[Rumor]Nexus 5 Not Coming to Google I/O; Instead 32GB LTE LG Nexus 4 with Android 5.0

Briankbl

Reaction score
So since this Nexus 4 LTE isn't Verizon branded (hopefully!), does that mean apps such as Google Wallet will work?

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Briankbl

Reaction score
So since this Nexus 4 LTE isn't Verizon branded (hopefully!), does that mean apps such as Google Wallet will work?

Bumping this since the Nexus line seems to be the only hope for Google Wallet lol. Hopefully this news story pans out!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
verizon can tell google to block google wallet on all verizon nexus devices. same as it's going on right now on galaxy nexus. it works fine, once you get it installed which is a task in it's own.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
verizon can tell google to block google wallet on all verizon nexus devices. same as it's going on right now on galaxy nexus. it works fine, once you get it installed which is a task in it's own.

Verizon can't block software on a device it's not even selling. This device would come straight from Google, and as such eliminates the Verizon equation. The same principle applies to updates as well, the Google branded get their updates instantaneously directly from Google whereas phones from Verizon's supply take much, much longer.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Also this is the follow up to this rumor;

AT&T Google Nexus 5 Tipped, 3-Month Exclusivity Has Verizon & Sprint High & Dry [RUMOR] | SidhTech

One of the most talked about and rumoured handsets is the Google Nexus 5 or as some call it the Google X. The X Phone has been rumoured to be arriving in May at the I/O, however some have said this isn’t going to happen. New rumours now suggest that the handset could be coming onto the market this August.This rumour has made many fans very excited of course, however there is more news to come and this will please people who are with the carrier AT&T.
AndroidAndMe have said that the X Phone will be coming out in August and that it will arrive first at AT&T, who will have it exclusively for 3 months. If you are with any other carrier, the bad news is that you will have to wait until November to get your hands on the device. This is very similar to what we saw with the Sprint Nexus 4G and the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus which arrived many months after their GSM counterparts.
It has been said that the Google Nexus 5 / Google X Phone will arrive with all-time activated voice control. It is also said to have predictive intelligence that will be able to launch apps and that features can be used by the way the phone is held.
There were some rumours going around that the device would run on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. However now there are rumours that say the handset will have a low price tag and will not be high end as it was first said to be. Therefore it will more than likely have the Snapdragon 600 processor says A&M.
It is strange that this is the first time even that rumours surrounding the handset have nothing at all to do with the OS. Rumours have said that the handset will have Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie and that this too will be launched at the I/O this year. However there are some serious questions about the OS.
At the moment the chance of Key Lime Pie coming out at the I/O is looking on the bleak side, thanks to many reports about the testing of the next version of Android, which may be Android 4.3
Of course at the moment these are all rumours and we are waiting to hear what Google and Motorola have to say. So are you excited about a potential Google Nexus 5 made by Motorola? Or do you still believe that the Google Nexus 5 and Motorola X are two different devices but the X just happens to be getting first dibs on the next Android version first because of Google’s recent takeover of Motorola?

Briankbl

Reaction score
Verizon can't block software on a device it's not even selling. This device would come straight from Google, and as such eliminates the Verizon equation. The same principle applies to updates as well, the Google branded get their updates instantaneously directly from Google whereas phones from Verizon's supply take much, much longer.

Exactly my thoughts. A Nexus device not tied down to a carrier, but still Verizon LTE compatible, is exactly what I've been waiting for!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm going with the Nexus 5 and Motorola X Phone being two different handsets. AT&T will get the Nexus 5 while Verizon passes on it in favor of the Motorola X Phone. Purely speculation but it makes sense to me :big smile:

Then the X Phone and all of it's constituent parts are of no interest to me so long as the Nexus 5 can be activated on Verizons network, I've got to get away from being forced to these data plans.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I need to clarify what I mean there, what I mean to say is why on earth would Google not release the N5 for availability on all carriers simultaneously? If I buy a phone from a non carrier, then why the favoritism?