Rooting the Droid X?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe they just like US more ... (pun intended) ... or are there any smartphones over there released with no lockdown from OEM's ?

BzB

Reaction score
i've heard the droid x won't be rooted anytime soon due to the boot-loader. and if it does get rooted it's going to be handicapped due to the way moto is using the "blur" overlay on the phone.

if true this kind of sucks because from all the reviews so far the droid x seems to be kind of laggy despite the big processor. cnet and engagdet and zdnet all say the droid x should be the fastest phone out, but it's actually slower in real life use than phones like the nexus and the incredible. things like switching screens and ui lag were apparent in even some of the youtube vids.

hope they go a different direction with the droid pro and leave their blur crap or whatever they want to call it off that phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just read from a person getting ready to review the X saying either before or sometime after its released it will get some kind of software update. (It says 9 homescreens on Motorola site. the reviewer says it has 7)

I remember reading Motorola or Verizon saying the X didnt have the final software on it yet too. Maybe they are reading the reviews and will tweak stuff, who knows. But if Blur is the reason for the lag.....give me Launcher Pro or ADW and call it a day....Those 2 changed my Droid's scrolling experience alot.

sic0048

Reaction score
i've heard the droid x won't be rooted anytime soon due to the boot-loader.

You don't need the bootloader cracked to root the device. Just look at the Moto Milestone. It's bootloader is digitally signed by Motorola and it has not be cracked - but it has been rooted for months now. The concern is that Moto digitally signed the bootloader for the Droid X as well. But even if that turns out to be true (and I think it will), the phone should still hopefully be rooted sooner rather than later.

Root allows you access to the low level functions of the phone and OS and allows to do do things like add unauthorized programs, overclock, tether, etc, etc, et.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you guys say moto doesnt care about locking the phone down, that maybe true but look at the nexus one. it came pretty much unlocked. so to compare that would mean htc doesnt care about rooting. then look at the incredible and how long its taken to get root. i guess my point is that its not the phone developers that care. its vzw and they want their phones locked down. vzw is apple in the carrier world. they want to have control over everything it will get hacked if man made it man can cracked but it will not be as quick as the droid nor be as full a root. ie meaning hboot unlock. sorry to say but all x users including myself will be waiting awhile.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Can't compare nexus 1 to moto and htc. Google doesn't care about rooting, moto probably doesn't, I'm sure the lockdown comes from the carrier. They have the liability so that's where the issue is. If rooting didn't void your warranty they would lose tons on hacked phones being traded in for one reason or another.

Sent from my Droid

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can't compare nexus 1 to moto and htc. Google doesn't care about rooting, moto probably doesn't, I'm sure the lockdown comes from the carrier. They have the liability so that's where the issue is. If rooting didn't void your warranty they would lose tons on hacked phones being traded in for one reason or another.

Sent from my Droid
thats basically what i was trying to say. vzw will lock it as tight as they can

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
so hopeful Droid X will let us to add custom ROM like sense UI

Very unlikely considering the X is made by Moto, but even it someone was able to do it, it likely would have quite a few bugs. It was already tried on the Droid and it never really got finished..

sic0048

Reaction score
Can't compare nexus 1 to moto and htc. Google doesn't care about rooting, moto probably doesn't, I'm sure the lockdown comes from the carrier.

While I am sure the carriers don't want "unlocked" bootloaders, the digitally signed bootloader is distinctively Motorola. Other manufactures don't sell completely open bootloaders, but they also don't have a digitally signed encryption code either. All this on Verizon too.

So Verizon clearly wants locked bootloaders, but it is Motorola, not Verizon, that takes it to the next level by digitally signing their bootloaders.

rolandct

Reaction score
Not knowing how the timing went on the previous phones (being new to Android) I have a question. Will this likely be determined before 7/15 whether the loader is locked/signed? Just because it will affect my desire to get one on day one.

I coming from WinMo and even though I am sure the stock will be better than what I am used to, I have the need to mod my phone.

rolandct

Reaction score
I just read from a person getting ready to review the X saying either before or sometime after its released it will get some kind of software update. (It says 9 homescreens on Motorola site. the reviewer says it has 7)

I remember reading Motorola or Verizon saying the X didnt have the final software on it yet too. Maybe they are reading the reviews and will tweak stuff, who knows. But if Blur is the reason for the lag.....give me Launcher Pro or ADW and call it a day....Those 2 changed my Droid's scrolling experience alot.

From reading all the reviews there is no Blur, just Moto Widgets.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not knowing how the timing went on the previous phones (being new to Android) I have a question. Will this likely be determined before 7/15 whether the loader is locked/signed? Just because it will affect my desire to get one on day one.

I coming from WinMo and even though I am sure the stock will be better than what I am used to, I have the need to mod my phone.

not sure there are few with the phone now. so id say google the ish out of it

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
The current pre-release software has a signed bootloader. Somebody posted a dump of it a few days ago. That's the entire reason this is such a big problem.

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
Some notes to previous post:
- Milestone is rooted due to exploit in the recovery and Custom ROMS, when the 2nd boot is fully working (no modem and USB now) will require root. This is not available on phones such as Motoroi and Droid X. So if bootloader enforces secure boot then a completely new hack is to be found.
- Chinese Android (and their derivation OPhone OS) have several models unsigned (XT701)