Rooting and ROM ideas

edwards2243

Reaction score
I'm trading my D2 for a DX tomorrow. I'm currently on liberty 2.0.1 ROM, but I'm curious what to do with the DX when I get it. Its already got the GB OTA update, so I'm really not sure of my options. I'll have to get root, but I've been reading conflicting ways to get root: I've heard sbf, then tbh GB..also heard its not possible. Any thoughts?

Sent from my DROID2

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's possible you just need to sbf back to froyo then install the leak as you said. If you don't want to do that, you'll have to wait for root on the ota (which shouldn't take too long)
Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would you trade from a 2 to an X? Basically the same phone. I would get a non Moto phone with an unlocked bootloader.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
E

edwards2243

Reaction score
Why would you trade from a 2 to an X? Basically the same phone. I would get a non Moto phone with an unlocked bootloader.

The simple reason is to try something new. I like motorola, locked bootloader or not, and have been wanting to trade to a DX for a while now. I finally found somebody willing to trade straight up, so I'm going to jump on it.

What's the difference between TBH gingerbread and the OTA version? I might just wait til we have root on the OTA instead of the sbf route...

Sent from my DROID2

turdbogls

Reaction score

the question is Why wouldn't you swap if you had the chance.

to the OP, if you want to ROM/theme, right away you are going ot have to SBF to 2.3.340, root, install D2 bootstrapper, and use the 2 files at mydroidworld.com to get to rooted 596 Gingerbread.

pretty painless and quick to do.

or just wait for root which could be today, or it could be never.

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
Also if your going to try and install a rom on the rooted gb your going to have to use the d2 bootstrap not the dx. I made the mistake of doing that

Sent from my ZombieStomped DROIDX

OP
E

edwards2243

Reaction score
Also if your going to try and install a rom on the rooted gb your going to have to use the d2 bootstrap not the dx. I made the mistake of doing that

Thanks, good to know.

OP
E

edwards2243

Reaction score

the question is Why wouldn't you swap if you had the chance.

to the OP, if you want to ROM/theme, right away you are going ot have to SBF to 2.3.340, root, install D2 bootstrapper, and use the 2 files at mydroidworld.com to get to rooted 596 Gingerbread.

pretty painless and quick to do.

or just wait for root which could be today, or it could be never.

Yeah, when the guy contacted me to swap...I immediately thought it was a no brainer (or the DX was all beat up). I'll report back after we do the swap tonight. The dude has an extra battery and an hdmi cable, which still sounds too good to be true!!!

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, when the guy contacted me to swap...I immediately thought it was a no brainer (or the DX was all beat up). I'll report back after we do the swap tonight. The dude has an extra battery and an hdmi cable, which still sounds too good to be true!!![/QUOTE]

so your trading JUST your phone (plus charger and all the stuff that came in the box) for his x AND extra battery and hdmi cable? That does sound a little to good to be true ha

OP
E

edwards2243

Reaction score
Yeah, when the guy contacted me to swap...I immediately thought it was a no brainer (or the DX was all beat up). I'll report back after we do the swap tonight. The dude has an extra battery and an hdmi cable, which still sounds too good to be true!!![/QUOTE]

so your trading JUST your phone (plus charger and all the stuff that came in the box) for his x AND extra battery and hdmi cable? That does sound a little to good to be true ha

Sent from my ZombieStomped DROIDX[/QUOTE]

I have a car mount and a seido case that i'm throwing in, too.

OP
E

edwards2243

Reaction score
All went as planned...finally have my dx!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk