[Rumor] Nexus 6 May be Coming to Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo-black-red.PNG

google-nexus-grey-shadowed-transparent-background-logo.png

According to the latest rumint, Verizon may not be finished shocking their customers. Not only did they recently change their minds on their plan to throttle hi-volume Unlimited Data users, it also appears they may actually get the next Nexus Android phone!

According to unnamed sources which spoke with the folks at Pocketnow, Big Red is actually " ready to embrace the next Nexus phone," and plans to start with Google's Nexus 6 as soon as it is announced later this month. This is obviously in stark contrast to their policy for the last several years of avoiding Nexus devices, but perhaps things are shifting inside of Verizon. Perhaps they are encouraged because the Nexus 6 will likely be a Motorola product...

Feel free to do a happy dance now just in case this turns out to be true. :D

Here's our Motorola Nexus 6 section: Motorola Nexus 6 Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not to split hairs, but I always assumed that like the first few Nexi, recent versions were also offered to Verizon, who then stipulated all kinds of Android-unfriendly requirements. And Google replied, "screw you."

So if the rumor is true, it could either mean: (a) like the iPhone experience, Verizon realized they were losing lots of revenue by all their extra stipulations, which they've loosened, or (b) for some odd reason Google has decided to accept the terms, which basically means the Verizon version WON'T be a Google experience phone. I'll be curious to see which version of events proves true. What am I betting??? I'll eat my left shoe if the VZW Nexus comes with vanilla L!

-Matt

Gremlin

Reaction score
Aargh!!! I wish they released this info like last month.. would have waited for this phone!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to split hairs, but I always assumed that like the first few Nexi, recent versions were also offered to Verizon, who then stipulated all kinds of Android-unfriendly requirements. And Google replied, "screw you."

So if the rumor is true, it could either mean: (a) like the iPhone experience, Verizon realized they were losing lots of revenue by all their extra stipulations, which they've loosened, or (b) for some odd reason Google has decided to accept the terms, which basically means the Verizon version WON'T be a Google experience phone. I'll be curious to see which version of events proves true. What am I betting??? I'll eat my left shoe if the VZW Nexus comes with vanilla L!

-Matt
Quick! You better have a chocolate mold of your left shoe made just in case! ;)

techinv

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Not very eager to repeat. But...... more choice is usually better than less choice.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
wtf is a "rumint"? Rumor is too long a word and needs shortened??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I spoke yesterday with a high end technician at Verizon and he confirmed the Nexus is coming to Verizon, and that it's Motorola's phone. May not be big news of a big surprise but my source is reliable.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oh crud.. Now do I get the new Droid or the nexus... AAAAAAAHHHHHH.. Over stimulation....

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have the Nexus phones in the past come rootable with unlocked bootloaders? If I can get it with 64GB and it's rootable/unlockable, I could live w/out the SD Card.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't care if it makes coffee at this point. Too big.
SO what is the NEXT Nexus going to do? Nexus 7? O wait... um...

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I have mentioned this before, but the GNex was not released on VZW through Google. That was an agreement between Samsung and Verizon directly, which is why it turned into such a mess. If Google does have control of this phone, there shouldn't be any of the issues we had with the GNex.

This is a small snippet from a reply I got from a Google Rep, before I understood the situation------
"Google did not release the GalaxyNexus for Verizon, Samsung did on their own accord with Verizon. "

P.S. Not that I'm counting on this happening, but I always felt if a Nexus ever did make its way back on Verizon, it would likely be when Motorola had a chance to produce it. Those two obviously have had a long and close relationship.

Last edited: