Rooting and Flashing

Sport

Reaction score
A big hardy Thank You to Tapout 27 and hecantbreathe for their assistance when I got stuck.

Post #2 will be my successful steps on how a layman rooted their OTA Froyo Fascinate.

Post #3 will be my successful steps on how a layman updated his phone to the newest ROM (v1.3).

Post #4 will be my successful attempt at installing a Theme.

I am a lay person, and I will not be responsible if you 'brick' your phone while attempting to follow these steps.

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Rooting from:
Baseband~ S:i500.04.V.ED01
Build #~ SCH-I500.ED01

This is the latest update from Verizon.

I followed these instructions from Tapout27, but want to elaborate on a few things I found confusing.

1)Downloads:
Download Samsung drivers from HERE.

Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.

Download ClockworkMod Recovery from HERE. (place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).
Update: (6/08/11) use OTB CWM3 Recovery v3.0.2.8x.OTBv2 found HERE.

(Using your USB cord, sync your phone to your PC and copy the next two files on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders)
Download "update.zip" file from HERE.

Download "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file from HERE.

Instructions:
1) Be sure to FIRST install update.zip AND su-2.3.6.1.x.zip onto your phone via the USB cable.

2) Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs for this to work properly)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord which came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Press the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the cwr-all.tar file you downloaded earlier.

7. Press START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1/failed 0) and your phone screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone and re-insert battery.

9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons and the power button simultaneously. Hold all three until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into recovery. If your text is red, then you're already in ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and you can skip the rest of this step. If the recovery menu is blue, then you're in stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to navigate down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select using the "Home" softkey. This will take you to CWM Recovery (red text menu). If your phone does not boot into recovery here, just pull the battery or wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try this again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.

10. When you see the red text and "CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery 2.5.1x" at the top, use the volume rocker to navigate down to "Wipe data/factory reset." Press the power button to select, and then navigate to yes, and press the power button again to select. Do this 3 times.

11. Scroll down to "Wipe cache partition," use power button to select, and then highlight and select "Yes." Do this 3 times.

12. Scroll down to "advanced" and then select "Wipe dalvik cache." Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select. Do this 3 times.

13. Press the "Menu" softkey to return to the previous menu in CWM Recovery.

14. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.

15. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.

16. Navigate to the rooted "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.

17. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted with fully bloated ED01 Froyo. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "SuperUser". If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel.

Don't break your phone! It's not my prob if you do! Good Luck, This did work and I am going good!

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Installing ROM

HERE are some instructions BHFD64 provided me to read about Flashing your ROM.

Here is what I did:
Download and install on Root OTB1.3
Downloaded and installed ComRom 1.3Test2 onto SDcard

1) Booted to CWM (Red)
2) Installed/flashed ComRom1.3Test2 from SD Card.
3) Then installed/flashed OTB1.3 from SD Card

Update: (6/08/11) use OTB CWM3 Recovery v3.0.2.8x.OTBv2 found HERE.
4) Reboot (New theme~Looks Good!)

5) Then it automatically powered down and booted to CWM Red again
6) Installed/flashed (ComRomGoS2_SteelBluev1.75.zip)
7) Reboot. It loaded up to main screen, seem to freeze, then performed a quick reboot.

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
Installing theme

Find a Theme you like/ I chose THIS one.

1) Install Theme in zip file onto your phone's SDcard via the USB cord.

2) Boot to Red Recovery

3) Choose install from SDcard

4) locate theme pack and install.

5) Reboot.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You'll see in the rooting guide posted by Tapout (HERE), that the changes you made are actually already part of the original guide put together by the Rescue Squad.

OP
S

Sport

Reaction score
You'll see in the rooting guide posted by Tapout (HERE), that the changes you made are actually already part of the original guide put together by the Rescue Squad.

Yup. Thank you for point that out. This thread also links to it as well. These are steps to help me understand how I did it, and grow from there. I found myself thumbing through a great many pages trying to make sense of it all and just wanted to organize it in a format I can follow.

and I do appreciate all you guys have done! Keep up the good work and acts of service!