Favorite DX ROM??

bigjj44

Reaction score
between liberty and darkslide. have used rubix, however, liberty offers more tweeks in my opinion.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
With the right modifications to the system level you can get all the ROMs to perform nearly identical. If you edit your sysctl.conf, your build.prop, overclock and undervolt, your device will be blazing fast and you will realize that ROM selection has a negligible effect in comparison to making these system mods. Since the bootloader is locked on the DX, the kernel cannot be changed, therefore the next best thing to modify for improved performance is anything on the system level because its the second closest thing to the hardware level. After that comes your operating system (ROM) which is what this conversation is about; but weather you know it or not, the main reason why ROMs like Rubix and ApeX perform better, is because they come pretweaked with modifications to the system level.

If I were to judge all the ROMs based on how they perform after a fresh install; with no additional/manual system tweaks, then my analysis would be as follows;
1. Rubix - great all around ROM with stable and fast dirty-ratio settings, excellent in built cpu governors, clean and blurrless.
2. ApeX - great blurry ROM with more aggressive system tweaks like high cache pressure value and utilization of cron initiated cache purge scripts.
3. Darkslide - stable and solid blurry ROM, more or less stock regarding system tweaks.
4. GummyJAR - very stable and solid blurrless ROM, no system tweaks to my knowledge
5. Fission - clean, simple and solid, vanilla AOSP ROM; no system tweaks
6. Liberty - highly user friendly by enabling customization through a gui rather than using clockwork, pretty stable; more or less stock system settings.

However, any of these settings can be changed on any ROM.

So how do you choose?
- Comes down to preference and augmented features, like toolboxes, hdmi support, ect...

I personally prefer either Rubix Focused 2.0.1 or the New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak.

{{ WugFresh }}

jdm627

Reaction score
With the right modifications to the system level you can get all the ROMs to perform nearly identical. If you edit your sysctl.conf, your build.prop, overclock and undervolt, your device will be blazing fast and you will realize that ROM selection has a negligible effect in comparison to making these system mods. Since the bootloader is locked on the DX, the kernel cannot be changed, therefore the next best thing to modify for improved performance is anything on the system level because its the second closest thing to the hardware level. After that comes your operating system (ROM) which is what this conversation is about; but weather you know it or not, the main reason why ROMs like Rubix and ApeX perform better, is because they come pretweaked with modifications to the system level.

If I were to judge all the ROMs based on how they perform after a fresh install; with no additional/manual system tweaks, then my analysis would be as follows;
1. Rubix - great all around ROM with stable and fast dirty-ratio settings, excellent in built cpu governors, clean and blurrless.
2. ApeX - great blurry ROM with more aggressive system tweaks like high cache pressure value and utilization of cron initiated cache purge scripts.
3. Darkslide - stable and solid blurry ROM, more or less stock regarding system tweaks.
4. GummyJAR - very stable and solid blurrless ROM, no system tweaks to my knowledge
5. Fission - clean, simple and solid, vanilla AOSP ROM; no system tweaks
6. Liberty - highly user friendly by enabling customization through a gui rather than using clockwork, pretty stable; more or less stock system settings.

However, any of these settings can be changed on any ROM.

So how do you choose?
- Comes down to preference and augmented features, like toolboxes, hdmi support, ect...

I personally prefer either Rubix Focused 2.0.1 or the New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak.

{{ WugFresh }}
+1 excellent
7. Rubix Blurry like Rubix 2.0.1 plus Blur.

Link please for the New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Team Black Hat requested that users don't post mirrors or freely distribute the leak. You have to purchase their app from the market to get it. Sorry :(
New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak

{{ WugFresh }}

jawonder

Reaction score
Ultimate Droid (UD) RC2

What other roms have you used?

B

Liberty 1.5 , DarkSlide 4.2 Blurless , Tranquility 3.7.0 , Rubix 2.0 , fission 2.6.1, Apex 4.1 and Gummy Jar i've use most of the earlier versions of all these roms too, that's if i remember them all . On my phone now i'm using Ultimate Droid and i have :- Tranquility , Apex and Liberty Backed up so i can switch them around when i want to .

guest00459

Reaction score
Haha! That is quite a bit! Glad Im amongst fellow tinkerers! I was just curious because so much has been said about rubix, liberty, gummy jar etc, but I haven't gotten around to seeing what other roms such as UD have to offer!

B

jawonder

Reaction score
Haha! That is quite a bit! Glad Im amongst fellow tinkerers! I was just curious because so much has been said about rubix, liberty, gummy jar etc, but I haven't gotten around to seeing what other roms such as UD have to offer!

B

They are all good roms and it depends on what you are looking for in a rom UD has things haven't seen in other roms it does not ave a tool box like Tranquility , Fission , Apex or Liberty but i has UD settings which makes you do basically everything to the rom that you can think of , i've never seen a rom like UD .

ssparkpuppy

Reaction score
running liberty 1.5, it's alright, but I'm looking for a bit more freedom when it comes to integrating blur... mostly for the hdmi output. also I don't think a custom rom should require downloading a program from the market(adw, live home, ect.) just to change up the home screen a bit

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
running liberty 1.5, it's alright, but I'm looking for a bit more freedom when it comes to integrating blur... mostly for the hdmi output. also I don't think a custom rom should require downloading a program from the market(adw, live home, ect.) just to change up the home screen a bit

Unfortunately HDMI relies on blurred framework so you can't get that feature on a blurrless ROM like Liberty. Regarding your comment about home screen customization, those kind of options are governed by the launcher.apk, which is a standalone app not an integrated ROM component. Most custom roms come with either launcher.apk or launcher2.apk as their default launcher because those apps are free on the market and can be redistributed without consequence. Yes, they may have limited features in comparison to paid launcher apps on the market but they are are very reliable and quick. When the devs release their ROMs they want the end users to experience the optimal/max performance on first boot; therefore, its not in their best interest to incorporate a launcher that uses more system resources. That is why they come prepackaged with a barebones launcher; additionaly many devs actually tweak them (increasing the snap velocity....) so that they perform even quicker than their counterpart on the market. And some ROMs now actually do come prepackaged with ADW because it is also free on the market and relatively light on system resources. However non of this matters at all because like I said before, the home launcher is a standalone app and can be easily replaced by the end user with which ever one they prefer. I think what your suggesting is that the ROM devs start actually building and including their own custom launchers to prepackaged with their releases, but that's rather silly, why do that when all launcher.apk's already work on all ROMs... if you were building a new home launcher then you might as well go ahead and release it to the market. Furthermore, why not just leave home launcher development to the people who have already been specializing in that. I much rather the ROM devs continue to work on improving the performance of the core features... the capabilities of the default launcher really isn't something that you should be factoring into your decision when reviewing/deciding on a ROM.

That said, if you are looking for a good custom ROM with HDMI support, I would recommend checking out either ApeX, Darkslide, or Rubix Blurry. Or look at New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak.

{{ WugFresh }}

ssparkpuppy

Reaction score
I'm still running my rom on a test phone before I flash it over and take it for a spin in real the real world. So liberty is what I settled for in the mean time I hate blur and most blur based roms, no hdmi for a while was fine by me, for others it's not. This is a post on favorite rom and why, not tech spec. And running hdmi with out blur on a rom is not to hard a hurtle to cross so it just baffled me that nobody else had,

Unfortunately HDMI relies on blurred framework so you can't get that feature on a blurrless ROM like Liberty. Regarding your comment about home screen customization, those kind of options are governed by the launcher.apk, which is a standalone app not an integrated ROM component. Most custom roms come with either launcher.apk or launcher2.apk as their default launcher because those apps are free on the market and can be redistributed without consequence. Yes, they may have limited features in comparison to paid launcher apps on the market but they are are very reliable and quick. When the devs release their ROMs they want the end users to experience the optimal/max performance on first boot; therefore, its not in their best interest to incorporate a launcher that uses more system resources. That is why they come prepackaged with a barebones launcher; additionaly many devs actually tweak them (increasing the snap velocity....) so that they perform even quicker than their counterpart on the market. And some ROMs now actually do come prepackaged with ADW because it is also free on the market and relatively light on system resources. However non of this matters at all because like I said before, the home launcher is a standalone app and can be easily replaced by the end user with which ever one they prefer. I think what your suggesting is that the ROM devs start actually building and including their own custom launchers to prepackaged with their releases, but that's rather silly, why do that when all launcher.apk's already work on all ROMs... if you were building a new home launcher then you might as well go ahead and release it to the market. Furthermore, why not just leave home launcher development to the people who have already been specializing in that. I much rather the ROM devs continue to work on improving the performance of the core features... the capabilities of the default launcher really isn't something that you should be factoring into your decision when reviewing/deciding on a ROM.

That said, if you are looking for a good custom ROM with HDMI support, I would recommend checking out either ApeX, Darkslide, or Rubix Blurry. Or look at New Blurr 3.4.2 TBH leak.

{{ WugFresh }}

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm still running my rom on a test phone before I flash it over and take it for a spin in real the real world. So liberty is what I settled for in the mean time I hate blur and most blur based roms, no hdmi for a while was fine by me, for others it's not. This is a post on favorite rom and why, not tech spec. And running hdmi with out blur on a rom is not to hard a hurtle to cross so it just baffled me that nobody else had

Umm... I judge/make informed decisions regarding what ROM I choose based on its technical specifications. You mean I am supposed to post why I choose a ROM without explaining my technical reasoning for doing so? So what you are saying is that you rather a whole thread that's filled with generic posts like, I like this ROM its fast.. lol. Sorry for backing up my response with technical information... I will remember to be more vauge next time.

I honestly was just trying to tell you what my experience was. As for running HDMI on blurless... I was talking from my perspective as a DroidX user which has a locked bootloader.. so frankly I don't know if its possible on a device with no limitations. You tell me.. but I am not going to apologise for giving you technical information in a technical forum.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Twitchy

Reaction score
Running Darkslide, and some other customizing programs

Here are some screenies cause everyone loves pics...

My Home
20110324165833.jpeg

My Shortcuts
20110324165927.jpeg

Still need to get the one Icon greyscale

and my Lockscreen, which is my Fav, thanks to Chkmate
20110324170511.jpeg