Root WIFI tether+XBOX (Droid Does)

Chatchie

Reaction score
So I rooted my Droid last week and left wifi tether out figuring Id never use it. Well, now I wanted it.

I reflashed droidmod and checked off wifi tether. Set it up (I had to change the SSID name for it to work). My laptop instantly found it and the speed suprised me. It loads web pages twice as fast through the laptop than it does on the droid.

Then I wondered how it would handle my 360. I had an extra XBOX Wireles Adapter layin around so I hooked it up. The xbox found it instanly with FULL BARS!

I threw in Modern Warfare 2 and was shocked at how it played. Joined a lobby with friends, they said my mic was crystal clear. We started a match and my conn. showed 3 out of 5 or 6 green bars. There was a little lag here and there but I went 26-6 and we won the game.

I might take the xbox on the road next time.

This phone keeps puttin a smile on my face....Droid FTW>

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I rooted my Droid last week and left wifi tether out figuring Id never use it. Well, now I wanted it.

I reflashed droidmod and checked off wifi tether. Set it up (I had to change the SSID name for it to work). My laptop instantly found it and the speed suprised me. It loads web pages twice as fast through the laptop than it does on the droid.

Then I wondered how it would handle my 360. I had an extra XBOX Wireles Adapter layin around so I hooked it up. The xbox found it instanly with FULL BARS!

I threw in Modern Warfare 2 and was shocked at how it played. Joined a lobby with friends, they said my mic was crystal clear. We started a match and my conn. showed 3 out of 5 or 6 green bars. There was a little lag here and there but I went 26-6 and we won the game.

nice find. thought about doing that but never spent the time to do it

what happens when ur about to go on a ten killstreak and u get a text :eek:hmy:

Droidsta

Reaction score
hey about that so how do u connect to your 360? are u saying you use it as a wireless network addapter or do you use the xbox wireless adapter? please explain the hardware setup

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, you guys are playing with fire. This will rack up MB so fast in such a short period of time, it will be an instant red flag and afraid you might see a huge VZW bill. I'm not being the moral police, because there will be times this year when I'm camping that I will probably use wifi tether for short periods of time, but to hook up your XBox360 and playing online games, I can't imagine what could be the consequences. Hope for your sakes that nothing happens.

bastosero

Reaction score

Plus, be careful using it "on the road" next time. I don't know if you meant you would be roaming and using tethering together. If you use it that way, make sure you check your data usage often. That could be a very, very expensive thing to do.

bronx finest

Reaction score
Man, you guys are playing with fire. This will rack up MB so fast in such a short period of time, it will be an instant red flag and afraid you might see a huge VZW bill. I'm not being the moral police, because there will be times this year when I'm camping that I will probably use wifi tether for short periods of time, but to hook up your XBox360 and playing online games, I can't imagine what could be the consequences. Hope for your sakes that nothing happens.
x2, I was thinking the same as I read. good to show the capabilities of wifi tether though!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
x2, I was thinking the same as I read. good to show the capabilities of wifi tether though!

yea idt too many ppl would want to play live with the tether. id agree with its just for bragging rights (Can your iPhone run xbox live? i think not)

bronx finest

Reaction score
You know, I'm a noob really and I've been considering about rooting for the past few days, and the wifi tether is one of the biggest wants I have.

Last night I asked myself would my 360 run on this without horrible lag, and you showed that it wouldn't. Sick! Great minds think alike :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You know, I'm a noob really and I've been considering about rooting for the past few days, and the wifi tether is one of the biggest wants I have.

Last night I asked myself would my 360 run on this without horrible lag, and you showed that it wouldn't. Sick! Great minds think alike :)

well its a good program so if you have a strong 3G connection then there shouldnt be any problems

OP
C

Chatchie

Reaction score
I didn't do this as a permanent thing. Was just wondering if it could be done.

I used an OEM XBOX wireless adapter to achieve this.

bronx finest

Reaction score
For some odd reason, I was using the Storm to tether my netbook, and it was piss poor. I hope for better performance out of the droid.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For some odd reason, I was using the Storm to tether my netbook, and it was piss poor. I hope for better performance out of the droid.

you wont be disappointed

edit: cant spell/type too fast

shaggy3131

Reaction score
You know, I'm a noob really and I've been considering about rooting for the past few days, and the wifi tether is one of the biggest wants I have

I agree the only reason i rooted the phone is for the tether i don't think i need to flash the rom

jrl9851

Reaction score

yea idt too many ppl would want to play live with the tether. id agree with its just for bragging rights (Can your iPhone run xbox live? i think not)

As a former iphone user, yes it can. I think it's best to know the facts before you say something.

And I hate the iphone lol.