Rooted X and 2.2

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way they rooted they said could work on any device, so I bet they could root again in the same way after the update. Just wait till they do to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I thought after rooting people could no longer receive the current OTA?

That is only if you have a custom recovery or a special aspect built into the rom your running, which I don't know if the x has a custom recovery or not...

Humpa

Reaction score
The way they rooted they said could work on any device, so I bet they could root again in the same way after the update. Just wait till they do to be safe.

That is only if you have a custom recovery or a special aspect built into the rom your running, which I don't know if the x has a custom recovery or not...

Let me try again ... lol

People that did not yet do the OTA, and then rooted, are now unable to do the current 604 OTA.
Is this not correct? I've read people say that, and I've not read otherwise. Did I miss something?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Let me try again ... lol

People that did not yet do the OTA, and then rooted, are now unable to do the current 604 OTA.
Is this not correct? I've read people say that, and I've not read otherwise. Did I miss something?

Oh, yes, you are correct.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Let me try again ... lol

It has been my observation that those who were affected by that OTA failing had renamed some of the default apps / or removed them.

Once they re-named them to be seen, etc. the update went through.

The fact that they received the update should be enough for all of you to see that just applying root will not stop the OTA, D1, X or otherwise. (But that was said already).

Humpa

Reaction score
Let me try again ... lol

It has been my observation that those who were affected by that OTA failing had renamed some of the default apps / or removed them.

Once they re-named them to be seen, etc. the update went through.

The fact that they received the update should be enough for all of you to see that just applying root will not stop the OTA, D1, X or otherwise. (But that was said already).
That makes sense. I knew that renaming system apps (or certain ones) will cause updates to fail.

I had thought just the root process itself did something that caused the OTA to fail.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Naah ...

Rooting itself changes nothing in respect to otacerts and the recovery on the phone itself, so it will get it and try to install if you let it.

Some OMS have those changes incorporated, once running those, you will get the update, but the recovery won't install, etc.

dulaney22

Reaction score
I'm a week and a day new to droid (lol) and rooted my X last night. To me the question is not why root with Froyo coming up but why upgrade to Froyo? I have read a decent amount about Froyo and the only benefit over a rooted phone seems to be in the speed department. Well, I really don't see how a phone can be any faster than my X now. There is no lag or any "wait" in anything I do.

Humpa

Reaction score
I'm a week and a day new to droid (lol) and rooted my X last night. To me the question is not why root with Froyo coming up but why upgrade to Froyo? I have read a decent amount about Froyo and the only benefit over a rooted phone seems to be in the speed department. Well, I really don't see how a phone can be any faster than my X now. There is no lag or any "wait" in anything I do.
Yeah, I agree. I'm on Windows 95 still. ;)

Rooted Froyo is the next step. Though I'd take a Froyo X over a current rooted X any day of the week.

dulaney22

Reaction score

Rooted Froyo is the next step. Though I'd take a Froyo X over a current rooted X any day of the week.

Well I guess I just don't comprehend what I'm reading if it's that obvious. I watched those videos comparing speed test and the like, but I don't see how much faster in really life applications it can be? It can open an app in .35 sec v. .5? I made those numbers up, but do you see my point?

Reaction score
Yeah I'm excited for the browsing speed and I would truly love to have flash on my device. But again, I'm fine with my current setup too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Humpa

Reaction score

Well I guess I just don't comprehend what I'm reading if it's that obvious. I watched those videos comparing speed test and the like, but I don't see how much faster in really life applications it can be? It can open an app in .35 sec v. .5? I made those numbers up, but do you see my point?
I agree. I never said I wanted it for speed increase. Though it does have that, of course. It also has other things. But I suppose we're to the point where we all understand that upgrades are part of the computer world and are generally good things. They add improvements. Froyo is no exception.

I was just saying that personally, I don't need any of the things I can get by rooting. I would like root, but I'd rather have the latest OS than the previous one rooted. Now, if I needed root for some reason, that'd be a different story.

EDIT: that being said, I imagine I'll root soon. But I'd prefer to wait for a way to unroot as well, just in case.

mha

Reaction score
Im waiting 4 the update Allaso well that and an eazyer way to root

Wich brings me to my question will it get any eazy? kind of like jailbraking an ipod(like download a program and clicking let it rain:)

Humpa

Reaction score
Im waiting 4 the update Allaso well that and an eazyer way to root

Wich brings me to my question will it get any eazy? kind of like jailbraking an ipod(like download a program and clicking let it rain:)
It doesn't get much easier than dragging and dropping some files to your sdcard and typing a few lines on your phone. Rooting isn't for everyone though.

NeutronBomb

Reaction score
Well its pretty easy already if you do it with a terminal emulator app. This way doesn't require ADB or even a computer at all. There are a few walkthroughs for this method around and it works. I know how to use adv but its always been a minor pain so I opted for this route. I would imagine there will be a one button app that does it for you soon enough though if typing a few lines into a terminal emulator and downloading a file from your phone is too much hassle.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I see little use for root with 2.1 on the X, With 2.2 on the X root IMHO will not be needed for a smooth running device