Questions about rooting

Reaction score
I know nothing about rooting or loading custom ROMs on an Android phone so sorry if these questions sound stupid/obvious.

1. If I root my phone, do I have to install a custom ROM to it?

2. If I root my phone, will that prevent me from receiving an OTA update?

3. Is it possible to root your phone, and only enable wireless tethering without installling a custom ROM? (i just want to root my phone for wifi tethering, and cpu over/underclocking)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No you do not have to install a custom rom when you root

It shouldn't prevent you from receiving an ota as long as you don't remove bloat

Edit: oh and yeah you can wireless tether without a rom there are several apps available in the marketplace.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

BalistikBill

Reaction score
I will add though that when you do install a ROM you'll never want to go back to the stock moto version. I just had to do this recently and felt the pain, let me tell you! It's a very easy process.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will add though that when you do install a ROM you'll never want to go back to the stock moto version. I just had to do this recently and felt the pain, let me tell you! It's a very easy process.

Good point.

OP
R
Reaction score
the thing im most scared about is accidentally screwing something up and bricking my phone. does this happen often to people?

also : is the sticky at the top of this forum section a good and safe method to try?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its actually pretty hard to brick it as long as you follow all the directions closely.

OP
R
Reaction score
Its actually pretty hard to brick it as long as you follow all the directions closely.

ok, so aside from bricking my phone, is it possible/likely that i could accidentally wipe most/all of my personal data on my phone?

azpilot

Reaction score
I guess it's possible like everything else to toast your droid but it would be pretty hard. I have screwed mine up pretty good, a nandroid restore fixed it everytime.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you root, probably not. When you add a rom you will have to wipe data and cahe but that's what titanium is for

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're comfortable with that one then yeah probably. I used the no computer method in the terminal emulator on the phone because I like the hands on aspect but whatever works for you really.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Like I said I had to handle all of the operations myself in the terminal emulator so I would say it would be more difficult. Just take some time to familiarize yourself with all the steps and it should begin to make sense. Let me know if you have issues.

OP
R
Reaction score
Like I said I had to handle all of the operations myself in the terminal emulator so I would say it would be more difficult. Just take some time to familiarize yourself with all the steps and it should begin to make sense. Let me know if you have issues.

I finished successfully rooting my phone earlier today. The terminal emulator approach was a lot simpler than using the XDA developer method.