Rooting Thunderbolt - What happens to future firmware updates?

idrinkbleach

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm considering rooting my HTC Thunderbolt but I'm a bit concerned about future firmware updates. If any update is put out weather it's a big update or just a small one would I have to unroot the phone or could I just update it and go on as usual?

Thanks!

phreek

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm considering rooting my HTC Thunderbolt but I'm a bit concerned about future firmware updates. If any update is put out weather it's a big update or just a small one would I have to unroot the phone or could I just update it and go on as usual?

Thanks!

Most roms block OTA updates, you should concider checking them out. I like the das bamf stripped rom, it gets rid of most of sense and all of verizon's bloatware.

OP
I

idrinkbleach

Reaction score
Most roms block OTA updates, you should concider checking them out. I like the das bamf stripped rom, it gets rid of most of sense and all of verizon's bloatware.

Are these non stock roms safe? Also, if I wanted to jump between one rom and a second how could I transfer my data? Is this possible?

I know the initial root will wipe my data but after this if I wanted to upgrade would my stuff be effected then too?

Last edited:

Kid A

Reaction score
Are these non stock roms safe? Also, if I wanted to jump between one rom and a second how could I transfer my data? Is this possible?

I know the initial root will wipe my data but after this if I wanted to upgrade would my stuff be effected then too?

It depends on the rom you download. Obviously all developers aim to create stable roms but some are more experimental than others. This is why there's a wide variety of roms out there. For example, I rooted simply so I could remove Verizon's bloatware and and download roms with potential fixes for some of my phone's problems, like GPS locking and so on. I like to keep things mostly stock, but obviously the choice is yours and there are a lot of great options out there.

Usually when you're moving from custom rom to custom rom, a data wipe is required. However, there are many backup apps you can download from the Market that save your apps and contacts. These are very helpful :)

Happy rooting!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

It depends on the rom you download. Obviously all developers aim to create stable roms but some are more experimental than others. This is why there's a wide variety of roms out there. For example, I rooted simply so I could remove Verizon's bloatware and and download roms with potential fixes for some of my phone's problems, like GPS locking and so on. I like to keep things mostly stock, but obviously the choice is yours and there are a lot of great options out there.

Usually when you're moving from custom rom to custom rom, a data wipe is required. However, there are many backup apps you can download from the Market that save your apps and contacts. These are very helpful :)

Happy rooting!

+1

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
I

idrinkbleach

Reaction score

Happy rooting!
Thanks again for all the info. I'm new to androids and rooting so any help is greatly appreciated.

Jacob9424

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Once you root you should never need to unroot. Your radio version can just be updated from leaks or official releases that have been modified to work on rooted phones. Anything else that Verizon or HTC change can just be put into the ROM developers next update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

phreek

Reaction score
I would recommend one of the dasbamf roms until cm7 is officially released.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

craigboy

Reaction score

Happy rooting!

This is exactly right

I would recommend Titanium Backup, it's a very nice app that lets you completely save and re-install all your data every time you flash a new ROM