Root Rom Theme and App Questions

only126db

Reaction score
Ok I have had my D2 for a little bit now, I have been hesitant to root mainly due to warranty issues.

I have a bunch of questions and to most they are probably simple.

1 If I root how do I unroot if I need to send my phone for warranty?
2 Wil my Winamp and other regular apps still work once rooted?
3 What is the diference between a rom and theme?
4 can i do a rom and use any theme or do certain themes only work with certain roms?
5 I am interested in rooting purely for performance enhancement since my droid is my primary internet access due to living in the middle of nowhere.

I may have more questions too, but these are a good start.

Thanks in advance

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok I have had my D2 for a little bit now, I have been hesitant to root mainly due to warranty issues.

there are a few ways to root/unroot. the easiest way would be z4root. its a one click app to root or unroot

yes, all previous apps will continue to work. you're basically just opening a door, not doing construction.

a rom is going to change the way the phone performs and a theme alters the way it looks only. think adding new engine parts to a car versus changing the paint and interior.

4 can i do a rom and use any theme or do certain themes only work with certain roms?

themes have their own selection for themes but many theme get ported from rom to rom. but yes you have to make sure that the theme is compatible with the rom first.

5 I am interested in rooting purely for performance enhancement since my droid is my primary internet access due to living in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance

answered questions in red

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score

there are a few ways to root/unroot. the easiest way would be z4root. its a one click app to root or unroot

yes, all previous apps will continue to work. you're basically just opening a door, not doing construction.

a rom is going to change the way the phone performs and a theme alters the way it looks only. think adding new engine parts to a car versus changing the paint and interior.

themes have their own selection for themes but many theme get ported from rom to rom. but yes you have to make sure that the theme is compatible with the rom first.

Thanks in advance

answered questions in red

So how do I make sure a theme and rom are compatible?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
most roms have their own section here on the forums. all of the compatible themes will have a thread in that section. some roms, like liberty, have a sticky at the top of the section with a list of all compatible themes and links to their threads.

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score
most roms have their own section here on the forums. all of the compatible themes will have a thread in that section. some roms, like liberty, have a sticky at the top of the section with a list of all compatible themes and links to their threads.

Ok

What do you think would be a good rom for me, like I said performance is my main goal, I want my droid as fast and smooth as possible and to kill the data throttling since this is my main internet access, it gets annoying when I hit their magic number and my access slows down.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well the data throttling removal is available n most of the roms, but i don't think any of them have it done right out of the box. overall it comes down to preference, do want to keep or remove blur and such.

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score
well the data throttling removal is available n most of the roms, but i don't think any of them have it done right out of the box. overall it comes down to preference, do want to keep or remove blur and such.

I was just reading up on the blur thing, it seems if i read the couple things right, the roms which r not blur allow for more performance but you also have to do more leg work to find widgets etc.

Does that sound correct?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ya thats about right. it could also be said that blurless roms are faster and blur roms are more stable.

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score
ya thats about right. it could also be said that blurless roms are faster and blur roms are more stable.

ahhh ok, well I have to have stability, but I also want maxx performance for video,audio and internet downloading and surfing.

Any suggestion on something to check out?

Reaction score
I would highly sugest liberty rom... I recently flashed it and instantly fell in love. Its fast as poop and I have had little to know problems, but that's IMO. There are far more knowledgable guys than me haha. Happy rom hunting but seriously read up on liberty

Delivered to you by my Liberated D2

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score
Looked at Liberty, and I like the Epic Blue theme for it....

I am going to have to do alot more reading befor I decide to root though, I'm a scaredy cat

Reaction score

I am going to have to do alot more reading befor I decide to root though, I'm a scaredy cat

I was scared too at first haha but like there's no real downside to rooting.... that I can think of haha

OP
O

only126db

Reaction score

I was scared too at first haha but like there's no real downside to rooting.... that I can think of haha

Well I rooted, piece of cake………

Now I just have to read up on the Liberty installation instructions.

Reaction score
Now I just have to read up on the Liberty installation instructions.

Tuts might sound complicated but just take them one step at a time... make sure u take the proper percations too, like back ups and syncing and correct downloads...

Also check out oreoslice if u haven't, it sooo awesome, it has more than colors.. well it doesn't have colors... its black and white haha but its more bada** than it sounds with the rockin animations and what not:)

Reaction score
Also try messaging some one maybe they will walk u through it.

aefc5028-5d8d-abb1.jpg
aefc5028-5da3-96b5.jpg

Oreosclice theme... then its market... I like it:)

Delivered to you by my liberated D2