Rooting is for the naive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
God this thread is great. And 28 years old? I have boogers older than that.

I was one of the first (or only) people to hack the Commodore Vic 20 - the one with the tape drive and all of the software on cartridges. I figured out the starting machine code of the cartridges and copied to them to the tape and sys'd to run them off the tape.

I ran one of the first ever pre-aol multi-line chat systems in college in 1985. 6 lines could call in and chat with each other - six 300 baud modems sitting on a piece of naked hardware with six telephone lines. People paid $25 a month for it.

I ran BBS's until the internet got here.

And yeah I had a commodore 64 and I pirated a crapload of stuff. Then I moved up to an Amiga and lost my interest (boobs were more interesting).

I'm also a founder of www.toldya.com, check it out.

What I've learned over the ages that when dealing with software from companies is to let them upgrade it. I've been burned way too many times. I have no interest at all in rooting because I don't see the benefit compared to the possible cost. I have everything I need on my Droid with 2.01, and I'm looking forward to the enhancements of 2.1.

But honestly I would be completely fine if it stayed at 2.01 for the 1 or 2 years I'll own it - it does everything I need. Live Wallpapers are cool but they are not necessary.

Now if they dangle an update my way I'll go nuts until I get it - but it's not THAT important. I just have no patience.

Reaction score
To be honest... I'm a coder in training, a CIS major, record producer, avid-video-game player, 21 year old...

And I roam this site... and its kind of pathetic to see how some of you get so panty hurt over this "root", "unroot", "droid", "iphone", etc... stuff. Being passionate about what you do is great, but there comes a point where you just have to understand... all this is just material things.

Like SSH said, boobs were more interesting to him... I think some of you don't even enjoy the wonders of the "outside" world... and girls probably run from you...

Who cares if the original poster called rooters "naive" or whatever... he wasn't personally attacking you... and if he was... who cares then? Its a damn phone forum...

Some of you kids make me think your gems haven't dropped, you are high pitched voiced, scrawny, acne populated, little boys... that don't enjoy the wonders of the real world, their friends, etc... and care way too much about material things.

But if you don't apply to what I mentioned above... you don't have to prove that you don't fit in that category.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, apparently you felt passionate enough about the subject as well, as you posted.

Welcome to the club, glad to have you.

Reaction score
Well, apparently you felt passionate enough about the subject as well, as you posted.

Well, you know what I just found out? I touched a soft spot. Secondly... you misread. Well, I'll add a thirdly... thirdly... yes I'm passionate when kids have no life... it saddens me... by the gods! *just finished GOW3, can't you tell?*

Your turn to respond. I wont. :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Well, you know what I just found out? I touched a soft spot. Secondly... you misread. Well, I'll add a thirdly... thirdly... yes I'm passionate when kids have no life... it saddens me... by the gods! *just finished GOW3, can't you tell?*

Your turn to respond. I wont. :)

Feel free not to respond, as well as in the future not tell me about soft spots you are touching. Its none of my business and I don't want to know about it. :)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be the same guy in this picture:

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

This was awesome...

Yeah, I'm rooted, running some 13 year old kid's OS to push my Droid to 1.2 ghz. It may blow up. Someone might read my text messages or log my gps data. Somebody might even clone my debit card... but damn, my phone is fast. I'll deal with the other stuff if it happens. For now, I'm happy.

- Jim

Yes!

All I can say is one thing. This is probably the stupidest, most idiotic thread that I have ever seen started. In fact I can't believe I'm wasting my time responding to it.

Off my soap box now.

YES!!

:) You just can't fix stupid thats all.

Y E S!!!!!!!!

I rooted and rom'd my droid because it's friggin fun. Not any simpler than that.

Couldn't have said it better.

Feel free not to respond, as well as in the future not tell me about soft spots you are touching. Its none of my business and I don't want to know about it. :)

And yeah...please don't respond anymore Where'sMyCoffe :icon_ banana:

And for that certain percent of users that read this thread and were a little scared when they read the OP, please DISREGARD what the OP said. There is nothing like that you have to worry about. Please just continue enjoying your Droid and making it just that little bit better...everything is OKAY.

Some people really have no clue other than try to start pointless things and negatively effect people with worrisome thoughts...

Last edited:

Grabraham

Reaction score
:icon_ devil: Is this horse dead yet?? If I cant beat it I will poke it with a stick :) I really believe that people who root the phone without understanding what they are doing are more likely to have a rough experience than have a compromised phone. I do recommend reading up on a ROM and doing some sort of due diligence on the provider of the ROM developer/team at least to the point of making sure they are legit and 'respected' in the community. The only documented security threat that I am aware of was a malicious banking app in the market place. Blindly installing apps either from the marketplace or elsewhere is the largest threat to the overall DROID community. You don't need to be rooted to install an app that will beam all the info on your phone to some server in Albania or to unwittingly join your DROID to the collective :) somewhere on here there is a very well written post on the topic... recommended reading for all.

acasto

Reaction score
Wow... I just have to reply because I find this hilarious. I'm 28 also, have pretty much the same experience timeline, though much more when it comes to Linux system administration, and I would never make a post such as this. First of all, 28 is not old. Second off, if you're only 28, just shut up... just shut up and listen. As a young IT professional I run across people like this all the time and it drives me crazy. At this stage in my life my primary goal is to learn and apply what I learn. But of course there is always that twenty-something claiming this and that on anecdotal evidence or something they read on Kotaku.

Though he makes a point, it is merely common sense dressed up as a hacker. Security is a comprehensive process that involves compromises, not a list of Thou Shalt Not's. When it comes to security on the Droid, I just don't store anything sensitive on it. Not because I'm afraid of malicious software from a 13 year-old, but rather because there is a much greater probability some crack head like Tyrone Biggums is going to run up to me and be like, "....I got ya Droid..." and run off. Then the sad truth is, Tyrone doesn't care if your rooted or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the United States of the Offended. Are you guys seriously going to argue over a cell phone and who has more computer experience its like being on an iphone forum. You guys state its okay to have your own opinion, and that was the OP's so let it go. off to work have fun guys

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I am 50 and have been heavily involved in computers since my commodore 64. I don't portend to tell rooters about issues I'm sure they understand, being advanced Droiders to begin with.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Wow... I just have to reply because I find this hilarious. I'm 28 also, have pretty much the same experience timeline, though much more when it comes to Linux system administration, and I would never make a post such as this. First of all, 28 is not old. Second off, if you're only 28, just shut up... just shut up and listen. As a young IT professional I run across people like this all the time and it drives me crazy. At this stage in my life my primary goal is to learn and apply what I learn. But of course there is always that twenty-something claiming this and that on anecdotal evidence or something they read on Kotaku.

Though he makes a point, it is merely common sense dressed up as a hacker. Security is a comprehensive process that involves compromises, not a list of Thou Shalt Not's. When it comes to security on the Droid, I just don't store anything sensitive on it. Not because I'm afraid of malicious software from a 13 year-old, but rather because there is a much greater probability some crack head like Tyrone Biggums is going to run up to me and be like, "....I got ya Droid..." and run off. Then the sad truth is, Tyrone doesn't care if your rooted or not.

Tyrone
LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.