[Rumor] 3 New Android Phones for VZW in May: Droid X2, LG Revolution, Sony XperiaPlay

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually my big concern will be with pricing structure. If the tiered data pricing comes soon I will take a less powerful 4g phone to stay on $30 data plan

Kind of leaning that way, as well. But moreso because my upgrade isn't for 6 months and I'm tired of my underpowered Droid.

I only use about 1gig of data a month. Even then, it will take a LONG time to recover your money if you pay retail just to lock-in unlimited/$30 data.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I know while some are licking their chops for the first dual core phone... I still think its worth the wait for 4g/dual core.

Its like making a slammin 3/4lb cheeseburger and NOT putting bacon on it.

Ha, ha. I don't agree either given the issues that are still being worked out with LTE (maybe the bacon is a bit undercooked?), but nice analogy.

AstroBoy

Reaction score
Man now things are getting tough for me.... I've got a BB Storm II and my NE2 is up on the 17th. I live in an LTE area (Orange County CA).

I was looking at the TB, then the Charge came out with that beautiful screen, but low benchmarks. I've also had my eye on the Bionic and the LG Revolution. Bionic is in limbo, So that is out.

Droid X2 looks nice, (I almost went for an X), but I need to be able to talk and get on-line at the same time. X2 can't do that. :(

I'd love a dual core, but if the performance is there form a single core I guess I'll go that way.

I guess I'll wait until next week and see what doesn't ship then.

Reaction score
Man now things are getting tough for me.... I've got a BB Storm II and my NE2 is up on the 17th. I live in an LTE area (Orange County CA).

I was looking at the TB, then the Charge came out with that beautiful screen, but low benchmarks. I've also had my eye on the Bionic and the LG Revolution. Bionic is in limbo, So that is out.

Droid X2 looks nice, (I almost went for an X), but I need to be able to talk and get on-line at the same time. X2 can't do that. :(

I'd love a dual core, but if the performance is there form a single core I guess I'll go that way.

I guess I'll wait until next week and see what doesn't ship then.

SILENCE!!

Wait for the bionic. Youre statements say you REALLY want both dual core and LTE... youre gonna get whichever 3g phone you choose, then two maybe three months from now youre gonna be so pissed off you didnt wait.

portermac

Reaction score
I agree, I'm gonna wait for the bionic, targa or what ever they will call it. I'm not gonna be one that is kicking himself for not waiting again for the perfect phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Droid-Life posted this: Verizon Spring/Summer Guide Doesn’t Mention DROIDX2 or Bionic - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog and the DX2 is NOT listed in the Spring/Summer Verizon guide.

It's probably because all of those phones have in one or way or another been announced, and the Droid X2 hasn't? And all of the new, yet to be released phones are not replacements for a current device like the X2 is. Only the Incredible 2 is a replacement, but it was announced before this catalog first popped up a week or so ago. They still want to sell some of the Droid X if they have it stock, so why advertise that a new version is coming?

The fact that the Droid X2 and the Droid 3 aren't in there doesn't mean a thing. And the fact that the Bionic isn't there just goes to show that they're still not sure of the release date.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know I have to admit.....I love my D2 and am trying to hold out for the D3 but the X2 is making this very difficult the more and more I read on it.

AstroBoy

Reaction score
SILENCE!!

Wait for the bionic. Youre statements say you REALLY want both dual core and LTE... youre gonna get whichever 3g phone you choose, then two maybe three months from now youre gonna be so pissed off you didnt wait.

LTE is more important to me than dual core. while I'd like it, if it is not available it won't kill me. I'm not really planning on 3G, but if that is the best phone for my needs....

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah I would wait too.....skip the Bionic and get the Targa....uh....I mean Droid 3.....that's what I am doing....I think so anyway...this dang Droid X 2 is getting in my head.

pizza3

Reaction score
Cuando, Cuando, Cuando?

Pardon my mexican but I'm getting a little suspicious that we might not see the X2 any too soon. There is one tea leaf that would convince me is VZW giving away the current model. Heck, its still going for a yard and a half. To make it worse they recently doubled the used model to a benjamin. Also, look at what they did with the Charge. It has already been delayed 3 weeks with no telling when (cuando).
To quote from PocketNow.com, on May 8,who after setting forth the latest iteration of the specs (1gh, not 1.2) set forth the following, either blissfully ignoring the current rumor of May 12(this Thurs) or unaware of it at all, and speculated,

"" ""With the X2 already showing up in Verizon's system along with those of third party retailers, we expect a launch within the next month (perhaps as soon as next week), as well as a price point below $200. "" ""

The next month? I woulda thought that if it were coming out in 3 days we woulda seen or heard something. Heck, they're still taking preorders for the Charge for almost 3 weeks. On the other hand it seems to avoid a lot of the potential problems by being a 3Ger. I wouldn't be surprised if it just didn't happen this week.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Pardon my mexican but I'm getting a little suspicious that we might not see the X2 any too soon. There is one tea leaf that would convince me is VZW giving away the current model. Heck, its still going for a yard and a half. To make it worse they recently doubled the used model to a benjamin. Also, look at what they did with the Charge. It has already been delayed 3 weeks with no telling when (cuando).
To quote from PocketNow.com, on May 8,who after setting forth the latest iteration of the specs (1gh, not 1.2) set forth the following, either blissfully ignoring the current rumor of May 12(this Thurs) or unaware of it at all, and speculated,

"" ""With the X2 already showing up in Verizon's system along with those of third party retailers, we expect a launch within the next month (perhaps as soon as next week), as well as a price point below $200. "" ""

The next month? I woulda thought that if it were coming out in 3 days we woulda seen or heard something. Heck, they're still taking preorders for the Charge for almost 3 weeks. On the other hand it seems to avoid a lot of the potential problems by being a 3Ger. I wouldn't be surprised if it just didn't happen this week.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't drop this week either, but the Charge and the X2 are two completely different release situations. The Charge is a brand new phone that isn't replacing a current phone, so announcing it and taking preorders is a little easier. The X2 however is replacing a current phone, and it's replacing a current phone that they're still trying to sell their current stock of. Next to no one would buy the X at current prices if they know that the X2 is definitely about to be released, and Verizon wants to try to milk as much cash as they can out of what's left of the X.

pizza3

Reaction score
Where is my x-squared?

Its almost 4 a.m.EDT and there is no Droid X2. Not even a hint of it at the VZW site. I feel like the kid who wakes up on Christmas morning to find nothing. Just to feed my desperation more one pundit site said that the X2 is already at Costco in terms of dummy models available at the cell phone kiosk. Their website shows only the "old" X on sale for $49. I guess we still have 20 hours left in May 12 but I'm not optimistic. I recall my momma telling me, "Those who don't know are talking and those who know don't talk." She really knew the cell phone business. When is it coming out? My answer is - It will come out when it comes out. Unless you hear it from Mr. Motorola himself it is about as accurate as a stopped clock. With enough pronouncements someone is bound to be right. I am packing up my tent in front of the VZW store and heading home to patiently wait while I get on with my life.

bigmarv11

Reaction score
I went to the verizon store nearby here in Austin, TX and a guy with a Droid X told me they should have a few new 4g android phones by the end of the year, including at least one Motorola. Can't remember if it was X2 or some other name, but there is one coming. I laughed when he said a new VZW iPhone was coming out too, "come on man, you see the phone in my hand??? You think ima use a Droid1 and go down to an iPhone... have you lost your mind!?" We got a good laugh outa that.

I figure if there are new androids coming, they will probably more than one with a powerfull processor as well as 4g and HD screens, you see how fast tech is improving, with the new "3D" transistors Intel has developed, phones are just going to become faster and more powerful. I bet by 2015 we'll be laughing at how slow and useless these phones are by comparison, remember sidekicks? No? Me neither lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Lonenut

Reaction score
Argh. After finding these forums I held off on just getting a new Droid 2, because I thought the intel here was right.

The fact that engadget has nothing on new phone releases today should have tipped me off, though, this is the only site where I've seen today as the day for the X2 and new LG.