[Rumor] SGS3 may have 4.6" Super AMOLED Plus HD display with 319ppi pixel density

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-319ppi.jpg

Another day, another Samsung Galaxy SIII rumor... Today's info suggests that we now have more concrete information regarding the screen on Samsung's next flagship phone. Supposedly, the folks at DigiTimes got word from somewhere within the Samsung supply chain that the new screen for the SGS3 will be a 4.6" Super AMOLED Plus HD display and feature a 319ppi pixel density. Additionally, the "Plus" in the name indicates a regular RGB matrix, not the typical PenTile arrangement Samsung has used in its past high-res AMOLED displays. Here's a quote from the DigiTimes:

Sources in the supply chain said Samsung is likely to launch a 4.6 inch Galaxy S3 that has an increased pixel size of 319ppi in the second or third quarter of 2012, and will use the Super AMOLED HD Plus panel.

With these specs, we could finally see a smartphone screen that surpasses that of the Retina display on the iPhone. If this rumor turns out to be accurate, this will be just one more very good reason to snag the SGS3. Who wants one now?

Source: Android.net via DigiTimes

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if it comes to VZW ( which i doubt it will) i want .. otherwise just another phone I cannot have ..

g_what

Reaction score
I wanted one before this post. This just makes it more appealing. I have a GNex, so I probably won't actually get one. Unless the rest of the phone specs are absolutely mind-boggling, I can't justify purchasing a phone out of contract this soon.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
Sounds great but so is my GNex which I will have till my contract comes up for renewal. Plus I'll get better software upgrades than I would with other phones including the Galaxy SIII likely.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If it doesn't come to VZW there's no way I'm giving up my unlimited 4G data and switching carriers to get it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If it doesn't come to VZW there's no way I'm giving up my unlimited 4G data and switching carriers to get it.

Come now, everyone knows these days unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited. When they throttle slower than 3G speeds, its useless.

Reaction score
Unless this phone has a 6 core intel processor and a NVIDIA GTX680 then im not even touching it. My guess with a screen size of 4.6" is that it will be possible.

npro1464

Reaction score
4.6 is too damn big! I'd probably get one, i just wish the manufacturers were going the opposite way in screen size. The only way to get a 4 inch device is to live with lower specs and zero dev support

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Come now, everyone knows these days unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited. When they throttle slower than 3G speeds, its useless.

You're right. I should just go ahead and pay the same amount for 2GB per month.

52brandon

Reaction score
4.6 is too damn big! I'd probably get one, i just wish the manufacturers were going the opposite way in screen size. The only way to get a 4 inch device is to live with lower specs and zero dev support
it looks like the screen will go right to the edge of the case. I don't think the phone will be any bigger than the nexus. I do also wish they would go 4" though

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i highly doubt that if a phone like the sgsIII came to verizon that it wouldnt have 4g and verizon doesnt throttle 4g (yet)

loki993

Reaction score
Unless this phone has a 6 core intel processor and a NVIDIA GTX680 then im not even touching it. My guess with a screen size of 4.6" is that it will be possible.

Gawd, could you imaging the battery life on that or the car battery sized pack you'd have to carry around to get anything decent out of it? Welcome back bag phones. We missed you. lol.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
If samsung can't promise two years of update then it will better for most users to either learn to root or get galaxy nexus for android 5.0 Os or better. Then I'm happy with my 4 inch samsung stratosphere.

To be honest I think 4 inches is to big. I like the original droid 3.7 inch not 4.6 or 4.5 inch devices. Their to huge in my opinion.

Samsung galaxy s3 will probably be from 4.8 inches to 5.