[Rumor] Verizon Won't Have a Droid RAZR HD MAXX; Only a Droid RAZR HD with 8MP Cam

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
older-pictures-of-the-DROID-RAZR-HD.jpeg

According to some new rumors, Verizon and Motorola may actually be playing things smart with their new Droid RAZR HD. The new intel indicates they will not be producing a separate Droid RAZR HD MAXX. Instead, they will only have the Droid RAZR HD, and it will come with a 2530 mAH battery. This is a smart compromise between the original Droid RAZR's 1780 and the RAZR MAXX's 3300 mAH. Also, it would illustrate Moto's new improved focus. Instead of trying to gouge customers with two variants of the same device, instead they will be offering just one high-end product.

This rumor isn't all good news, however. The other bit of intel is that the previously rumored 13MP camera was untrue. Instead, this new phone will simply have an improved 8MP camera. The other disappointing part of these rumors is that the device won't be available until around October or November, and that it won't get Jelly Bean until early in 2013. Yikes!

Finally, the source of this info supposedly confirmed that the above pics (leaked back in early August) are in fact what the device will look like. Share your thoughts.

Source: RAZRForums via PhoneArena

armeddroid

Reaction score
I think its a safe compromise too. And now that they are with Google now, you would think the updates for this phone would be much sooner.
8mp vs 13mp sucks but who knows? Might not be bad at all.
Ill def check it out once its released. I am kinda holding off to see what the next Nexus brings to the table.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd rather see an emphasis made on improving the quality of the camera components rather than increasing the MP count on the sensor. I'd rather have a 5MP camera with a "fast" (for a phone camera) lens and sophisticated software that takes crisp photos than a 15MP camera with a slow lens that takes grainy, blurred, photos with poor color contrast and reproduction. More megapixels isn't anywhere even close to what makes for a good camera.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its a safe compromise too. And now that they are with Google now, you would think the updates for this phone would be much sooner.
8mp vs 13mp sucks but who knows? Might not be bad at all.
Ill def check it out once its released. I am kinda holding off to see what the next Nexus brings to the table.

We've been hearing that for awhile now. Updates have not come any quicker for moto phones. The Bionic is still waiting on ICS. And like previously mentioned, megapixels have very little to do with the quality of pictures. Unless you're blowing up poster size pictures, you'll never know the difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Got tired of wanting a new toy, so I went and got a nexus 7.. :)

R

RETG

I'll agree, MP mean nothing unless you are printed a giant photo. I also would prefer a better sensor. But for actual photos I use Nikon DSLR.
Battery size is not a factor, in fact the 2530 battery sounds more than capable for the greater majority of people.
Biggest problem I have is the JB release. Bad experience with my X and the GB upgrade, and it still has some minor problems due to that upgrade. Besides, it makes NO sense not to have the latest and greatest OS on the phone if it is not released until October.

Maybe HTC or LG will release a high-end phone for Verizon and I'll say goodbye to Moto and jump to another manufacturer (Other than Samdung).

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No biggie as long as it has the same, or better, battery currently found in the Razr Maxx. As it would be a dumb move not to include the largest stock battery available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Batman8

Reaction score
2 little, 2 late!! This WAS the phone that I was seriously interested in until it just seemed to have a release that was waaaaay too far away (Oct?). In the mean time VZW was doing away with their unlimited data plans "as we knew them" so I had to quickly upgrade to the GS3. So now I could care less what Moto does with the Razr HD and I absolutely LOVE my Samsung device.

Even still, the Razr HD should be the biggest, badest beast of the Razr family. Therefore it should have a bigger screen, a greatly improved camera (especially being called "HD") and it should definitely have the same battery as the MAXX considering that it will need it, so if it doesn't AT LEAST have these things then that sucks and I wouldn't buy it anyway!!!

It also feels kind of good to get away from Motorola for a while...my last 3 droids were from them (D1, DX, Bionic) and I had too many data issues.

jerkwad

Reaction score
No biggie as long as it has the same, or better, battery currently found in the Razr Maxx. As it would be a dumb move not to include the largest stock battery available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lol it isn't going to have the same battery as the Maxx - did you just read the title? ;-)

with the compromise in battery size (slightly thinner or less volume probably) but a, hopefully, more efficient cpu it may not NEED the same battery to achieve the same performance and will free up some room for radios/other stuff (NFC, for example)...i wouldn't say it is a dumb move.

The REAL dumb moves are 1) the release times with ICS still on it (they have NO excuse to not have JB ready for these systems) and 2) probably a locked and encrypted bootloader.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
too bad for moto, i was considering getting this phone if it would have same battery as maxx. as it stands now i'll pass. battery and ergonomics is all i really care about at this point.

jerkwad

Reaction score
^ do you know what kind of battery life the HD Razr will get with the S4 chip instead of the OMAP? If the S4 is even 10% more efficient in the way it handles the battery you aren't going to notice a difference (assuming everyone charges within a 24 hour window). this is less than 20% difference in battery life between the two batteries if the cpu was a constant. i think people need to reserve judgement until the S4 is in this phone and people have some real world numbers - otherwise it is just speculation that it will be ANY less than awesome (like the Maxx).

expecting a 3300mah battery in this phone may be like expecting a 19 gallon gas tank in a Prius. 19 gallons in a 1967 mustang might be practical, but not so much for a lot of newer cars.

Last edited: