Rooting droid pro with z4root

massan808

Reaction score
Ok so I understand how easy it is to root droids now with z4root and how many other threads are out there on google talking about it but not many go into specific detail. I'm just looking for some quick answers.

So far I've downloaded z4root 1.3 to the root directory of my sd card and installed it along with wifi tether and setcpu. z4root runs, then i click permanent root, then it says running exploit and then acquiring root shell, then it quits back to the main application list. I know people say it takes many tries to get it to work but I've tried at least a 20 times and its the same thing everytime. What I would like to know is am I doing something wrong or has verizon updated the the OS to not alow this?

here are my specs-
system version : Version.3.8.7.XT610.Verizon.en.US
android version : 2.2.1
baseband : N_01.77.00R
kernel : 2.6.32.9-g43f0589e50256@ca25rhe85#1
build : 3.4.2_80_V@_87
eri : 5
prl : 52341

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Go to settings/applications/development and make sure USB debugging is checked

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
Did that already and I know for a fact it works because I needed it for pdanet usb tethering.

StingRay

Reaction score
The ota update that took place back in April (3.8.7) eliminated the ability to root with z4Root....in order to root 3.8.7 you have to use Aroot, which isn't quite as simple as z4Root...you have to actually install on your PC, then connect your Droid Pro with a USB cable to your PC to root....

You can find a download for the Aroot app on xda by searching the Motorola Atrix forum there....Aroot was originally developed for the Atrix, but also works on the Droid Pro...if I can find a link I will post it back here...

HERE YOU GO:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=981866

Last edited:
OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
Ok I just found out this morning that 2.2.1 doesn't support z4root like you said. So I tried aroot which seemed to work according to my dos prompt but had no effect on the phone I ran the unroot script and it restarted my phone. Are there specific drivers I need or is it plug and play? Also what usb mode should my phone be set to?

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! aroot rooted it well and the superuser icon is in the drawer but now when I run wireless tether it still says I don't have root access. I've reinstalled it but it didnt help. (once I get all this figured out I'll create a tutorial specifically for the Pro since I haven't found one)

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
superuser says no apps in list and under settings it says su binary outdated then it says update and install automatically then gives an error occured and su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip has been placed on sd card but the file is only 1kb in size. what do I do?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Did you happen to install the 3.8.7 update from back in April while your phone was rooted? Pretty much everyone who did that had some problems with their phone, including not being able to fully root or unroot after the update. If you did install that update while your phone was rooted, you'll have to do a SBF flash in order to get root again.

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
Haha I guess I forgot to mention I got the phone a two weeks ago off ebay so I have no clue what it has been through. Can you point me in the direction of a good tutorial for it? Im guessing flashig sbf means I have to go into recovery mode and run an update.zip file?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Haha I guess I forgot to mention I got the phone a two weeks ago off ebay so I have no clue what it has been through. Can you point me in the direction of a good tutorial for it? Im guessing flashig sbf means I have to go into recovery mode and run an update.zip file?

Not quite. It involves connecting to a computer and completely reflashing the phone's software, much in the same way Motorola or Verizon would do it. Everything you need to know, and all of the links you need to do it, are here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/112314-official-droid-pro-sbf-tbh.html

After flashing the SBF, you'll need to install the 3.8.7 update (you'll either get prompted shortly after or you can run the system update). Then use aRoot to root the phone.

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
ok thanks everyone for your time. I'll think about it but it seems more trouble than its worth.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
ok thanks everyone for your time. I'll think about it but it seems more trouble than its worth.

It's actually a very quick and easy process, and one that a majority of folks around here have probably gone through at least once. It's a lifesaver.

OP
M

massan808

Reaction score
Im guessing that procedure will clear my phone of everything? including my phone number?

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Im guessing that procedure will clear my phone of everything? including my phone number?

No, it doesn't erase personal data. You do a factory reset for that. But in the even that everything is lost, you'd just reactivate the phone and Google will resync all of your contacts/apps.