Rooting is for the naive

Status
Not open for further replies.

haythem1992

Reaction score
This thread should be renamed Trip Down Memory Lane for you twenty-eight year old geezers. :)

Droidfish

Reaction score
I have to jump in on this...

I rooted and rom'd my droid because it's friggin fun. Not any simpler than that.

In the same sense that you say rooting is for the naive, I'll say that anyone who's ever used a check card at a gas station is naive. Life is full of risks, calculate them and live your life.

Good discussion.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol @ 28 being old...yes, rooting can be a risk because some 13 year old "crackpot" would cook up a ROM that fries you cpu. But, that 13 year old would be caught so quickly it's not even funny. It would in essence be absolutely idiotic for that 13 year old to do that. Malicious hackers are idiots, but they're also a little smarter than releasing a widely publicized and freely available ROM to the masses in an attempt to destroy phones worldwide. I think they'd be a little less conspicuous. Just a little less.

The risk is there, but for a "crackpot" hacker to do what you're suggesting would be strictly amateur. I'm not worried. At all...

JCo352

Reaction score
The OP was simply stating that if you don't know what you're doing, research it. Then there is people turning it into a pissing contest. WHO CARES.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OP was simply stating that if you don't know what you're doing, research it. Then there is people turning it into a pissing contest. WHO CARES.

Eh, I think it's a healthy discussion...not sure what you've been reading, but ok.

mrdroid

Reaction score

And... if he was "simply stating" that... he wouldn't have named the thread as he did.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting post:icon_eek: some good points a really bad way to start it. but hey what the heck makes for some enjoyable reading..:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: yeah i am rooted, yes i consider risks of frying phone never thought much about credit card info but it not stored on there anyway.. google has it they might find ways to pull it off there don't know.. no i am not a computer genius i like em do i understand all coding.?? nope..do i want to?? nope... do i trust the big 5 or 6 devs that make roms (chevy,pete,blackdroid,adam,droidmod..sure there are more i am missing not meaning to insult anyone)??? yep... 1000s install these roms... they would get caught and they know it so why risk it?? plus news travels quickly especially bad..:icon_ devil:

Droidfish

Reaction score
do i trust the big 5 or 6 devs that make roms (chevy,pete,blackdroid,adam,droidmod..sure there are more i am missing not meaning to insult anyone)??? yep... 1000s install these roms... they would get caught and they know it so why risk it?? plus news travels quickly especially bad..:icon_ devil:

Thank you.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Sounds like you have never rooted.

Like Linux, apps must be granted permission. Thou can giveth permission, and thou can taketh away. those who run it wide open throw caution to the wind, but 99.9% of the rooters out there are not doing that.

I've been using Linux for almost as long as you have been using PCs ;)

Did you read the post. I alluded to the same point. And yes, I rooted and unrooted in quick fashion.

If you unrooted due to being paranoid..... then that's cool for you....

You say you have 15 years experience on computers and your only 28? hmmmm that would be what 1995..... and you were using a 486 box? It looks like you were about 5 years behind then and as well as you are now if you are afraid of an open source os.

Read up on linux and learn what you are afraid of before being afraid please. :)

mjs31

Reaction score
Yeah, as I first mentioned, the title is completely ignorant and takes away from some good points. That being said, anything you allow on to your phone, pc, mac etc has potential to cause damage. It may have been eluded to, but I wonder how many actually read what each app from the market has access to. Being rooted or not has no bearing on that. Common sense is what is needed here. Not only for rooting but everything else. I think naive would be someone thinking that a rooted phone is the only one that can get damaged.

I still will root try new roms. I mean I could stop riding my motorcycle as well because there is a little extra risk, but what fun would that be.

The OP just reminds me of my mom when I was growing up.

Root and be happy people....it is a much more exciting world!!!

zakany

Reaction score
Anyone use a Sperry Univac? Ah, I remember fondly replacing crashed disk platters. They were about 14 inches across. The computer was about the size of 8 Emcor racks and had its own A/C.

Learned FORTRAN on an IBM340 and remember the kit computers (Sinclair's, TI99, etc.). Never did punchcards.

Last edited:

StiKemUp

Reaction score
Everyone and their mom that can install Windows or a Linux distro is all of a sudden a 'computer wiz' these days.

If you are afraid of being rooted or running other peoples' software, then dont. But don't expect to jump on a forum filled with people who come here specifically to modify their Droids and think you will get a few followers since you are a 'go to computer guy'.

Stating an opinion is one thing. Trying to convince others to follow it is rude.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
wow...i can say i read most of the post =]. all i can say is 'eh'. im no programmer/dev but i like how my droid looks and perform after rooting and new rom. i didnt even know what rooting is. i thought i was like i have to add soil to the phone and let it taek 'root'. LOL im just kidding =/ i root cuz i can and want to. if anyone want to track me then its jsut a was of time. i sit in my cube all day long, my bank acct is negative, a homeless guy has been credit score then i do. in my case they might feel sorry for me and give me money instead.

On a serious note : someone pointed out Google, how can you trust them? they have access to our contacts,search queries, what we buy online,googlepay account which we set up using our credit cards/debit cards,our emails etc. Its just becuase they are a big company? like how we trusted the 'big' banks that took all our money and then expect us to bail them out. ok im off my soap box now =]

Status
Not open for further replies.