Samsung Says the Galaxy S III Uses the PenTile Display Because it Lasts Longer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
PenTileDisplay-sgs3-explanation.png

I will leave it up to you guys to decide if this is just a convenient excuse or a valid argument. Samsung has come forward to address disappointment that the new Samsung Galaxy S III will still feature a PenTile Matrix, instead of a Super AMOLED Plus display. They shared that it was a conscious choice that was in the best interest of the consumer. Apparently, they chose the PenTile display because it lasts longer without degradation than their own Super AMOLED Plus display. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Samsung states that Super AMOLED Plus displays have a tendency to deteriorate over time, especially the blue subpixels, which actually degrade the fastest. Since PenTile displays feature fewer blue subpixels, they will last longer, says Samsung. Also, since the pixel density of the S III’s screen is much higher due to its high resolution, the PenTile issues are minimized and most people cannot see the difference in quality.

So, does this change your opinion about the SGS3? Did it even matter to you to begin with?

To make things even more interesting, we've decided to turn this into a poll. Make your vote as to whether you are excited by the new Galaxy S3, you hate the new SGS3, you are ambivalent about it, or you will have to wait to see it before you make a decision.

Source: TalkAndroid

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^ I was thinking this same thing...

acousticshade

Reaction score
This is the reason I try to stay away from Amoled screens. In 2 years I want to pass my phone off to another family member WITHOUT having screen burn-in issues. The oversaturated colors of these displays also make it harder to determine if you've taken a good camera shot or to do photo editing with any accuracy. On the plus side, they do enhance gaming and video watching, so to each his own.

I think it's also unfortunate that ICS has all these blue hues/icons everywhere which are going to degrade these screens faster. Would be interesting to know exactly how long a true Amoled and a Pentile screen holds up before you can notice the burn in.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The screen tech doesn't bother me. If it looks good to the eye, who cares about the tech behind it? Do you really think having slightly better blacks or colors will make a big difference on such a small screen. its not a 60" flat screen TV.

BigZig

Reaction score
Where are all the PenTile screen Bashers at? Me personaly I dont mind the PenTile Screen in the BIONIC, but the screen on the LG 4x HD looks amazing. I hope they bring this phone or a similar version to the U.S.

acousticshade

Reaction score
In a word, yes. To some people it matters & to others it doesn't. Notice that Samsung said '...most people won't notice the difference..."

Also, geeks love their specs. Some people won't buy a device simply because spec A is better than spec B and that phone has spec B. End of story, crash, bang.

Detonation

Reaction score
I would think that these screens would last 2-3 years either way (as long as they're not on 24/7) - the technology will be obsolete and people will be buying new phones on new contracts before there's any significant screen degradation. This is just their PR reasoning for using a different screen that costs them less.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Possibly, although some people like myself shy away from Oled screens because of the burn-in issue and Samsung knows this. There are threads on the GNEX where people did not buy the phone due to the Amoled screen (It's one of several reasons why I did not purchase it).

Your 2-3 year life estimate is probably spot on for most users, but I've seen phones that were burned in after just 6 months (very heavy usage though). Not all users want to throw away their phones after 2 years also, so Sammy is obviously trying to pacify them.

Finally, some food for thought. Smart phone usage is really starting to increase. With more apps, games and useful tools, many people have their phone's screen on for multiple hours every single day whereas one or two years ago, those same people may have used the screen for 5-10 minutes at a time here and there.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
On such a small screen there will be virtually NO visible difference. The only people who care would be the people who are tech-geeks and know this information. If we told everybody that that Super amoled WAS used even though it really was this "PenTile" I bet there would still be a ton of people bragging to other people about how awesome their screen is because of the super amoled. Placebo effect.

Reaction score
When I first got my Bionic I couldn't stand the screen at all. The muddy looking colors and fish net type of effect are very noticeable and really suck. Anyway I've gotten very used to it and don't really notice anything anymore.

One of the very best things about pentile is looking at the screen in daylight and all I can say is WOW. HUUUGE plus on that. Another great thing is that the screen draws a lot less power making your battery last longer.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The screen tech doesn't bother me. If it looks good to the eye, who cares about the tech behind it? Do you really think having slightly better blacks or colors will make a big difference on such a small screen. its not a 60" flat screen TV.

Exactly. Cuz ...my eyes.... likes my RAZR screen more than my Rezounds. Pentile plays no part in my liking or not liking a screen overall. The overall makeup of the screen, the overall pros n cons will tell me whether I like it or not. The thing for me tho....I like the colors and blacks better on my RAZR...lol. I used to be a big LCD fan...until I got the RAZR. Now all I want is Amoled unless some of the pros of Amoled make their way to LCD's. And the screen tech is not a deal breaker for me. I had a G Nex too. I like the G Nex screen the best between all 3....but I dont want a G Nex.

In a word, yes. To some people it matters & to others it doesn't. Notice that Samsung said '...most people won't notice the difference..."

Also, geeks love their specs. Some people won't buy a device simply because spec A is better than spec B and that phone has spec B. End of story, crash, bang.

This is so true.

Not gonna lie...I was a big spec, benchmark fiend. Over the past few years I have went away from that alot. My wants n needs go beyond the fastest browser score, the highest FPS, etc. I will give a chip, phone props for the scores...but scores alone isnt a deal breaker and isnt at the top of my list for wants n needs. I was seriously thinking about getting a Bionic, and I may get a RAZR Maxx. I miss the FM Radio, the Bionic has one. That one lil feature...that and outdoor viewing has me thinking hard about getting one.

We all dont have the same wants n needs. Some of us dont realize that.

Last edited:

Jeyman

Reaction score
Only deal breaker is if I can get root and make it my own with theaming and editing. Im willing to bet the phone looks amazing and that wont take away from it.

You have to look at the phone as a hole; how does it feel? does it look good(not the screen), how fast does it run, and will the net not drop out every 5min.

tc1

Reaction score
jroc said:
Exactly. Cuz ...my eyes.... likes my RAZR screen more than my Rezounds. Pentile plays no part in my liking or not liking a screen overall. The overall makeup of the screen, the overall pros n cons will tell me whether I like it or not. The thing for me tho....I like the colors and blacks better on my RAZR...lol. I used to be a big LCD fan...until I got the RAZR. Now all I want is Amoled unless some of the pros of Amoled make their way to LCD's. And the screen tech is not a deal breaker for me. I had a G Nex too. I like the G Nex screen the best between all 3....but I dont want a G Nex.

This is so true.

Not gonna lie...I was a big spec, benchmark fiend. Over the past few years I have went away from that alot. My wants n needs go beyond the fastest browser score, the highest FPS, etc. I will give a chip, phone props for the scores...but scores alone isnt a deal breaker and isnt at the top of my list for wants n needs. I was seriously thinking about getting a Bionic, and I may get a RAZR Maxx. I miss the FM Radio, the Bionic has one. That one lil feature...that and outdoor viewing has me thinking hard about getting one.

We all dont have the same wants n needs. Some of us dont realize that.

Have a rezound now, had a razor before.

Even though i like the hd screen on the rezound, i think i prefer the bright colorful amoled screen of the razor.

Movies and games looked incredible on it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally, some food for thought. Smart phone usage is really starting to increase. With more apps, games and useful tools, many people have their phone's screen on for multiple hours every single day whereas one or two years ago, those same people may have used the screen for 5-10 minutes at a time here and there.
still limited by battery capacity, not everyone likes to be attached to charger whole day.