Rooted now what to do?

reyrey2435

Reaction score
i rooted my droid 2 with z4root downloaded rom manager,titanium backup,set cpu,root explorer,and bootstrap for droid2. my issue is what to do now to install a custom rom. do i need to download anything else? what do i need to save and where to save it? and how to load a custom rom. any help would be great people.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well you have all the apps you'll need for flashing a new rom, so the next step is to pick the one that's right for you. Look in the d2 roms section, there aren't a ton to choose from though.

Once you find the one that's right for you the instructions for flashing should be at the top of the thread, some are flashed differently than others. After you've read up there's always someone around to help you.

I'm headed off to bed but i'll check in with you tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
reyrey2435

reyrey2435

Reaction score
Well you have all the apps you'll need for flashing a new rom, so the next step is to pick the one that's right for you. Look in the d2 roms section, there aren't a ton to choose from though.

Once you find the one that's right for you the instructions for flashing should be at the top of the thread, some are flashed differently than others. After you've read up there's always someone around to help you.

I'm headed off to bed but i'll check in with you tomorrow.

you are awesome thank you for your quick reply and tips.i will check out the threads now

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey I just saw you comment in the squidly thread so I thought i'd drop you a line before I pass out. That's the easiest rom to flash. Al you have to do is
1. Download the rom and place it on the root of your sd card, meaning not in any folders just on the base

2. Boot in to recovery by using the d2 bootstrapper, open it up and hit bootstrap recovery and when it says success hit ok. Then hit reboot recovery

3. Once in recovery the controlls are power button to go back, camera button as enter, and volume rocker to scroll. you should do a nandroid backup by scrolling down to backup and restore and enter and then hitting backup.

4. Once it finishes the backup go back to the main menu and go to mounts and storage, then you will mount system. You will know the system is mounted when the option changes from "mount system" to "unmount system"

5. Go back to the main menu and go to install zip and then install zip from sd card, you will have to scroll down to find the zip file. When you find the zip hit enter and a menu will come up with a bunch of nos and a yes. Scroll down to yes and hit enter.

6. It will go through the process of installing the zip which will take a few minutes. Ince it finishes it should kick you back to the main screen. Go down to mounts and storage again and check that the system is no longer mounted. It should say "mount system" go back to the main menu and reboot the system.

7. First boot could take a while so be patient, but once it boots up you will notice the black bar and you're done.

OP
reyrey2435

reyrey2435

Reaction score
thank you once again so much one more question do i need to save and backup data and all that stuff if so where do i back it up at?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For this rom you need not do any backups since it doesn't require you to wipe data or cache so don't worry about it. But for future refference if you ever flash a rom that does require it, all you have to do is use titanium backup to do a batch backup of all your apps and after you boot up the first time you just do a batch restore. Pretty simple but again you don't have to worry about it this time.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh but following step 3 in my little tutorial will make a backup of your stock system so if you ever need to go back it will be saved on your sd card.

OP
reyrey2435

reyrey2435

Reaction score
i really do appreciate your info and help ive asked fpr help many times and have never been helped thank you man i really appreciate you taking the time especially this late dancedroid

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey no worries. Alright i'm off to bed so i'll check in with you tomorrow. One more word of advice, make sure you're battery is at a full charge when you do this and make sure you are fully charged as well. Meaning make sure you feel comfortable. The first rom is always the most stressful.

xiixmmiii

Reaction score
1. Download the rom and place it on the root of your sd card, meaning not in any folders just on the base

once the rom is downloaded how do i place it on the root of the sd card?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It depends on how you're downloading it. If your doing it from the phone then you just use the file manager to find it in the download folder and move it to the base of the card. If you're doing it from the computer than when you transfer it to the sd card just leave it on the base of the sd card.

xiixmmiii

Reaction score
thanks....i used astro to move it to mnt/sdcard....is this correct?.....sorry im new to this rooting stuff lol

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And just to clarify the above instructions are to be used only for squidly's 2.3.2 rom