rooting rezound

stemo

Reaction score
I've rooted and rom'd a droid 1 and LG ally. I'm considering rooting my rezound and wanted some insight as to the benefits and the difficulty of rooting the rezound.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
There are detailed instructions online, and if you follow them, it is not difficult. The easiest way is to just unlock then install a ROM that is already rooted.

I am rooted, but I have not seen any massive benefits beyond getting rid of some bloat. You cannot reliably disable Sense (believe me I've tried). There are some apps here or there, but other than that, I have not seen a huge difference.

The Rezound is not likely to get an official version of Jellybean...there might be JB ROMS available but they will never really be stable because there is no source to base it on. So if JB is the reason you want to root, I would not hold your breath.

acejavelin

Reaction score
JeffDenver is correct, it is not difficult but it is a bit more involved than Samsungs, LGs, or Motorolas... There are several good guides on doing it, our own Mr Smith has written an excellent one that is available in the Rezound Development discussion area.

There are a handful of direct advantages to (stock) rooting that the effects can be significant and seen immediately, the first two that come to mind are the ability to use Wireless Tether (connect other devices like a laptop to your phone to access the Internet wirelessly via the 4G connection of the phone) and to get rid of HTClinkifyDispatcher.apk, which is the app that prevents certain links from opening in the correct/associated apps like YouTube links in the YouTube app, Play Store links in the Play Store app, some map addresses, media, and other stuff that is opened in the browser instead of the specific associated app. You can also just go to the Play Store and search for "root" and you will see all kind of apps that require root access, you may find some of them interesting.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Just read online that some tech is telling people that the Rezound will get JB mid 2013.
Cant find the article to validate that but it was along my morning news. And since it was a tech, its not official.
So eh.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Getting rid of the bloat was reason enough for me to root. Currently running a JB rom, very stable, very freaking fast, and very freaking awesome.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Getting rid of the bloat was reason enough for me to root. Currently running a JB rom, very stable, very freaking fast, and very freaking awesome.
I really need to try one of those JB ROM's... but in the bloat side, I really don't think that is much of an issue anymore with ICS, since you can disable almost everything except Visual Voicemail.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I really need to try one of those JB ROM's... but in the bloat side, I really don't think that is much of an issue anymore with ICS, since you can disable almost everything except Visual Voicemail.

Oh ya, I forgot they gave the freeze option in ics, I rooted back in gb land when bloat was running wild.
Try neo's mean horsey face rom, you won't be disappointed. That is unless you use blue tooth calling.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Oh ya, I forgot they gave the freeze option in ics, I rooted back in gb land when bloat was running wild.
Try neo's mean horsey face rom, you won't be disappointed. That is unless you use blue tooth calling.
Yeah, BlueTooth is the killer for me... I have been watching the Linaro JB ROM, hoping it will get BT working but until it is guess I am stuck with my ice cream... :/

JeffDenver

Reaction score
This is why I have not tried a JB ROM yet:

**PLEASE NOTE** This is a Pre-ION Build. ION is still pretty unstable but will be amazing when it is complete.
The following are known issues and shouldn't be complained about or frequently asked when they are to be fixed:

Bluetooth Calling
Video recording, HD Video, Some streaming video like Netflx, Gtalk or Skype video chat
random system lag issues if any

DO NOT BOTHER Chad0989 WITH THESE ISSUES or any JB related issues for that matter. Keep it in this thread or the JB Bug report. Part of the reason these have taken so long to be allowed release is due to the expected complaints over these known issues. I will not address any comments or questions regarding them. They will be taken care of in their own time as development continues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2070947

All the JB ROMs I have seen have issues like this.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
This is why I'm still on JB

ForumRunner_20130115_162751.png

JeffDenver

Reaction score
This is why I'm still on JB
Which JB ROM is that? Do you have a link?

Does everything work on it? (Camera, Bluetooth, ect)

I'm not being sarcastic...I'd genuinely love to upgrade to a JB ROM.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So basically, the reason I am not going to a JB ROM is because none of them will let you record video. That also means you cannot Skype or use GTalk video.

Also, no bluetooth calling, though that is a lesser concern for me.

No Video is a critical bug. I can't go to JB until that is fixed, if ever.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Just tried out video recording, recorded fine but playback was extremely choppy or just didn't work at all. Hopefully these issues do get fixed in there near future. From what I've read today it sounds like there will be some new releases this week. I'll keep you posted if they fix the deal breakers like video, blue tooth etc. Fortunately for me all the things that are broke are things that I don't use.