Rooting the Fascinate Regardless of OS Version

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
This was written up by OMJ over at Android Forums on 1/14/10...all credit goes to him...just re-posting here to help everyone out....

Original link: Rooting the Fascinate Regardless of OS Version - Android Forums

icon1.gif
Rooting the Fascinate Regardless of OS Version
This is only for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate do not use for any other phone

As always myself, android forums and anyone else are not responsible for what you do to your phone.

This instructions are for windows only at this point. I may put together instructions for linux later on

That being said if you don’t follow this instructions closely and mess around with settings in Odin you could brick your phone. Whatever you do in odin always use the pda button to select files never use the phone button.

*Credit to Adrynalyne for the cwmrecovery file and the modified superuser zip
*Credit to Koush for the update.zip

Download the following
Samsung Drivers
Odin
CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5
Update.zip
su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip

1.) Install the Samsung Drivers
2.) Place Odin3 v1.3.exe and CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5 in the same folder on your pc
3.) Place the update.zip and su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip in the root of your sdcard (root means not in any folder just on the sdcard)
4.) Put your phone in download mode by taking out the battery. Then hold the volume down button while plugging it into the usb cable attached to your computer
5.) Open Odin
6.) This is very very important ***Don’t touch any settings in odin only use the pda button and start button***
7.) Im going to say that again just for emphasis Don’t touch any settings and only use the pda and start buttons. Using the phone button to flash tar files will leave you with a brick

8.) So press the pda button then select CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5
9.) Press start (Note this will reboot your phone when complete)
10.) Once your phone has booted up and you know everything is still good, power the phone off.
11.) Power the phone on while holding the entire volume button down. Let go of the power button when the Samsung logo shows but keep holding the whole volume button.
12.) This will boot you into the stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to move down to apply sdcard:update.zip then press the home key
13.) After it applies you will be in clockworkmod recovery
14.) Use the volume rocker to navigate to install zip from sdcard. This time though you will use the back key to select. (I know it is annoying that there are two different select keys but get used to it)
15.) Navigate down and select choose zip from sdcard
16.) Navigate to su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip press back to select it
17.) Navigate down and select Yes – Install su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip
18.) Once that is done press the search button to go back a menu
19.) Then select reboot system now
20.) Congrats you are now rooted :)

drew823

Reaction score
this will work with my wife's STOCK Fascinate with DL09 update installed? I really want to root her phone to put froyo or hopefully soon a gingerbread rom on it but, i have never messed with any of the samsung phones! I rooted my droid 1 and my droid x but that's the extent of my knowledge!

Matt F.

Reaction score
Couple of newbie questions before I attempt this.

1. Will this give a modified version of DL09 or the stock version?
2. Will I have to use a different kernel than what I have now with the stock OTA DL09?
3. I went over to the xda forum where this originated and I see some people having troubles, so is this really idiot proof for a noob like me?

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
Couple of newbie questions before I attempt this.

1. Will this give a modified version of DL09 or the stock version?
2. Will I have to use a different kernel than what I have now with the stock OTA DL09?
3. I went over to the xda forum where this originated and I see some people having troubles, so is this really idiot proof for a noob like me?
i would go ahead and root your DL09, if you have probs you can ODIN back to DJ05, reroot with Z4Mod app, flash CWM Recovery through ODIN and make a backup, then you can install whatever Rom you want

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
I've done this step by step 4 times... and when I get apply sdcard:update.zip I get the following message:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Thoughts?

vmax76

Reaction score
I am getting the same error messages! should we try doing a factory wipe/reset??