Rooted X and 2.2

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
How will this affect the over the air 2.2 froyo update?

will we have to figure out how to root it again after 2.2 comes out?

Will we even be able to update to 2.2 without unrooting the device?

how do we unroot this rig?

I really dont want any custom roms, but I would like to have flash on my device... I miss it from my droid 1

will we be able to update to 2.2 and still maintain root?

fccs

Reaction score
This is one thing im wondering as well. I am waiting for 2.2 to come out before I root just to be safe.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How will this affect the over the air 2.2 froyo update?

will we have to figure out how to root it again after 2.2 comes out?

most likely

Will we even be able to update to 2.2 without unrooting the device?

the OTA update should remove root

how do we unroot this rig?

not figured out yet but give it some time

I really dont want any custom roms, but I would like to have flash on my device... I miss it from my droid 1

im not sure about this.. maybe someone else can chime in?

will we be able to update to 2.2 and still maintain root?

cant yet need into the bootloader for that

answers in quote

we_suffer

Reaction score
I just asked this same question. Abe21599 thinks receiving the official Froyo update would undo rooting.

I'd have to agree. I can't really imagine them letting us slip by rooted and allowing us the official Froyo without unrooting our phones.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just asked this same question. Abe21599 thinks receiving the official Froyo update would undo rooting.

I'd have to agree. I can't really imagine them letting us slip by rooted and allowing us the official Froyo without unrooting our phones.

this is just what i recall from having the droid 1 when I rooted it

custom roms would be preset to block ALL OTA updates so i presume if you dont have a way of blocking it it will install itself sooner or later and remove root..

Elkay

Reaction score
Then what we need to do is figure out what service is being used or what IP address is being checked for updates and put a stop to it for now. I don't want my phone automatically updating and killing root. I'd rather stay rooted on 2.1 than lose it to 2.2.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then what we need to do is figure out what service is being used or what IP address is being checked for updates and put a stop to it for now. I don't want my phone automatically updating and killing root. I'd rather stay rooted on 2.1 than lose it to 2.2.

ehh 2.1 root was figured out in a week i bet well see something by 2.2 that will not have to worry about it

Elkay

Reaction score
Well I already figured out how to block OTA updates from installing for us haha. Just move/rename the file at:

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

I just renamed it to otacerts_.zip using Root Explorer mounted as R/W. This file contains the certs used to validate the OTA update prior to installing. Without those certs, no OTA update will validate. :)

misdirection

Reaction score
I rooted Droid X, so if I got Froyo 2.2 update, will it brick my phone or no?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sounds good to me but im not a dev :) so i really dont know

see if one of the devs on here or take it over to droidxforums.com to see what they have to say - more DX devs there

Humpa

Reaction score
I rooted Droid X, so if I got Froyo 2.2 update, will it brick my phone or no?

no youll just lose root

That's all I need to hear.
I thought the people who rooted without installing the OTA could no longer receive/download the OTA? Why would the next OTA be any different?

I see a lot of people jumping on this "one way" root process. Hopefully they find a way back before rooted Froyo leaks.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way they rooted they said could work on any device, so I bet they could root again in the same way after the update. Just wait till they do to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Humpa

Reaction score
The way they rooted they said could work on any device, so I bet they could root again in the same way after the update. Just wait till they do to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I thought after rooting people could no longer receive the current OTA?