[Rumor] Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD Maybe Delayed by Antenna Problems

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-motorla-droid-razr-hd-antenna-location.jpeg

We have a new rumor for the Motorola Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD that might be painful to read. Just yesterday we got word that the phones may drop into retail stores on October 18th. Unfortunately, hot on the heels of that good news is this bad news. Supposedly, both phones have been delayed because of antenna problems.

The problem is supposedly related to the size and location of the antennas. Additionally, in this design, the antennas actually make contact with the external edges of the device. This is reportedly causing the signal to degrade over time as the user touches those areas. (This sounds remarkably like the whole "You are holding it wrong" incident with the iPhone.) Here's a quote with a few more details,

For example, on the DROID RAZR M, the LTE antenna is located at the top the unit and measures 18.9mm width by 37.0mm length, but on the DROID RAZR HD the LTE antenna is located on the bottom and is only 10.5mm width by 30.0mm length. There is also a difference in size with the Main Antenna, which is used for Voice and 3G EVDO, but the DROID RAZR HD does have a second diversity SVDO TX antenna at the top.

Sources say that Motorola is working to correct the antenna issues on the DROID RAZR HD and MAXX HD and are still pushing for a holiday release, though it may not make it until after Thanksgiving/Black Friday. We hope that Motorola does the right thing and resolves this, as they don't want another poor-reception DROID BIONIC on their hands.

Of course we are crossing our fingers that the issue is just a rumor, or has already been resolved. We will keep you informed.

Source: PhoneArena

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
verizon-motorla-droid-razr-hd-antenna-location.jpeg

We have a new rumor for the Motorola Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD that might be painful to read. Just yesterday we got word that the phones may drop into retail stores on October 18th. Unfortunately, hot on the heels of that good news is this bad news. Supposedly, both phones have been delayed because of antenna problems.

The problem is supposedly related to the size and location of the antennas. Additionally, in this design, the antennas actually make contact with the external edges of the device. This is reportedly causing the signal to degrade over time as the user touches those areas. (This sounds remarkably like the whole "You are holding it wrong" incident with the iPhone.) Here's a quote with a few more details,

Of course we are crossing our fingers that the issue is just a rumor, or has already been resolved. We will keep you informed.

Source: PhoneArena

Poor reception bionic? Pretty sure it was software whereas this would be hardware.

Man oh man, hopefully [this] gets resolved, I'm still going to check these out either way.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So you can do voice and data over EVDO on this?

diablo81588

Reaction score
I believe you can with most, if not all Verizon 4G phones.

No, only a few phones support simultaneous voice and data over CDMA. Most phones support it while connected to 4G (minus iPhone 5), but only then.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

geoff5093

Reaction score
No, only a few phones support simultaneous voice and data over CDMA. Most phones support it while connected to 4G (minus iPhone 5), but only then.

I know the Thunderbolt and Rezound did, and I was under the impression most other 4G phones could do voice and data over 3G as well.

diablo81588

Reaction score
I know the Thunderbolt and Rezound did, and I was under the impression most other 4G phones could do voice and data over 3G as well.

They have to support 1x advanced, which most phones don't. A few HTCs and all phones with the s4 chipset.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Actually the antenna location is not an issue. I believe most phones have the antenna on the outer edge, but the signal issues, at least from what I recall from the Antennagate days, is that a thin layer of insulation to keep it away from actually touching the outer edge of the phone can solve the problem.