, LG's Senior Vice President James Fisher said, "Through our collaboration with Google, we launched the LG Nexus 4 smartphone. This is the first of many devices to come from our growing partnership with this very selective company." While this seems to be an indirect hint at the above possibilities, we are still not convinced that these rumors are at all accurate. While it is possible that Google worked out a multi-device deal with LG for several Nexus devices, the fact that LG has been having supply issues (despite their denial) with the Nexus 4 would suggest that Google would be wiser to look elsewhere. Furthermore, so far Google's pattern tends to move the Nexus devices around to different manufacturers almost every year and device. Share your opinion.

Source: PhoneArena

npro1464

Reaction score
You know... because they've done such a great job of producing their first Nexus device :rolleyes:

djsiva

Reaction score
Why an 8gb? It's ridiculous to start at anything less than 16. Didn't they already learn the lesson with the Nexus 7?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
8-16gb is a way to pad the profit margin. Gotta cut corners somewhere. I think Google is cool with this because they want to push cloud storage (i.e the GNex had 32 gigs on board but no SD slot). Until that changes (if ever), if you want more storage you will have to look at other devices. Might be an olive branch from Google to allow the OEM's an easy opportunity to differentiate.

Reaction score
Why an 8gb? It's ridiculous to start at anything less than 16. Didn't they already learn the lesson with the Nexus 7?

I thought the same thing. I hate how every phone and device out there starts with a lower number like that and then 6 months later they up the numbers and make it look like a sale.

I understand they're a business and trying to make money, but they're milking it and it's annoying.

Of course all of it could be solved by adding sd card slots, but trends are leading towards everything being integrated now.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
You know... because they've done such a great job of producing their first Nexus device :rolleyes:

Really, I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from people I know who have one, though I guess they're based.

npro1464

Reaction score
Really, I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from people I know who have one, though I guess they're based.

The phone is great, don't get me wrong. It's just that the company producing them can't keep up with demand. The Nexus 4 would have been a huge hit, but LG bombed big time somewhere in their supply chain. I suspect they wanted to produce more Optimus phones, and put the Nexus on the back burner. Well now it's 2 months later and they're still "sold out," yet no one is getting them. This phone could have revolutionized the industry, persuading consumers off of carrier contracts and subsidized phones in favor of the freedom of choice in prepaid networks. But now they've missed their chance in making this phone a "game changer".

If I were Google I would push out the next Nexus phone this Spring with Samsung, HTC or Asus and drop LG like a hot potato.

beerme

Reaction score
i have a nexus 7... it's great for reading and other media, but i think the 8-inch form factor would be much better while still being portable. 7.7 could be nice.

beerme

Reaction score
If I were Google I would push out the next Nexus phone this Spring with Samsung, HTC or Asus and drop LG like a hot potato.
Samsung is my favorite manufacturer... i've had the galaxy s, s2, galaxy nexus, s3, note ii, and nexus 10.... I'm not sure how it all goes down when working with Google, but at times i have felt like they deliberately held back the galaxy nexus, so people would still buy plenty from their galaxy line in the same period. Like they could have easily deliver better features in some aspects, but didn't for whatever reason. The screen, although 720p, wasn't that impressive for a samsung phone and the processor/gpu became outdated quicker than usual. It was a great phone, but maybe I expected too much? I would love a Samsung Nexus with Exynos 5 Octa and a 5-inch 1080p HD Super AMOLED RGB display. HTC without bloated sense ui could be an interesting choice, especially now that they're making thinner/lighter phones. I hope Motorola stays out of the equation... their phones are too bulky/squared off.

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Samsung is my favorite manufacturer... i've had the galaxy s, s2, galaxy nexus, s3, note ii, and nexus 10.... I'm not sure how it all goes down when working with Google, but at times i have felt like they deliberately held back the galaxy nexus, so people would still buy plenty from their galaxy line in the same period. Like they could have easily deliver better features in some aspects, but didn't for whatever reason. The screen, although 720p, wasn't that impressive for a samsung phone and the processor/gpu became outdated quicker than usual. It was a great phone, but maybe I expected too much? I would love a Samsung Nexus with Exynos 5 Octa and a 5-inch 1080p HD Super AMOLED RGB display. HTC without bloated sense ui could be an interesting choice, especially now that they're making thinner/lighter phones. I hope Motorola stays out of the equation... their phones are too bulky/squared off.

I felt the same way about the Gnex, if they would have just put the S4 processor in it like the s3 has, it would have sold like hot cakes and had much better battery life. It was out, they could have....should have....
the gnex was the second phone with a 720p screen so not that far behind.