New Nexus 5 and More Could be Coming Later This Year from LG and Hauwei [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-5-full-view.png

Here is some interesting intel to kick off your Monday morning, especially if you are a Google Nexus fan. According to the latest rumors, we may yet see a new Nexus 5 released later this year. According to the rumor, LG is likely to make the second generation Nexus 5 again. This time the Nexus 5 will likely have a 5.2-inch display instead of the 5-inch found in the OG Nexus 5.

That's not all though. The same sources suggest that a 5.7-inch Huawei Nexus device is also in the works. Will this be the next generation Nexus 6, or something else entirely? It seems odd that Huawei would supplant Motorola, considering the Nexus 6 was so well received. Of course, Google does like to "pass the torch" around for Nexus devices. What do you think if these rumors turn out to be true.

Source: BGR

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of this idea of "second generation" nexus devices. At least not where phones are concerned. The second gen Nexus 7 made sense to me, but I think they should rename the phones completely. It's going to bug me if they make the Nexus 5 (2) since the Nexus 6 is already out. There's no going back.

Dunno why it bothers me so much, but I also kinda have a hard time believing that Google would go for this plan as well. Keep moving forward. Make a "follow-up" Nexus device, by all means, but give it a new iteration. The nexus line isn't like the Galaxy line or the G line from LG. It's varied and beautiful. You never know what you'll get next time around. Don't start making slightly updated clones like oems do. That's part of the draw of the program, that different oems get their crack at it, then the torch is passed on.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought they should have aligned Nexus devices with the next iteration of Android. So in this instance, the Nexus 6 should have been the Nexus 5, because it's running Android Lollipop 5.x.

If the next Nexus is running 5.5, then name the next Nexus 5.5??

I dunno, naming is getting a bit dirty these days. Maybe it's easier to just call it Nexus 5 2nd Gen, since the Nexus 7 2nd Gen included the "2nd Gen" nomenclature to differentiate itself.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I don't mind if they name it Nexus 5 again just like they did with the N7. Nexus 5 2nd gen or Nexus 5 2015/2016

And 5.2" <- perfect size for a phone.

Last edited: