Root

curryinaninstant

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New poster here. I'm interested in rooting my droid x2 and had some questions. I just got the gingerbread update and am running 2.2.3. How would I go about rooting the phone? I've never rooted a phone before. Are there any custom roms available for the new gingerbread update, and if so, how would I go about flashing them? The main reason I want to root my phone is to improve the battery life through undervolting. is there a way to do that?

Thanks for all the help!

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New poster here. I'm interested in rooting my droid x2 and had some questions. I just got the gingerbread update and am running 2.2.3. How would I go about rooting the phone? I've never rooted a phone before. Are there any custom roms available for the new gingerbread update, and if so, how would I go about flashing them? The main reason I want to root my phone is to improve the battery life through undervolting. is there a way to do that?

Thanks for all the help!

If You're Already On Gingerbread There Is No Way To Root That Right Now. You Would Need To Flash Back To 2.2.2, Gain Root, And Flash P3Droid's Pre-Root Gingerbread.

OP
C

curryinaninstant

Reaction score

Thanks for all the help!

If You're Already On Gingerbread There Is No Way To Root That Right Now. You Would Need To Flash Back To 2.2.2, Gain Root, And Flash P3Droid's Pre-Root Gingerbread.
Okay I have no idea how to do that. Will the pre-root gingerbread work the same as the gingerbread that is actually on my phone right now? If so, what steps would I have to go about to do that? From there, can I install another rom, or am I stuck using what i have until someone releases another rom? Also, would flashing back delete all my apps? Thanks for the help!

myriad46

Reaction score
Currently this method:

UPDATED - [HOW-TO] SBF back to stock Froyo, Update to P3Droids Pre-Rooted GB Update - xda-developers

is the only way to root GB on a Droid X2 at this time.

So do you recommend rooting it? (which involves deleting all my apps) or do you think its better off just to wait? When is there going to be a root for gingerbread?

Why do you want to root? That may help us to give you a yes/no as to whether you should.

OP
C

curryinaninstant

Reaction score
Currently this method:

UPDATED - [HOW-TO] SBF back to stock Froyo, Update to P3Droids Pre-Rooted GB Update - xda-developers

is the only way to root GB on a Droid X2 at this time.

So do you recommend rooting it? (which involves deleting all my apps) or do you think its better off just to wait? When is there going to be a root for gingerbread?

Why do you want to root? That may help us to give you a yes/no as to whether you should.
The major thing, as I said in the OP, is improving the battery life. That, along with the custom roms, titanium backup, tethering, etc. are all reasons why I want to root. I was on the phone for 4 hours yesterday (using it heavily for the internet and texting) and it went from 100 percent battery to 4% battery. I've heard rooting and undervolting seriously improves the battery life which is why I want to give it a go

myriad46

Reaction score

The major thing, as I said in the OP, is improving the battery life. That, along with the custom roms, titanium backup, tethering, etc. are all reasons why I want to root. I was on the phone for 4 hours yesterday (using it heavily for the internet and texting) and it went from 100 percent battery to 4% battery. I've heard rooting and undervolting seriously improves the battery life which is why I want to give it a go

Sorry, from your posts so far it was hard to tell what your experience level was. It now appear to be quite a bit higher than it seemed. Go for the rooting now. It could take a long time to get root not using the pre-root method.

OP
C

curryinaninstant

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I understand what rooting does and the benefits of it, i'm just not 100% sure how to do it. From what I understand, I have to flash back to froyo and then root the phone using gingerbreak. After that, I should install the gingerbread root install.zip file. If I do that, can I still keep a custom rom, or do I have to use the rom associated with gingerbread? I'm still not sure how to flash back to froyo. Also, is there any way to back up all my apps for free?

ALFONSO210

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if there will be a better way to root the new updates with dx2 ...its alot of bs to go back to fryo and flash p3droid ...does anyone know if there be a better way to root dx2;;;;;

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if there will be a better way to root the new updates with dx2 ...its alot of bs to go back to fryo and flash p3droid ...does anyone know if there be a better way to root dx2;;;;;

No. How can we. People are working on it but there isn't any timeline for when the miracle happens. Suck up and deal with it. It's a lot better then having no root at all.

OP
C

curryinaninstant

Reaction score

No. How can we. People are working on it but there isn't any timeline for when the miracle happens. Suck up and deal with it. It's a lot better then having no root at all.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'm still lost on how exactly to go through this process. Is there a step by step guide? Also, is there a way to back up all my apps so I wont have to redownload them at a later point in time?

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'm still lost on how exactly to go through this process. Is there a step by step guide? Also, is there a way to back up all my apps so I wont have to redownload them at a later point in time?

Use Mybackup Root, Free In The Market. It Backs Up All Your Apps Saving Them As Apks.

OP
C

curryinaninstant

Reaction score

Use Mybackup Root, Free In The Market. It Backs Up All Your Apps Saving Them As Apks.

Thanks! I rooted the phone earlier today. What is the best rom out there for the x2?