[Rumor] Droid 3 Specs Leaked; Dual-Core CPU, qHD 4-inch Display, No LTE

techRob

Reaction score
i love how people on the engadget site are complaining that if this phone doesnt have 4g theres no way its going to sell or they will even consider buying it. Dont they realize that there are A LOT of us verizon users that dont even have 4g nor are scheduled to receive it for another 1-2 years? Just some food for thought ...

...such as those of us in Montana :)

Sometimes it's a bummer living in the middle of nowhere (Pierson, MI for me)

The sad part...i live in one of the bigger, if not biggest, cities in Montana. Still no arcade tho :icon_evil: ...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why can't Verizon get a kick ass phone with a 4.3 inch screen? (besides the Thunderbolt) My next phone must have a 4.3 inch screen. I don't really care about the 4G but it'd be nice to have it since I do live in a 4G area. I'm thinking about getting the X2 but I played around with the Samsung Infuse on AT&T and it makes me want to wait for something like that on Verizon. That phone is :icon_eek: and it makes me realize that I don't mind a 4.5 inch screen at all. In fact, I almost would prefer a 4.5. I may ditch Verizon if they don't get their act together.

I agree...I tried the Infuse out this weekend. It was pretty cool. Nice design. Same processor as Fascinate though (old tech). But it has more available Ram which is good. I don't know if I like Atts coverage area and internet speeds right now though.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Why can't Verizon get a kick ass phone with a 4.3 inch screen? (besides the Thunderbolt) My next phone must have a 4.3 inch screen. I don't really care about the 4G but it'd be nice to have it since I do live in a 4G area. I'm thinking about getting the X2 but I played around with the Samsung Infuse on AT&T and it makes me want to wait for something like that on Verizon. That phone is :icon_eek: and it makes me realize that I don't mind a 4.5 inch screen at all. In fact, I almost would prefer a 4.5. I may ditch Verizon if they don't get their act together.

I agree...I tried the Infuse out this weekend. It was pretty cool. Nice design. Same processor as Fascinate though (old tech). But it has more available Ram which is good. I don't know if I like Atts coverage area and internet speeds right now though.

Bingo! I was with AT&T/Cingular for 10 years before jumping over to Verizon and I would NEVER go back. It wasn't until I went to Verizon that I realized how horrible their service was. At this point, the only two carriers I would consider are Sprint and the big V.

I had no clue that the Infuse used an older processor. I just assumed it was dual core (didn't do any research before playing with it, obviously). I'm hoping Verizon gets something similar to the Galaxy S2 in the near future. I also like the look of HTC's newest version of Sense (which, isn't out yet). I can't believe I'm saying it, but Vanilla Android is not my number one preference anymore (but being the first to get updates is kind of nice) because the latest vendor skins seem to have additional features that I really like. I like HTC's OS (but they have hardware problems) and Samsung's. I'm not super crazy about Motorola's various versions of Blur which may be why I'm not 100% sold on the DX2. And I loooooove the form factor of Samsung's latest devices (Infuse, Galaxy S2). Give me the form factor of the Infuse with HTC Sense, 4G, dual core, a crapload of RAM and I'd be super geeked.

johnnieeve

Reaction score
What is Motorola and Verzion thinking regarding the upcoming Droid 3? Based on the "Leaked" specs, the D3 falls short of being the "WOW" phone most slider Droid users have been looking for. No 4G, and low RAM. Looks like these guys are asking us to pony up 2011 dollars to buy a 2010 phone.

I live part time in both the Greater Seattle and Las Vegas markets, both are up and running 4G. Unless the leaked specs are totally wrong, I'll wait and see what other phones Verizon will offer, or what other carriers are selling for that matter.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Bingo! I was with AT&T/Cingular for 10 years before jumping over to Verizon and I would NEVER go back. It wasn't until I went to Verizon that I realized how horrible their service was. At this point, the only two carriers I would consider are Sprint and the big V.

I had no clue that the Infuse used an older processor. I just assumed it was dual core (didn't do any research before playing with it, obviously). I'm hoping Verizon gets something similar to the Galaxy S2 in the near future. I also like the look of HTC's newest version of Sense (which, isn't out yet). I can't believe I'm saying it, but Vanilla Android is not my number one preference anymore (but being the first to get updates is kind of nice) because the latest vendor skins seem to have additional features that I really like. I like HTC's OS (but they have hardware problems) and Samsung's. I'm not super crazy about Motorola's various versions of Blur which may be why I'm not 100% sold on the DX2. And I loooooove the form factor of Samsung's latest devices (Infuse, Galaxy S2). Give me the form factor of the Infuse with HTC Sense, 4G, dual core, a crapload of RAM and I'd be super geeked.

Yes I am not going with ATT after reading this It's Official, there is no AT&T 4G - AT&T Community Support

Also I was wrong about the Infuse it has a 1200 mhz processor but it is still single core. It's not a bad phone, too bad it is on ATT and not VZW as 4g. I also like HTC and Samsung skins over ASOP. I dislike the look of Android ASOP Gingerbread very much, it also does offer things like friends widget, etc.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i love how people on the engadget site are complaining that if this phone doesnt have 4g theres no way its going to sell or they will even consider buying it. Dont they realize that there are A LOT of us verizon users that dont even have 4g nor are scheduled to receive it for another 1-2 years? Just some food for thought ...

This is supposed to be a top of the like flagship phone correct? I find it unacceptable that a flagship phone at this point, or even better at the point the D3 will be released, could be released without 4G. Basicallyu if it doesnt have 4G its not a flagship device.

Aside from the internal specs the only things I really care about with the Droid 3 is an unlocked bootloader and motoBlur. I don't want motoblur but if the bootloader is unlocked then ROMs can be developed that have motoblur stripped out. I'm not liking the silver/chrome look around the LCD only because it looks too much like the (pre-iPhone 4) iPhones. But that's just cosmetic and probably wouldn't matter since I'd be likely to use a snap-on case with it. LTE doesn't matter to me since I don't plan to use this phone on Verizon. Can't wait until the Droid 3 is officially released dancedroid
Yeah I wouldnt hold your breath on the unlocked bootloader thing, all we can hope is someone figures how to root in anyway lol.

Dear Verizon and Motorola,

I've had an available update for two months now. At first I was waiting for the Bionic but...

So could you guys explain to my why the hell I should use the upgrade on a 3G phone when I live in a 4G area?

Sign me,

Just Curious

Exactly
its been stated alot of times that 4g isnt nationwide yet, 3g is..so if they were to make it 4g most ppl wouldnt be able to take advantage of it...and i dont see verizon releasing JUST 4g phones for a few more years

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
its been stated alot of times that 4g isnt nationwide yet, 3g is..so if they were to make it 4g most ppl wouldnt be able to take advantage of it...and i dont see verizon releasing JUST 4g phones for a few more years

Agreed. And add onto that the issues they've had with LTE phones along with the LTE network issues, and Verizon would have a customer service and customer satisfaction nightmare on their hands if they only released LTE phones. It's a new technology that's nowhere close to being mature yet. Early adopters, like the people on sites such as this, know there will be kinks going in and expect them. But the general public expect something that works as perfectly as possible right away. It's a smarter move to continue releasing 3G-only phones that are likely to be popular and give LTE time to mature.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Agreed. And add onto that the issues they've had with LTE phones along with the LTE network issues, and Verizon would have a customer service and customer satisfaction nightmare on their hands if they only released LTE phones. It's a new technology that's nowhere close to being mature yet. Early adopters, like the people on sites such as this, know there will be kinks going in and expect them. But the general public expect something that works as perfectly as possible right away. It's a smarter move to continue releasing 3G-only phones that are likely to be popular and give LTE time to mature.
nice way of puttin it. 3g took forever to make it nationwide. i know of towns that just barely got 3g in their area. give 4g some time. in the meantime, enjoy WORKING 3g phones dancedroid

etx_droid

Reaction score
While you guys gripe and complain about the lack of LTE phones, the D3 will probably be my next phone. The specs (minus the RAM which hopefully will be upped) seem great to me and when LTE is up in going in a year, or two, or three, to it's full potential, I'll use another upgrade to get the D14!

LTE is young, but the way Verizon is doing it is the best way. Why rush into a disaster?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guarantee vzws 4g will be almost fully functional by q1 of 2011...at least for people on the east coast here. They are concentrating on thier network more than they are on phones right now.

Sent from my fascinate

Zecpull

Reaction score
3g is still plenty Fast for most Phones in my area... But then I still remember Dial up. For the size of most Phone files 3g is fast. and if not I hit my Wifi.. I love my Droid X2.. It is so much clearer on the graphics. Sounds like the Droid 3 will be a copy of the Droid X2 but with a qwerty keyboard.
People were saying the Droid X2 wouldn't sell... but it is on Backorder at most online sites.

majinbuu

Reaction score
we are coming close to a tech convergence between desktops/notebook and mobile phones, the droid 3 is an example of how powerful they are becoming, and once the holographic monitor is available the pc will fade away.

loki993

Reaction score

This is supposed to be a top of the like flagship phone correct? I find it unacceptable that a flagship phone at this point, or even better at the point the D3 will be released, could be released without 4G. Basicallyu if it doesnt have 4G its not a flagship device.

Yeah I wouldnt hold your breath on the unlocked bootloader thing, all we can hope is someone figures how to root in anyway lol.

Dear Verizon and Motorola,

I've had an available update for two months now. At first I was waiting for the Bionic but...

So could you guys explain to my why the hell I should use the upgrade on a 3G phone when I live in a 4G area?

Sign me,

Just Curious

Exactly

Im not sayig they should only release 4g phones. Im saying they should not release a phone that they will be claiming as a top tier flagship model without 4G. Bottom line is as far as Im concerned any phone without 4g is a middle tier phone. Theyre going to probably want $200+ for that phone. I wouldnt pay $200+ for that phone if it didnt have 4g. I would pay $200+ for the Tbolt and it DOES have 4G.

Veizon claims they will have 145 markets running but the end of this year. 2/3s coverage but mid 2012 and the entire network but the end of 2013. There doesnt seem to be any reason to think these claims are not accurate as it does seem like they are expanding the network quite aggressivly. Needless to say by this time next year, most people will probally have 4g access. A great deal will probally have access by the end if this year if theyre near a major metro area. If the stick to the plan at least. With a 2 year contract you would ahve 4g access at some point. Why not futureproof yourself. So again I guess I just dont understand why they would release a phone like that without 4G, it doesnt make any sense to me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Im not sayig they should only release 4g phones. Im saying they should not release a phone that they will be claiming as a top tier flagship model without 4G. Bottom line is as far as Im concerned any phone without 4g is a middle tier phone. Theyre going to probably want $200+ for that phone. I wouldnt pay $200+ for that phone if it didnt have 4g. I would pay $200+ for the Tbolt and it DOES have 4G.

Veizon claims they will have 145 markets running but the end of this year. 2/3s coverage but mid 2012 and the entire network but the end of 2013. There doesnt seem to be any reason to think these claims are not accurate as it does seem like they are expanding the network quite aggressivly. Needless to say by this time next year, most people will probally have 4g access. A great deal will probally have access by the end if this year if theyre near a major metro area. If the stick to the plan at least. With a 2 year contract you would ahve 4g access at some point. Why not futureproof yourself. So again I guess I just dont understand why they would release a phone like that without 4G, it doesnt make any sense to me.

Who said the Droid 3 is going to be considered a top tier flagship model? It hasn't even been announced, so no one knows how they'll market it. The Droid 2 certainly wasn't pushed as a flagship model. It was released a month after the Droid X with virtually no advertising whatsoever. What 3G phones has Verizon been really pushing as of late as flagship models anyway? All of the commercials and advertising I see are for the Thunderbolt and the Charge right now.

LTE still has a lot of kinks to be worked out. Most people around here realize that, but the general public wants something that works well right out of the box. They don't want to have to worry about major battery issues, inconsistent 4G connections, or even getting a 4G connection at all. So what if most people have access to 4G within a year? Most people care about what works right now, and LTE won't work for most people right now. We often forget that people on these and similar forums represent a tiny fraction of cell phone customers. Verizon has to cater to everyone, especially the bulk of their customers. The bulk of their customers want something that works well now. That's the reason they're still releasing good 3G phones.