Root WIFI tether+XBOX (Droid Does)

Tegamal

Reaction score
Why would your bill be more if you tether a lot?
To use Smartphone tethering, it's an extra charge with a limited data allowance. Using a Root wifi tether allows you to tether without this charge, but if they (VZW) sees a horrendous amount of data being used, they will investigate it.

If they find you guilty of it, they can/will charge you for data usage & could possibly fine you/cancel your account due to breach of contract.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Man, you guys are playing with fire. This will rack up MB so fast in such a short period of time, it will be an instant red flag and afraid you might see a huge VZW bill. I'm not being the moral police, because there will be times this year when I'm camping that I will probably use wifi tether for short periods of time, but to hook up your XBox360 and playing online games, I can't imagine what could be the consequences. Hope for your sakes that nothing happens.

Not really, as long as you don't play for hours upon hours via your tethered Droid. According to xbox magazine, normally you would use 10MB downloaded per hour and 6MB uploaded per hour.

Edit: Maybe consider installing a firewall app to block where your data usage is going.

FlipBack

Reaction score
Interesting.

Me and 3 friends are going out of town and staying in a hotel March 25th-27th for an FBLA competition, and we are bringing a couple 360's. Our plan was that if the hotel doesn't have wifi, we would use my droid for xbox live. We would probably only have enough free time to play for maybe 6 hours total while we were there. How likely is it that Verizon would investiagte that amount of data usage? Has anyone ever been caught or know someone that has for illegal tethering?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hoffdroid, and others who may be wondering...and like Vulcan1600 I'm not trying to play the role of the moral police but...tethering is against your agreement.

Your phone can not play flash 10.1 and your phone can not connect to xbox live.

If some flag goes up because a ton of xbox traffic is going over the cell towers or you watched 5 Hulu movies at the campsite and have consumed 30gb of traffic in a short period of time and they investigate they have every right to charge you the $1.99/mb of traffic you sucked down. Do the math. Be careful.

grado

Reaction score
So I rooted my Droid last week and left wifi tether out figuring Id never use it. Well, now I wanted it.

I reflashed droidmod and checked off wifi tether. Set it up (I had to change the SSID name for it to work). My laptop instantly found it and the speed suprised me. It loads web pages twice as fast through the laptop than it does on the droid.

Then I wondered how it would handle my 360. I had an extra XBOX Wireles Adapter layin around so I hooked it up. The xbox found it instanly with FULL BARS!

I threw in Modern Warfare 2 and was shocked at how it played. Joined a lobby with friends, they said my mic was crystal clear. We started a match and my conn. showed 3 out of 5 or 6 green bars. There was a little lag here and there but I went 26-6 and we won the game.

I might take the xbox on the road next time.

This phone keeps puttin a smile on my face....Droid FTW>
I never try before, but I think Wifi adapter is normally standard version, PC and Xbox both can use

ashcanpete

Reaction score
I've tried this tethering, and not only does it work well, it doesn't use that much data. The figures mentioned above are about right: 10 MB down / 6 MB up per hour. And yes I was playing MW2 the entire time I tested this. If you figure you are allowed 2GB per month and you play on average 3 hours/day then you can easily see that using xbox live through tethering will NOT get you flagged by VZW.

Watching movies on Hulu, however, is another matter...

wukkaz

Reaction score
Here's my question. Is it possible to get online on xboxlive without a pc in the hardware configuration? As in, buying the 99 dollar wireless adapter, and hooking it up to a rooted droid with wifi tether, wirelessly? Will the 360 recognize your phone as a modem or... all I wanna know is whether or not its possible because I have no pc.

JosephMS89

Reaction score
anyone happen to know how much data the average verizon/droid owner uses in a month? just updated my verizon and they have a data usage widget now lol. i have the droid x and its my first one comin from a blackberry curve 8330 which was a decent phone but this here is what i call a mans phone lol at&t has what i call the iFail4 lol. im about to be 21 and ive had verizon since i was 13 rockin the motorla T720 and this is my first motorola phone ever since and i love the **** out of it

iPirate

Reaction score
Now you need to get your xbox and a tv in your car. Setup ustream on your phone and stream video of you playing xbox in your car

rda990

Reaction score
Man, you guys are playing with fire. This will rack up MB so fast in such a short period of time, it will be an instant red flag and afraid you might see a huge VZW bill. I'm not being the moral police, because there will be times this year when I'm camping that I will probably use wifi tether for short periods of time, but to hook up your XBox360 and playing online games, I can't imagine what could be the consequences. Hope for your sakes that nothing happens.

Not at all,1 hour of playing MW2 is = to about 30-40MB of transferred data,surprised me too but that no red flag.

Mateenager

Reaction score
Alright for all the noobs out there, (looking at myself), who just got rooted (look at, well....myself again)...how can I Wifi Tether? And is it free?

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but I can't imagine that playing a game online on XBox would be a big data hit. It's not like the games graphics are going through the pipeline since all that is on your disc (unlike a youtube or Hulu video that's hosted somewhere else). It seems like all that's going back and forth are the controller commands and the voice data if you're using a headset.

rlacsamana1989

Reaction score
Alright for all the noobs out there, (looking at myself), who just got rooted (look at, well....myself again)...how can I Wifi Tether? And is it free?

You need to download the wireless tethering app on your phone. To do this download a wireless tethering.apk file and install it using a file manager like astro.

Once you have this you can use wifi tether. it just goes off your data plan so if you have an unlimited data plan your good.

FYI. to find the apk file google wifi tether droid apk

usually you can find several that will work. and also sometimes they are in the market and it will say for root users only.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not at all,1 hour of playing MW2 is = to about 30-40MB of transferred data,surprised me too but that no red flag.

Pandora hi-quality is probably @50-60 megs an hour, so agree your MW2 wouldn't stand out.