[Rumor] New Moto X to Feature Dual LTE MIMO Antenna for Faster Data Speeds

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-from-mwc-logo.jpg

Here's an intriguing new rumor about the hot new Moto X phone. Supposedly one of its more advanced hardware features will be a Dual LTE MIMO (Multiple-Input and Multiple-Output ) Antenna. This should facilitate faster data speeds and more consistent connections. More often than not you see MIMO tech used in WiFi, but it isn't relegated to only that medium. It can be used on both HSPA and LTE radios.

The source of this intel is Taylor Wimberly's Google+ post. This "blogger" has seen some success with several of his previous "leaks" so there's a good chance this is accurate. Motorola is known for having outstanding radios. Does this feature make a difference for any of you who were on the fence about this phone?

Source: Taylor Wimberly Google+ Post

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Nope. Just waiting for it to drop.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
DEFINITELY makes sense to put some of the cost into the antenna instead of adding useless ghz and megapixels. Although I'm unsure how much real-world difference it will make, because beyond a certain speed (well below typical LTE speeds) the constraint is normally the site you're trying to get content from.

Big part of the problem is the mobilizers and mobile site speeds are third-rate - antenna and LTE have nothing to do with that. Your phone literally sits there waiting for the site to send the data.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does this mean we need twice the battery? :blink:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
lets hope they dont do a lot of pre-release hype like the bionic then drop the ball again.

Asgard

Reaction score
DEFINITELY makes sense to put some of the cost into the antenna instead of adding useless ghz and megapixels. Although I'm unsure how much real-world difference it will make, because beyond a certain speed (well below typical LTE speeds) the constraint is normally the site you're trying to get content from.

Big part of the problem is the mobilizers and mobile site speeds are third-rate - antenna and LTE have nothing to do with that. Your phone literally sits there waiting for the site to send the data.

Sadly what I see on most consumers is: "I want to take awesome pictures for my facebook/instagram" and a classic "My phone is more powerful than your computer/ I have a 2GHz phone with 2 GB of RAM but I don't know what it means"

Does this mean we need twice the battery? :blink:

That's the first thing that came to my mind reading the title, most of the results on MIMO show that it impacts battery life greatly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the first thing that came to my mind reading the title, most of the results on MIMO show that it impacts battery life greatly.

These statements always strike me as a bit comical. People always overstate the issue - like 75% of the battery drain is the display. Even if something else doubles, the impact is pretty marginal. Like the whole big/little processor thing - my cpu rarely shows over 10% of my battery so how much savings are there to be had, really? Maybe an hour under heavy use, but with heavy use I'm probably already recharging at some point during the day so that hour "savings" really doesn't matter.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
These statements always strike me as a bit comical. People always overstate the issue - like 75% of the battery drain is the display. Even if something else doubles, the impact is pretty marginal. Like the whole big/little processor thing - my cpu rarely shows over 10% of my battery so how much savings are there to be had, really? Maybe an hour under heavy use, but with heavy use I'm probably already recharging at some point during the day so that hour "savings" really doesn't matter.

While I agree with you about the display, the fact of the matter is, LTE on Samsung radios (I know, Samsung) has been less than desirable, especially in questionable signal areas. If you have 2 radios trying to connect to a questionable signal, there is no doubt the battery loss will be much greater. Equal with the display? Definitely not. Very noticeable? Undeniably yes.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
While I agree with you about the display, the fact of the matter is, LTE on Samsung radios (I know, Samsung) has been less than desirable, especially in questionable signal areas. If you have 2 radios trying to connect to a questionable signal, there is no doubt the battery loss will be much greater. Equal with the display? Definitely not. Very noticeable? Undeniably yes.

That was my thought when I had the nexus. That thought went away went I bought my note 2. Sammy's radios with the exynos chip works very well with LTE (at least AT&T's).

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
That was my thought when I had the nexus. That thought went away went I bought my note 2. Sammy's radios with the exynos chip works very well with LTE (at least AT&T's).

GS4 radios are good also.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
N2 radios are excellent.. Nexus overall was a great phone but somewhere Samsung missed it with that one.. I truly enjoyed the phone for customizing but never got desires battery life with all mods.. Kernels.. Etc.... I think from n2 and what I'm hearing from S4 friends they've figured it out..

N2 Tap'd

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
N2 radios are excellent.. Nexus overall was a great phone but somewhere Samsung missed it with that one.. I truly enjoyed the phone for customizing but never got desires battery life with all mods.. Kernels.. Etc.... I think from n2 and what I'm hearing from S4 friends they've figured it out..

N2 Tap'd

That in OEMS don't seem to put their best foot forward with nexus devices. Because of how low it is being sold for it is like you get short cuts. The Google experience devices seem to be the better option because you get the hardware that is the OEMS best plus googles software. If they continue I expect to see Google experience software get better as the years go by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
So, does anyone know what the supposed "Wow" factor is about these phones vs the phone designs of Motorola's 18 month pipeline that Google inherited?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Sounds like Motorola is finally trying to satisfy the consumer rather than just throw phones out into the wild. I'm curious to know how much influence Google is having on this phone's build. I really don't think they are sticking to that "will continue to be separate companies" spiel they said before.