not sure where to post this

director38

Reaction score
I'm curious why it matters what version the device is on when you install a custom ROM? I had stock GB on my DX but the two custom I've tried have been more like froyo I think.
Is there a diagram somewhere that shows which pieces fit where and which ones are replaced by the custom ROM?

Reaction score
I am not quite sure what you are asking in the second part but for your initial question about why the system version matters, I am not a dev but my understanding is that it all has to do with the kernel. With Motorola devices having locked boot loaders we do not have the freedom to flash kernels so if a custom Rom is built off a system using one kernel and your phone is on a system with a different kernel, they will not work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

mapd00d

Reaction score
there is a DroidX forum, there are Hacks forums and there are ROM forums...
yet you decided to ask a question about them in the Off Topic Forum. (which to get to, you have to scroll past all other forums...)

obviously you weren't sure about where to post this,
but ...seriously?

OP
D

director38

Reaction score
why I posted here

I tried to post in "Hacks" and "Custom ROMS" first but was unable to. I did not post in DX forum because I did not think my question was unique to the DX. I did not post in the Liberty ROM or Steel Droid ROM because, again, I did not think my question was unique to either of those ROMS. So here we are...

Thanks Jungle King for a piece of the puzzle. I guess I don't quite get how the kernel is separate from the ROM. So if I could replace the kernel I could use other ROMS? But I can't because it's a DX? Am I getting that part right at least?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I moved the thread to the Droid X ROMs section, it will hopefully get a little more specific info for you.

And you are correct in assuming that you can not change the kernel on the Droid X (or any device that has a locked and encrypted bootloader as the DX does). Now I am sketchy on some of the recent details on which ROM goes with which version as far the DX is concerned which is why I moved it for you.