rooting with motochopper - there is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot instal

rastaman1201

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a noob to this whole thing. I just tried to root my Verizon RAZR Maxx HD with motochopper and when I tried to load Super User I got this message, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

I have a Verizon RAZR Maxx HD and used Motochopper to try and root my phone.

How do I install, reinstall or update SU binary?

Another question, since I ran motochopper and it didnt seem to work, has anything been changed on the phone? If not I can still return it.

Thanks

Last edited:

4low4fun

Reaction score
What version of android are you running? Go to system/about phone.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a noob to this whole thing. I just tried to root my Verizon RAZR Maxx HD with motochopper and when I tried to load Super User I got this message, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

I have a Verizon RAZR Maxx HD and used Motochopper to try and root my phone.

How do I install, reinstall or update SU binary?

Another question, since I ran motochopper and it didnt seem to work, has anything been changed on the phone? If not I can still return it.

Thanks
If you accepted and installed the latest Over The Air (OTA) update then there is no know way to root your HD at this time. The update to 9.20.1 closed the ability to root and unlock the bootloader.

OP
R

rastaman1201

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the response.

The system version is 9.18.79, android version 4.1.2.

Thanks

OP
R

rastaman1201

Reaction score
I have download the DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.21, and I am planning to try and flash it. This appears to be what I need. If not please advise on the best tried and true method.

Thanks for your time.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks I will give it a try. Does my phone need to be rooted to unlock it?

Thanks
Yes, you must have root before you can unlock. Make sure you have USB Debugging selected, you're phone is in AP Fastboot before you try to run the utility (Power off phone>hold down power, volume up and down>after you get a black screen with white lettering page down using the volume down key to AP Fastboot and select with the power button> phone connected to your PC>run the utility (option 1 or 2, I can't remember).

OP
R

rastaman1201

Reaction score
Yes, you must have root before you can unlock. Make sure you have USB Debugging selected, you're phone is in AP Fastboot before you try to run the utility (Power off phone>hold down power, volume up and down>after you get a black screen with white lettering page down using the volume down key to AP Fastboot and select with the power button> phone connected to your PC>run the utility (option 1 or 2, I can't remember).

Ok, I got it rooted, but the instructions didnt say anything about putting the phone into AP Fastboot mode. I just plugged in my phone and ran the utility and it worked! Supersu works and root validator says that the phone is rooted!

But here is the new problem, I ran Dan Rosenburgs utility to unlock my phone, and it didnt work.
Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

My phone is in USB debugging, supersu is working on it, Ive installed the USB drivers from the website, ran the program and it appeared that it worked but my phone says that it is still locked? I don't know if my android version 4.1.2 or my system version 9.18.79 is the problem or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

OP
R

rastaman1201

Reaction score
Ok, I got it rooted, but the instructions didnt say anything about putting the phone into AP Fastboot mode. I just plugged in my phone and ran the utility and it worked! Supersu works and root validator says that the phone is rooted!

But here is the new problem, I ran Dan Rosenburgs utility to unlock my phone, and it didnt work.

My phone is in USB debugging, supersu is working on it, Ive installed the USB drivers from the website, ran the program and it appeared that it worked but my phone says that it is still locked? I don't know if my android version 4.1.2 or my system version 9.18.79 is the problem or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

During the install while using Dan's tool it states "trustzone write fail: -11" Any idea what that means?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ok, glad you got it rooted. I haven't used Matt's utility for quite awhile since unlocking and rooting my HD months ago. I guess he's updated the utility to automatically put your phone in AP Fastboot...that good.

I've done some research for you. The 9.18.79 system version you have will not allow you to unlock the boatloader. The last version that could be bootloader unlocked was 9.16 system version. The update to 9.18 patched the security hole that allowed bootloader unlock. Sorry for the bad news. The bright spot however is that you have root. Consider yourself lucky. User's with the latest version can't even root.

I'm not recommending this, and would recommend you PM Matt G (developer of the Razr Utility) and ask him if what I am suggesting would work before trying. Since you are on 4.1.2 rooted you may be able to flash back to 4.1.1 with the Razr Utility 1.20 (I think that's the right version). That would also put system version 9.16.XX on your phone. From there you can root 4.1.1, protect root with Rootkeeper and take the OTA update to 4.1.2 from verizon. Once on 4.1.2 you could root and unlock the bootloader with the utility you have. I say again, PM Matt and see if this works. One other way to find out is to go here and ask the question: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/forum/100-vzw-droid-razrrazr-maxx-hd-general-xt926-qa-discussion/. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
R

rastaman1201

Reaction score
Ok, glad you got it rooted. I haven't used Matt's utility for quite awhile since unlocking and rooting my HD months ago. I guess he's updated the utility to automatically put your phone in AP Fastboot...that good.

I've done some research for you. The 9.18.79 system version you have will not allow you to unlock the boatloader. The last version that could be bootloader unlocked was 9.16 system version. The update to 9.18 patched the security hole that allowed bootloader unlock. Sorry for the bad news. The bright spot however is that you have root. Consider yourself lucky. User's with the latest version can't even root.

I'm not recommending this, and would recommend you PM Matt G (developer of the Razr Utility) and ask him if what I am suggesting would work before trying. Since you are on 4.1.2 rooted you may be able to flash back to 4.1.1 with the Razr Utility 1.20 (I think that's the right version). That would also put system version 9.16.XX on your phone. From there you can root 4.1.1, protect root with Rootkeeper and take the OTA update to 4.1.2 from verizon. Once on 4.1.2 you could root and unlock the bootloader with the utility you have. I say again, PM Matt and see if this works. One other way to find out is to go here and ask the question: VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com. Hope this helps.

That sucks! Ok I will send Matt an email about it. Not sure if I want to try that because I havent bought the phone off my brother yet, and I dont want it if I cant unlock it, but if I brick it I bought it.
Have you seen this method for unlocking a phone using CMDA workshop? [video=youtube;b7-Kbm1_enM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7-Kbm1_enM[/video]
This guy supposedly unlocked his phone using CDMA and he has the exact same phone that I have. What do you think about his method?

thanks for your help!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
That sucks! Ok I will send Matt an email about it. Not sure if I want to try that because I havent bought the phone off my brother yet, and I dont want it if I cant unlock it, but if I brick it I bought it.
Have you seen this method for unlocking a phone using CMDA workshop? [video=youtube;b7-Kbm1_enM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7-Kbm1_enM[/video]
This guy supposedly unlocked his phone using CDMA and he has the exact same phone that I have. What do you think about his method?

thanks for your help!
I've never heard of it or have seen or heard any of the developers on Droidrzr or any other forum refer or mention it. I'd be cautious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4